Loud burst of static noise

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Feb 5, 2019 #1 of 25
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I was calmly watching live DTV content on my downstairs setup when, as a commercial for HBO’s True Detective came up, the audio changed to a VERY LOUD burst of static. It scared me to death, and I was concerned that my speakers could have been damaged. When the commercial finished, the noise went away.

Later in the evening, I was watching a recorded program on my bedroom setup, and the same True Detective commercial came up, and there was the same burst of loud static. Since it was a recording, I was able to rewind and listen to the same spot in the recording. Again, there was a burst of loud static, so it is in the broadcast, not something wrong with my equipment.

I have saved the recording. Would there be any value in sending an audio clip of the static to DTV Support to see what they have to say about it? Any one else ever have something similar happen?

Gimpygod and HoTat2 like this.
  2. Feb 5, 2019 #2 of 25
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I experienced the same thing.
    Yesterday this happened twice on a C61K.
    This morning it happened on an HR54-500
    I think it was random and not related to a True Detective commercial.
    It is extremely LOUD and I too was concerned for my speakers.

Edit: Just happened again on a different c61k and it WAS definitely during a True Detective commercial.

Edit2: Was watching MSNBC.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  3. Feb 5, 2019 #3 of 25
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for confirming that I am not crazy. Any idea what might be causing it? I am leaving my volume set lower in an attempt to prevent speaker damage. I will be surprised if we don’t hear from others who encounter the same issue.

Edit: The three times it happened to me yesterday were when I was watching channel 356 (MSNBC). It is possible that the issue only occurs on this channel, or limited channels. If you or anyone else experiences the issue, please note the channel you are watching and report it here. Also, pause and re-wind to make sure the noise is in the DTV signal (best to turn your volume way down before doing this). I am hoping there are additional reports so that we can get to the bottom of this.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. Feb 5, 2019 #4 of 25
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Same here twice while watching FOX news (ch. 360) during a commercial break on my HR54 ...

Scared the bejesus out of me both times and I couldn't grab the remote fast enough to temporarily change channels.

I don't know if I want to return to that channel for the time being ....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

5. Feb 5, 2019 #5 of 25
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Wow, three different users with similar experiences. What could be causing this? Seeing the latest report which involves a channel I never watch leads me to believe that the issue may not be channel-specific, or content-specific.

6. Feb 5, 2019 #6 of 25
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I've had it for 2 days --and it's only for true detective :mad:

7. Feb 5, 2019 #7 of 25
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    On the actual True Detective show (which I have recorded, but have not started watching yet), or on commercials for the show? I wonder why something on the show might be triggering the static bursts?

8. Feb 5, 2019 #8 of 25
    RickL

RickL Cool Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Experienced it at least 3 times. Only that commercial.
    Fox news directv. Maybe other channels too. I don't recall.

9. Feb 5, 2019 #9 of 25
    JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for sharing, Rick. I have been on DTV quite a bit today, but have not heard any static noise bursts. I haven’t seen the True Detective commercial either, so it may be a factor. Very strange issue.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I would check other forums for other providers . Maybe the commercial is doing it on purpose

11. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Believe me, the noise is loud enough that it cannot be on purpose.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You never know what an advertiser would do these days

dreadlk likes this.
  13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The burst of noise is probably a corruption in the file.

14. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Well, of course. But why is it happening? Seriously, it is loud enough to potentially cause damage to speakers. I don’t think we need to make light of the issue.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  15. Gimpygod

Gimpygod New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Same issue here: True Detective commercial on game show network, food network and msnbc.

My subtle reaction of shitting my pants, PTSD, and holding a remote with finger on mute while screaming “never again!” During commercial breaks suggests the phenomenon isn’t purposefully done. At roughly 105-110 dB this is an assault on speakers and living creatures alike.

2 questions, what the heck is this and how do you safely remove a cat from a ceiling light fixture?

I WANT MORE likes this.
  16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm not making light - I'm stating my opinion on the cause. And I was responding to a post that suggested that the burst was intentional.

17. rccoleman

rccoleman AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    Same here on CNN with the same True Detective teaser. Scared the living crap out of me and it seemed to get louder as it went on. It was really, really loud.

Gimpygod likes this.
  18. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I wonder how we can make someone aware of this issue?

Edit: I sent an email to HBO to report the issue.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  19. Gimpygod

Gimpygod New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    I’ll say it, in the deep of night I have cried reliving TDC attack(true detective commercial). In my defense it’s a really alpha manly blubbering.

20. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Could you translate that second sentence into English, please?