1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low voltage plug sizes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Oct 13, 2011.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Is there any kind of a jig available to determine the size of push-in connectors used on external power supplies, similar to the way we check screw sizes at the hardware store? I have to acquire a lot of 5.5 VDC wall power supplies and will favor the purchase of those with plugs that match the product that I need them for. I will therefore favor the purchase of plug compatible ones and splice the rest.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Using caliper would tell you, don't forget - such plugs defined by two diameters - external and internal.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The center pin diameter is just as critical as the outer barrel diameter. The other factor is polarity. I'm not sure how many variations there are, but we're talking 'few', not dozens.

Try searching for 'power plug configurations' or something similar.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How do you plan to do that? If you're gonna do what I think I'm reading in your OP, you're gonna have problems.

I don't have any real expertise in the sizing of the plugs themselves. I always thought it depended on the voltage, in other words wouldn't all 5.5VDC plugs be the same size? I know when I misplace a cord for a device, I look on the device and see what the voltage is and root thru a bin and find an external power supply that matches the voltage and they always fit. Admittedly, I don't do this often, so I might have been just lucky each time.

Rich

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    No, rich, no ! Don't do that !

Totally different cases - all manufacturers attemting to protect their investment and produce those brick in many variations, include a most dangerous for _your_ investment - with inverted polarity. Same phys sizes and PUFF (!) - your device :burned in flames". :(

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Maybe I should have mentioned in my opening post that I'm a repair technician. :eek2:

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Would you limit posters here by certain level of professionalism ? Likes say - only EE who have experience with design/manufacturing/testing/etc external power supplies could answer here ! :)

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    In another thread where I have queried similarly, I have been told that Radio Shack stores have a set of size-labeled plugs that they use to assist in matching replacement plugs but it is not for sale, and what I am looking for is a set or panel of labeled jacks.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You didn't read my post correctly. I do check to see if the voltages are the same. There's usually not anything else on the devices themselves except the voltage required. Thankfully, a lot of manufacturers are putting the names of the devices on the power cords. Roku is a good example of this. All their external power supplies have "Roku" on them.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So, a 5.5VDC plug can vary in size? I know when you go to 120VAC and above, the plugs are all the same size with regard to voltage. In other words, a 220VAC plug is configured differently than a 120VAC plug or a 480VAC plug. Just so you cannot (that's not an absolute) mix them up.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, I think most of us know that by now.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I guess I'm just confused. If they have that device, doesn't that mean that a 5.5VDC will be the same size as every other 5.5VDC plug? How else would you know the voltage the plug is designed for?

Rich

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The ones I've examined usually specify maximum output current and they indicate polarity with a labeled arc and center pin drawing.

Now that most of these "wallwarts" are switching supples rather than linear regulators, they can withstand shorts. Linear regulator wallwarts commonly had pigtail fuses in them that blew when shorted.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Ooops. You missed other very important parameter - max load or sustaining load: mA or A (amperes).

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Some of the outfits that retail adapters have what is often called a "cat o' nine tails" that is essentially a bundle of cable ends that are marked with a reference number. The idea is that you try each until you find one that fits.

As for the insistence that plug inside diameter is somehow different from jack pin diameter, that's just silly.

For future reference, the jack is the "port" on the device to be powered and the plug in on the end of the cable and inserts into the jack.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got a Roku switching adapter in front of me and it says "Output +5V (I'm assuming DC, is that correct?) and the current is 2.5 amps. Doesn't really give you much more info than that except for the input voltage which is 100 to 240VAC at either 50 or 60Hz. There is a polarity symbol.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    On the Roku, the device itself does say 5V, 2.5A. But the amperage is dependent on the device not the power supplied. In other words as long as you supply 5V, the Roku is gonna pull 2.5A.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gotta look at some other devices. I don't think they all give the amperage.

Rich

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, they are must have it, by a standard.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Ummm, lets not go in that direction ...
    I did state "max" and "sustain" current of each PS.
    It's a critical parameter of the power supply - do not mix with a particular load [Roku box].