MacGyver 2016

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Yes, folks, I was a fan of the original series. This is not the original series.

Anyone want to describe the multiple fails in this video clip? Anyone? Anyone?

Back to my rule of not watching a TV series in it's first season. If it gets renewed, then maybe I'll play catch up.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Not watching on principal.

3. seern

seern Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    It was lame but I will give it a second week and realize its is not the original.

1 person likes this.
  4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    More or less scientifically correct than CSI:Cyber? :D

The show is a cartoon played by humans. Don't take it seriously. Now if you excuse me, I have to run and catch a plane. :rolleyes:

(Perhaps they remade MacGruber instead of MacGyver?)

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Henry Winkler and Lee David Zlotoff are named Producers, though no way of knowing how involved they are. I didn't like them using the Thornton or Dalton names.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    In plain English, the MacGyver character lacks everything the original had. Is this the actor fault? Is it the director fault? I think it is both. It will take a small miracle for this show to do a decent run.

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I blame the writers and, therefore, the script. Too many tropes and weak writing.

There are parts that I liked. That MacGyver wasn't a "know everything", and that everyone on the three member team had their own specialties. I would have loved to see a "Angie MacGyver" instead of a "Angus" to promote girls in science and math.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think I'll keep watching for the first several episodes to see how it settles in.

9. Oct 5, 2016 #9 of 29
    Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Because that worked out so well for Ghostbusters.

1 person likes this.
  10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This show got a full season pickup from CBS this week, so it must have some appeal to somebody.

11. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It's not bad for a 8 PM EST timeslot.

12. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Maybe I'll binge watch it while working over Christmas break.

13. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Congratulations, MacGyver, you have set a record. Three strikes in under two minutes.

Forget for a moment that 'Angus' looks like someone I would rather slap than trust to find and punish my daughter's kidnapper. Is is just me (there's the wedge for your troll reply to my post, BTW) or is that the prissiest haircut since 1980?

1. Gratuitous sexual innuendo. Right off the bat. Not uncommon for lame TV, I guess, but please. A shot of people having wild sex on a laptop has no place. And I am no prude, I've been recording Howard Stern since 2002. I wonder, just what benefit did the story or the audience get from that 2-second clip. And, 'Ew!'

2. Total disregard for humanity. Within 30 seconds, a sniper guns down four bogies. Good for him, they probably deserved it. But the character's reaction was an evil smile, and a 'take that!' attitude. He did not deal with the gravity of taking four human lives or depriving four mothers of their sons. A real, relatable character would take no pleasure in killing baddies. None at all.

George Eads' character is not a hero, he's a monster. Go watch a show that is written right. In Flashpoint, when the team leader said 'Scorpio', his sniper took someone out, but it was always very difficult to do for him, emotionally. A heavy burden. They took that seriously, and not like they were playing beer pong at a frat party. In this turkey here the bad guys might as well been the one-dimensional duck cutouts at a shooting gallery.

3. Total disregard for proper strategy. They are under cover at a fancy party with bad guys. What is the first thing 'Angus's' superior does when he arrives? Goes directly up to him and talks surreptitiously to him. You're undercover, you idiots, stop drawing attention to yourselves and the fact that you know each other. But they probably read the script ahead of time and knew that (yawn) everybody would prevail at the 52-minute mark.

So, a record. They should be very proud of themselves. Show cancelled.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    C'mon man, no one died, is just a show. But in that point, have you seen the "home movies" from soldiers on out real wars, they take as much pride and enjoyment when taking the Mofo that was trying to take them out. So yeah, it happens, unfortunately.

I enjoy this show. May not be as good as the real one, but is good. BTW, Riley is super hot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    This is MacGyver ... not a realistic documentary. I do not expect serious reactions.

16. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    A NYC 7, and an LA 4.

17. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I like the last prison episode.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008