1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macroblocking/Tiling

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by regularguy, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regularguy

regularguy Cool Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I'm sorry if I just missed it, but are there any resources here for macroblocking or tiling? I did a general search and found scattered posts, but I wonder whether it's an issue ever covered in one place.

I just bought a new tv and I've been noticing considerable macroblocking on HD channels. I'm trying to figure out whether it's the tv or directv. I have an HR20 hooked up through hdmi. It's most prevalent in action scenes or quick cuts. I watched a movie last night on hbo hd and ever flash of light or explosion looked like a jigsaw puzzle. Another place where it really shows up is on discovery hd -- there is a commercial where they show off their 1080i theater, and it involves lots of quick cuts and stuff. It looks very noticeable.

Are there any fixes to try or things folks have done that make it better? Could it be hardware? Cable? I'm assuming this is not a problem with the television -- maybe even the opposite -- maybe the fact that I have a good 1080p tv is pronouncing an existing issue. By the way, I temporarily hooked up my tivo hd dvr to the same tv and saw the same problem.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    First, :welcome_s !!!

Second, thanks for calling it by its proper name of macroblocking. A lot of people call it pixelation or "pixellization". I do think that if you search by those words you'd probably also find a lot of interesting posts.

Different channels have different amounts of macroblocking, and it's a combination of how the signal is sent by the content provider, how it's compressed (MPEG2 vs. MPEG4), and the bitrate that is used. Live channels tend to be the worst because it's all done real-time, at the station or at a facility nearby.

In the near-term future, DIRECTV will continue to improve its encoders, and the new satellite that's going to go live soon will give more bandwidth for HD.

3. regularguy

regularguy Cool Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Thanks Stuart. It sounds like you would think it's just a source issue and that there's not much I can do about it.

Maybe I should hook up a dvd and see if it does the same.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I will say it's not an HR20 issue, if that's what you mean.

I bet you'll find a lot of macroblocking in cheaper DVDs, I see it all the time.

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I think you wil find that live sports and fast action are the biggest offenders and the usual cause is the actual feeds fromt these events. Some networks are better than others. A lot of the "high def cameras" don't render green grass very well and can be very annoying whrn they are panning on a fast moving object.

The second factor mentioned is the compression techniques and the equipment and engineering team at the local broadcast station. This is new stuff to a lot of them and they are only part way up the learning curve.

Bob

6. regularguy

regularguy Cool Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether it's my new tv, while I can still return it. Sounds like it isn't. If it's not the HR20 or the tv or the cable, I just need to live with it until the technology improves. That's ok with me.

It doesn't sound like it's likely that switching to component instead of hdmi would make a difference.

The irony is that my last tv, which was not as nice as this one, didn't show it as much. So the better tv makes the issue worse!

7. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    All the above suggestions are likely, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out the TV right away either. Maybe you can try playing with native on/off and also supported resolutions from both the HR-20 and your TV to try to find the right mix.

There are also more subtle things, like if your previous 27" looked great from 6 feet away, but now your 60 incher doesn't look so hot from the same distance. :)

Anyway, just a couple of things to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.