Loud humming/vibrating HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tybee Bill, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    My HR20 sits on a glass shelf and vibrates like crazy. If I lift right rear corner of the box, it quiets down. Is it a bad fan starting to go? Sometimes my cat sleeps on top of the box to stay warm. That quiets it down also. What gives?

2. tabraha

tabraha Cool Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Most likely one of the screws on the chassis vibrated loose or the weight of the cat may have messed with it a slight bit allowing something to vibrate loose. I'd check those and see if it goes away. If not add one of the small circular rubber pads to the back right to support that corner a little more. If it goes away you are probably OK. If the noise stays then it's probably a fan going out.

P.S. I would advise against the cat sleeping on the box. Hate to have your house burn down because of a furball getting ingested into that super hot little box! The HR20 is by far the hottest running piece of consumer hardware I have ever run across.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It sounds like it's not sitting exactly flat.

When you lift the one corner that quiets it down, try proping it up with a piece of cardboard or some other shim.

If this keeps it quiet then I think it's just not sitting level and the fan/hard drive vibration translates across the gap.

Hey, it's a theory. :grin:

Mike

4. mabellboi

mabellboi Mentor

Sep 16, 2007
    the loud humming I experience is due to the front face plate being slightly loose. i've solved this in the past by wedging something under the corner... I definitly would block kitty from the top of it... granted, it's EXTREMLY warm, and that is why he/she is there, but you have to keep it as cool as it can get (which mine is always running about 126 degrees (per the info screen). I'm just waiting for a new box to come out with little bugs so I can upgrade... i've never been able to attach this box to the internet, and am tired of replacements to try to do so...

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is a known issue going back several years. It's basically the vibration of the moving parts being transferred to the glass. It won't hurt the DVR or glass, but it is annoying. I've found the best thing to to is to use squares of tissue folded in half several times under the feet. Sometimes it's also necessary to stabilize the access card with a small wedge of paper but that's something you should be very careful of.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I had a HR21 in the bedroom but decided to swap it with a HR20, wanted the nice black box in the entertainment center. The HR20 sounded like a washing machine at night, between the fan noise and the harddisk seeking all night. I tried a couple different things under the feet on the bottom of it but while it helped with some of the vibration transfer to the shelf didn't do anything for the harddrive noise. Finally ended up getting a HR22 for the bedroom, now it's nice and quiet again:D

7. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    It was the access card that was the main problem. Thanks for the help.:)

8. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I'd also advise keeping the cat off of it ;)

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    hey, if it stops the vibrating.. you gotta do what you gotta do :):)

10. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    Back in October you guys warned me about flaming furballs when my cat slept on top of my HR20. I raise it up so there was about 2 inches of clearence on top. She crawled in anyway and I didn't stop her.

New hazard.....Cat Barf.:(

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It didn't get inside did it? :eek:

Mike

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah...those HR20's sure have alot of vibration from that spinning hard drive, that's for sure....good for a humm-a-long, but not much more. :D

The newer HD DVRs seem to have a better design inside with vibration-reducing grommets on the hard disks.

You could always get once of those decorative placemats to curb the hummmmmmmmmmmmm....;)

13. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    Just missed the open vents. I raised it up another inch so now she just gives me dirty looks and sleeps on the bed.

BTW I placed it a wooden platform, secured the chatering access card and it is quiet as a mouse.

14. t_h

t_h Icon

Mar 7, 2008
    I'm sure the directv guys have a checklist they go through when they receive a non functioning receiver. I wonder if they've got a checklist item for "internal cat barf" or if someone has to write that in under "Other".