Madder than a hornet at E* incompetence

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dmspen, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 4, 2008 #1 of 15
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I've been with Dish for 12 years.

Last week, I ordered a Dish'n it up replacement from my old 510. I got a 622 (my second).

Friday: 622 delivered. I hooked it up and received absolutely no signal. After playing around a bit I called Tech Support. He couldn't figure it out so scheduled a technician to stop by on Monday (fee waived).

Saturday: I played around some more, connected the coax coming in to other rxs and they worked fine. Connected the new 622 to other coax - nothing. Finally received an "Your receiver is not authorized" error. Called DISH again. This guy says I need to have my receiver activated on my account. OK, he tries that. Still nothing. We check the software version. Oops. Original s/w loaded. Come on Dish. Send these things out updated! Tech says he can't really activate the receiver until the latest software is updated. Tells me to turn off the receiver, wait for the software update and the receiver will be activated. He also cancels the tech on Monday since it appears to be an activation problem. DON'T I NEED A DOWNLINK TO UPDATE THE SOFTWARE!?

Sunday: As expected, the software didn't update. I realize that the only component I haven't switched out is the RF separator (splitter). I steal one from another receiver. BINGO! Signal ahoy! Software is updating, etc. Oops! What's this? "YOUR RECEIVER IS NOT AUTHORIZED...". Gee, I thought the guy on Saturday had taken care of this. Goota go over to friends for Super Bowl.

Sunday night: Calling DISH again. When giving the tech my number (after 15 minute hold), I get disconnected. ARG! Call again, over 10 minutes on hold. Explain entire situation. She says my receiver is activated. After reboots, etc, still no joy. Can't get past the activation screen. She says that they should never have sent a 622 without an appointment. I ask about getting a new splitter. Says she can ship me one - will take 5-7 business days. GREAT. They can't get a dude in a truck to toss one on my porch? She suggests scheduling an appointment since there's nothing else she can do (fee waived). Guess when next available is? FRIDAY! I hang up and reboot once more. For whatever reason, I now have the HD channels and nothing else, despite the activation problem.

So, I get scheduled for an appointment because the guy didn't know how to authorize my receiver and couldn't troubleshoot a bad splitter. Then I get 'authorized/activated' (did I?). Hung up on, the list goes on.

So, it's going to take DISH at least a week to get my upgrade working.:mad:

Oh, and last night I get a phone message reminding me of my appointment on Monday - the one that was cancelled.:nono2:

2. Feb 4, 2008 #2 of 15
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I thought they didn't permit self-installs of 622's. This may be the reason. Let an installer do the work.

3. Feb 4, 2008 #3 of 15
    theoak

theoak Guest

Nov 5, 2007
    By the sounds of it this 622 is at least your second receiver. At a bare minimum insist that you be waived the additional receiver fee until you get it up and going. It will probably only end up being a few bucks though ...

4. Feb 4, 2008 #4 of 15
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I did insist on not being charged. She said, "It's a monthly charge and is not pro-rated". As it's only a few bucks, it's not a big deal, but maybe I can wrangle something out of them.

5. Feb 4, 2008 #5 of 15
    theoak

theoak Guest

Nov 5, 2007
    Funny, I just got a 722. Upgraded from a 301. I told them from the beginning that I did not want to keep the 301 on, I just wanted the 722. Well, come install day, look at my activity on my account, and sure enough I see a pro-rated second receiver fee for my 301. Naturally, I called them and said, no - I do not want the second receiver. They credited me the money back.

Therefore, I am not convinced that they can not pro-rate you the charge.

Maybe you can get them then to waive the fee for this month ... ?

Hope it all works out ...

6. Feb 4, 2008 #6 of 15
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In the last 6 months I've had prorated charges for both hardware and programming, admittedly confusing proration, but prorated nonetheless. Maybe the "they" who can't are the wrong people to ask?

7. Feb 5, 2008 #7 of 15
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    In general, I've found that when you have an issue, Dish is pretty good about waiving charges mand such. After this issue is resolved, I'll call them about waiving a month or maybe free HD for life...;) whatever they'll give me. Since they should have installed the dumb thing in the first place, they'll feel guilty and liable...I hope.:rolleyes:

8. Feb 5, 2008 #8 of 15
    davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    A couple questions.Do you have a DPP lnb or 2 coax cables comming from the dish? did you use the DPP seperator if you have the DPP lnb. Did you run a check switch and recieve all the sats. 622 is a HD dual tuner which needs a 1000.2 dish or 2 dishes. what have you got outside for a dish? A 622 is not plug and play with a dish 500 without a new dish or another dish

9. Feb 6, 2008 #9 of 15
    tm22721

tm22721 Legend

Nov 8, 2002
    I upgraded my rcvrs to 722s.

Between the parade of incompetent techs and CSR roulette it has taken two months to stabilize the system and straighten out the billing.

Picture still breaks up hourly but I have decided to live with it.

10. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I have 2 dishes with a single coax for each receiver. I already have 1 622 and it works fine. When I connect the separator I only get 129. I suspect that the separator I borrowed from my 522 has a different frequency band than a DPP separator, but you'd think I'd still pick up 110/119. There's also the issue of receiver authorization.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Assuming you have the good seperator connected to the receiver, which means the receiver is getting good sat signal, your box should probably complete its activation automatically if you turn it off when you go to bed. It will usually update and reboot itself overnight. It wouldn't hurt to ask Dish to re-send an activation hit to the receiver before you do this.

12. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    Mind posting your full setup including which LNBs and switches (if any) you have in your setup? From what you said in this statement it just sounds like you have a setup that won't support another 622 without a switch or switching out your current LNBF with a DPP twin.

13. steelhorse

steelhorse Legend

Apr 27, 2004
    Did you try a check switch?

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    The DISH installer will be here this afternoon. I'll post the results later.

15. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    All is well - mostly. The DISH installer arrived and he connected my 622. Worked fine.

HOWEVER:
    Since then, I've experienced dropouts on my other 622. Last night it just froze trying to download the guide. I had paused a show and gone away for a few. When I came back, it had clearly lost signal, gone into sat acquire, then tried to download the interactive programming guide. Nuthin'. Power off reset and all was good.

Odd though. It's never happened before. I ran a system info check. I've never noticed that it tells you the dropouts you had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.