1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad at Amazon for their pricing policies

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dmspen, Feb 26, 2018.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Last week I bough a FireTV from Amazon. I have a first generation Fire stick and its response time and such is awful. Solution? Upgrade.
    I bought the newest 4K FireTV for $69.99. Two days later it goes on sale for $49.99.
    I chatted with Amazon who would not refund the difference. Their statement was "We search all over to get you the best price at the time". Clearly someone reading a script. I tried to explain this was THEIR product and every store in the nation will refund a difference within 2 days. They wouldn't budge.
    I went to Amazon and returned the one I originally bought and got the one at $49.99. To me this is a ridiculous policy on their own products.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Best Buy used to would price match, even their own store prices, for 30 days after purchase. The last thing I bought there was a 23" monitor and I was told then that the time had been changed to 15 days now.

I have done what you did once or twice and I agree it makes no sense to do that and not just give a credit for the difference.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Amazon seems to have their ways to do things and they don't deviate. What makes little sense to us doesn't seem to faze them. Who's right? Just a guess, Amazon? They seem to be doing everything correctly. The more I use Amazon the more I'm impressed by the way they do business.

Rich

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Personally, avoiding the hassle of arguing with Amazon, returning the product and reordering is worth the $20 difference. I have not had such a problem with Amazon. I bought their first Fire stick when they had it on sale for $20. Last week I got a Microsoft mouse for $8, including two-day free shipping.

Rich likes this.
  5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
  6. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I got my new FireTV last night, the 'old' one (5 days old now) goes back tomorrow. I'm sure this cost them more than the $20 difference...

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't think that bothers Amazon. They have a very strange business plan, profit not being their sole concern.

Rich

8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I agree that Amazon's business plan is somewhat unusual. I keep seeing messages about free shipping for orders of $35 or more, yet my last three purchases have been well under that amount and included free two-day shipping.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We have been shopping with Amazon since 1998 and last year our regular order count averaged about one every other day. And that doesn't include Amazon Fresh which we now can't get, grumble, grumble.

Anyway, many of their policies make sense only in the context of a big picture goal to keep human intervention to a minimum. The one that drives me nuts is the "add in" items where you only get the price if you order as an add in to another other exceeding $25. Then the add in item gets shipped separately because they don't have it where the other item is coming from.

In the past, when requested they gave us the "sale" price, but recently that policy seems to have changed on some, or maybe all, items. Obviously, on a case-by-case basis it is cheaper to have someone just reduce the charge than it is to ship a new one at less cost and handle the returned item.

But maybe they just don't want to have live people assigned to dealing with the issue.

Nonetheless it's hard to argue with success.

Amazon earnings are growing rapidly, though Amazon Web Services (AWS), which rents computing power and software tools to businesses, continued to churn out cash, providing the company with flexibility to continue investing.

In its last quarter, Amazon’s North American retail segment more than doubled its operating income from a year earlier and its operating margin widened from 3.1 percent a year ago to 4.5 percent. This is attributed to its fast-growing warehouse network substantially funded by the AWS money. Measured by the square footage, Amazon’s warehouse/sorting network was 30 percent larger in the last holiday quarter 2017 than the previous holiday season.

Bezos keeps dumping money into the operation instead of catering to the normal press analyst view and it's paying off. As a result, though, his and Amazon's PR hasn't been so good recently.

Part of that bad PR is political - his liberal views are reflected in The Washington Post which he owns, though they swear he doesn't interfere in operations. That denial is sort of hollow as who's going to want to risk angering the owner?

Rich likes this.
  10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The only bad PR that I've heard about Amazon (ignoring the old saying "there is no such thing as bad publicity"), has been in tweets. Those tweets included that Amazon doesn't pay taxes and they are ripping off the USPS.
    First, they do pay taxes, but apparently, not much in Federal taxes. But no one is alleging that what they are doing is illegal. If there are provisions in the tax code where they end up with a $0.00 owed in Federal taxes, why wouldn't they avail themselves of those codes? And two parties went into negotiations for a contract to deliver Amazon packages on Sundays. I'm guessing Amazon didn't hold a gun to the USPS, so how can they be ripping them off?

Rich likes this.
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't have a Prime membership, Bill?

Rich

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Yes, I've had a prime membership for several years. I'm not complaining, just pointing out that I see the offer for free shipping on orders of $35 or more, yet I still get free shipping on Prime items less than that price. That seems inconsistent.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're gonna get free shipping on all items marked Prime. On items not marked Prime you may or may not pay shipping.

Rich

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Big news this morning is that Amazon has purchased Ring, supposedly for around a Billion Dollars. Word has it that Amazon wants to get more involved in home security and that Ring will aid in that area.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If I remember correctly Amazon was promoting "inside the door" delivery where the delivery person could open the door via an app to leave a package inside. Thanks to porch pirates Ring's business can be expected to grow.

16. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The next time that you see that, read it closer. They are typically offering to upgrade your free delivery from 2 days to next day (even same day if you live in/near a large city) with some $35 purchases.

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The problem with that, from my standpoint, is that they require that you purchase the electronic lock from them. I might have considered this service if they would have allowed me to continue to use the electronic lock that I already own.

18. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The taxes that the tweeter was (incorrectly) talking about was sales tax. However, he chose the wrong Internet retailer to make that claim about. As of last March, Amazon has been collecting sales tax in every states that collects sales tax.

19. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
  20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We received 285 Amazon Prime non-digital orders in 2017, so even at the new rate that 2-day shipping to our rural area works out to 42¢ per order which I'd call a "loss leader", except....

We also watch TV shows on Prime Video such as "Bosch" and listen to some Prime Music playlists on our Echo's and....

I can't get very upset with Amazon increasing the Prime membership. Yes, I know that headlines recently noted they now have 100,000,000 Prime customers so that $20 increase means $2 billion in increased revenues. And yes, their non-retail functions like Amazon Web Services (their cloud business) make a lot of money. But their retail operation does not. Further, at the end of December the Motley Fool noted Amazon had never paid any dividends to its owners, instead reinvesting in its business. The big complaint about Amazon is that it is a big presence in retail with a lot of clout. My reaction is "good, so long as it means I get good deals."

The benefits of Prime depend upon some personal factors. We're retired and don't like to leave our house. My rule of thumb is that I cannot drive my car anywhere in my rural area to buy something without incurring a $5 cost. And at the nearest stores in my rural area stuff will cost at least 10% more than it does through Amazon including that 42¢.

If you order a lot of stuff through/from Amazon, Prime is a bargain. If you don't, perhaps it's not.

Rich likes this.