1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Men "Meditations in an Emergency" OAD 10/26/08

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    From Wikipedia:

I shall miss this show. More than any in recent years, I feel I've gotten to know these characters, as if they were people. I feel what they feel. That's outstanding acting and writing.

I give them so much credit for finally finding a vibe that allows them to echo the early 1960s without putting them so much in the foreground. In other words, they've found the perfect mix of character to cigarette. (Sorry, I've been working on that one all morning.)

I had guessed some of the major points in this episode before it aired, but it made no difference. I'd correctly guessed that...
    Betty was pregnant, Don would come back, he would do something very un-Don-like to get back home, and Duck would be his own undoing
    but I was wrong because I thought that...
    Kinsey would be assassinated, Roger would go back to his wife or have another heart attack, Father Gill would say he had fallen for Peggy, and Pete would pretend to accede to Trudy in order to get Clearasil back.

Putting this episode in the midst of the Cuban Missile Crisis was inspired. It added a huge level of tension that allowed all the characters to sort out their lives and decisions with great clarity.

I would be very surprised if this show didn't come back for a third season, but I know I'll have to wait. It won't be easy.

By the way, for Mad Men fans, I hope you caught SNL with Jon Hamm on Saturday. Brilliant! They had a lot of fun. One more spoiler tag on that:

Two additional members of the Mad Men cast show up as well.

2. compac

compac Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Yes on year 3... as I peer into the future I also see

Don takes the S.C. merger $$ then goes west... takes his family and the best of his staff. Starts.... a new Ad Agency Duh!

Also, wife Betty has a miscarriage and returns to being a near psycho wife and bitchy mom..

Pete get the Adoption Agency to have his wife adopt his child, unbeknownst to her. (Peggy's kid)

Of course Joan dumps her MD, fiancé

BTW, Can any "House" fans tell me if the woman who played bitchy Doc Amber is the same new female character who congratulated Betty on being pregnant?

3. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't see Don taking Betty west. I think that the staredown and Don's speech pretty much took Duck out of the equation, so Sterling Cooper will come into the next season (set in 1964? 1965?) with Roger Sterling as President, Bert Cooper retired, and Don Draper as Vice President. Don will agree that television is the future and by the next season Harry Crane will be head of creative.

I do like the twist of having Pete try to adopt his own child, but it was implied that Peggy's sister possibly took the baby (or possibly did not.) At any rate, would Trudy accept a 2-year-old? More likely she would want an infant as many couples do.

Interesting take, "near psycho wife and bitchy mom" as I don't see her that way. I'd like to hear more about why you do.

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    ..oh and the tiniest little nitpick, unworthy of post #1:

Don's office door says "DONALD DRAPER."
    Freddy's office door said "FREDERICK RUMSEN."
    Although it was only shown in the background, it seems Peggy's office door says "PEGGY OLSON" not "MARGARET OLSON." I don't remember if Pete's says "PETE" or "PETER" but I bet it says "PETER."

5. compac

compac Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Yes, Duck is gone, that double dealn' MotherDucker...

But who will be Don's foil, bad guy, at work..?

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    "If the world is still here Monday, we’ll talk,” said Don, getting up to leave the conference room.

If I were the show's director and knew there was going to be a third season, I would have been sorely tempted to edit so that scene and Don's exit was the end of this season finale.

At the same time I recognize that the message of the episode is from Frank O'Hara's Meditations in an Emergency which begins:
    However, the episode for me was all about dramatic confrontation, harsh realizations, and complex negotiations.

Don and Duck, of course, but only so far as the dramatic confrontation and harsh realization - gee, Don has no contract! Then there was Peggy and Pete and Peggy and Father Gill. She follows her own advice to Pete: “Tell the truth. Don’t worry about the outcome. People respect that.” In her case, there's strength coming from that position.

Finally, there is Betty and Don. We know now that there was a real chance that the world might not have been there on Monday. But ultimately, cooler heads prevailed. While we remember that the Soviet's pulled their missiles out of Cuba, most don't remember that we pulled our missiles out of Turkey. Everyone saves face, gave up something, and lived together another day on the same planet. That's Betty and Don, with Don communicating with her outside the usual channels.

Again, there was so much subtle imagery in the show, it's hard to not to rattle on, and on, and on.

What I found that very amusing was the presentation of those unwilling to face facts versus those who accepted the reality, best presented by Pete explaining to his wife that the deck chairs from the family beach house will be in New York City and Don gently telling Joan that the office security protocol won't save anyone.

Can't wait until next season.

7. SeptemberBaby

SeptemberBaby AllStar

Jul 8, 2005

Yes, that was her. She's been in a few episodes.

8. eco

eco Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I knew ducky was going to screw himself over.