1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost some of my HD channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jhensarling, Sep 6, 2013.

1. jhensarling

jhensarling New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Texas
    I have one H20 HD receiver, a Slim Line 5 LNB for Satellite dish and a 6x8 switch. I have lost some of my HD Channels, like 231, Food Network and 244, USA, 245, TNT and 202 CNN along with
    my local broadcast channels. This is not a complete list, but partial.....

We have reset the reciever, no change, I checked the dish, which is installed on a pole, concreted in ground, pole is straight, bubble is in middle of level, the dish bolts are all tight. nothing
    moves, I checked the 4 cable connections on the LNB, all were tight, no corrosion. I then checked the 4 connections from the LNB where they enter the 6x8 switch. all of them were good, tight
    and no corrosion. I then checked the cable on the bottom of the 6x8 switch, the cable that goes into house to the H20 receiver. It was tight, but, the inside was corroded/rusted and copper tip that
    sticks into the plug was rusted into.... I cut the end off, and put a new connector on and screwed into another out port on the 6x8 switch...no change.... I found another Slimline 5 LNB and installed it
    on the dish.... After installing that LNB, I reset the receiver and I was able to pickup 202, CNN, 245, TNT, but no local channels, 231, Food Network or 244, USA....

Is my problem in the switch? Could it be the used LNB that I put on was bad? Do the 4 cables coming from the LNB carry all the channels? If so, could I just use a barrel connector and connect
    one to the cable going into the house and bypass the switch?

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    What are your signal levels?

3. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    In theory one cable off the LNB you have will work fine it's when you get past 4 tuners that you need the switch.
    One thing how is your system grounded? at the switch? or is there a grounding block someplace else that it's going through?
    If you had a corroded connection it may have damaged the switch as well and not just the port it was on.

4. jhensarling

jhensarling New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Texas
    To: RunnerFL, I wrote down what each one was on each transponder....but I do not have the list with me...101 was 80s and 90s, some of the others on the other transponders, has a few in the 30s, 40's and 60's.... however,I do not know
    which channels are on what..... Everything worked fine one day and now it is not all good...no bad weather r strong winds....

To:eek:taliema, If I connect one of the 4 cables to the cable going to my only receiver, and I don't get all of my channels, then it is probably the dish has gotten out of alignment? Also, there is no grounding block,
    where should one be? Can I ground the dish itself by connecting ground wire to bolt on dish bracket or do I need a grounding block that accepts feed in from LNB and out to receiver that has a ground?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Is the H20 your only DirecTV receiver/DVR? If so, then yes I would bypass the switch entirely and just cross-connect any one of the four coax from the dish directly to the receiver. You can cycle through all four of the coax from the dish and see if you get different results (see if you find one that works properly).

If you find one (or more) coax that work, and one (or more) that don't, then you either have an LNB problem or a coax/connector problem on the line(s) that don't work. But if you only have one receiver and find one or more lines that do work, you've got a working system.

If you have more than one receiver, is the problem the same on all? If you get all the channels on one receiver, and not on another, try swapping the two and see if the problem stays with the receiver, or with the location. If it stays with the receiver, then it's a defective receiver. If it stays with the location, then it is an LNB/wiring problem of some type.

As to your signal levels, you need to check all transponders on all satellites. You should have mostly mid 90's or higher on 101 (there are a few that might be low or zero). You should have high 80's or 90's on 99c and 103ca and 103cb (CONUS). On 99s and 103s you may have a lot of low or zero readings, but the transponder that carries your local channels should be high.

Post your readings in a matrix format like this:
    Satellite 101
    1-8 xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx
    9-16 xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx
    17-24 xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx
    25-32 xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx, xx

Satellite 99c
    (same as above)

Satellite 103ca
    (same as above)

Satellite 103cb
    (same as above)

where xx = the signal reading or N/A that you see.

6. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    If you are in Texas, then, except for the two spot beam transponders or you were having a storm when you checked, the signals should be above 95 with a few transponders hitting 100. HD does not come from 101, though. All of the HD comes from either 99 or 103. The numbers on 99 and 103 are slightly lower than the numbers on 101, but again, unless you are having a storm, the numbers on 99c, 103ca and 103cb should all be above 85.

If you are farther north or farther east, the numbers are lower, but even in North Carolina, my numbers on 101 are above 95 (with six of the transpondors being 100) and on 99 and 103 are above 87 (with most of the transponders above 90). Because you are farther west and farther south than I am, your numbers should be higher than mine.