1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!#! - Mailbox post rotted out !

Discussion in 'The OT' started by scooper, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1 of 21
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Any suggestions on alternatives ?

Fortunately, today I caught my contractor rural delivery person and filled out a card for them to hold our mail for now, although that will mean stopping at the post Office daily to get it until...

Options -

1 (easiest) - rent a PO Box at either the Post Office or at the local pack'n'Ship

2. Goto Lowes Depot and get a post setup of some kind, and spend a good part of Saturday getting it put in.
    There are , of course , multiple materials that could be used...

2. Aug 7, 2012 #2 of 21
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I don't see what the debate is? Either you rent a PO Box and travel to get your mail or you go to Lowes and get another post.

3. Aug 7, 2012 #3 of 21
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Nice thing with post office boxes, at least here, you can set it up so that they'll email you if mail comes in that day. They'll even take UPS and FedEx packages and keep them for you to pick up (though USPS limits apply, must be 70 pounds or under Etc).

4. Aug 7, 2012 #4 of 21
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Is the mailbox is front of your home/property or in a area with multiple mailboxes?

if you have a community mailbox area, call your local post office and ask them about installing a cluster box. I did this several years back when I lived in California and the only thing we (the homeowners) had to do was get everyone to agree & sign a petition, appoint someone to act as delegate, pour the concrete foundation (our expense) and set the bolts which the USPS provided. After about a week, the USPS will install the boxes and give the keys to the delegate who is responsible for passing them out.

5. Aug 7, 2012 #5 of 21
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Just another home repair and not worth the consternation.

Go to Lowe's. Buy a 6' long 4x4 made from treated lumber. I bet you can buy one just like that. I could at my local hardware superstore, Menards. Dig a hole about 30" deep and put the post in the ground. Attach a wood plate to the top of it into which you can screw on your mailbox. Make the wood plate out of hardwood, not plywood or particle board, because most mailboxes screw into their mounting base from the sides.

Make sure you follow the USPS rules for how high and how far back from the road your mailbox needs to be. The box needs to be 41" to 45" off the ground, with its front 6" to 8" back from the curb. I had to put a new post under mine last year because it was too low.

USPS Mailbox Regulations

6. Aug 7, 2012 #6 of 21
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I've seen just a steel post pounded into the ground, with the box attached to the side. Has to follow guides that Mr. Spock posted.

7. Aug 7, 2012 #7 of 21
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    A treated 6 x 6 will last longer. Be tougher for someone to knock over too. Heavier though to handle. LOTS heavier.

That said, unless you get a lot of mail every day, there is something to be said for PO Boxes if your PO is close enough to be convenient. Keep in mind that some merchants won't accept PO boxes for shipment addresses despite the fact that UPS/FedEx will ship to them. Some POs will let you use their street address and the PO Box number as an apartment number if you ask them nicely. Other POs can be real dinks about it.

8. Aug 7, 2012 #8 of 21
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    The post office's recommendation that a post be no bigger than a 4x4 is a good one, at least up here where it gets cold. An errant snowplow can take out a mailbox in one swipe. I'd rather have my box clipped off clean that try to take on a snowplow. I could see that blade pivoting on too sturdy a post and trashing my retaining wall, too.

I came home one winter day to find my box lying on top of the snow bank by the side of the road. I screwed it back together with long wood screws but that only held for a while. Eventually I had to give up and have the post office hold my mail daily until spring and I could put a new post in the ground.

9. Aug 7, 2012 #9 of 21
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Here it's not about them being nice about it, there was an official form I filled out. The post office must be set up for enhanced PO box services though.

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/us...12]&varset(source)=sourceType:embedded#street

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    One of my neighbors in rural Wisconsin where I grew up had two mailboxes clipped by plows in a month. He went out and rented a power post hole digger (or ice auger, cant remember) and made a 4 foot hole in the ground, stuck a schedule 40 satellite dish pole about 4" in diameter in the hole, cemented it in, and filled the pole with cement as well.

As you predicted, the plow hit the pole, and the whole truck swung around and ended up plowing his driveway and front yard :) Needless to say, the mailbox remained mostly intact, and the plow gave his house a wide birth from then on.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We have some concrete and brick mailboxes near where I live that probably would win against anything less than a plow. They are death traps for anyone who drifts into them.

Having your mailbox knocked over is annoying, but not worth building something that could kill. There is a balance between what is needed to meet the requirements of rural mail delivery and not creating liability.

12. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    My nearest neighbor owns a truck maintenance shop. His post is a crankshaft from a big diesel engine. Heavy!

Don "not one to hit with a bat at night" Bolton

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I've seen railroad rails, truck chassis springs, reinforced concrete blocks and just about everything else.

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    When I said rural delivery - I meant it - the mail delivery for my post office is contracted carriers with their own vehicles. Also - my driveway is 120+ feet long - delivery HAS to be out at the cul-de-sac.

Having said that - I'll probably do either the treated 4x4 or treated 6x6, or maybe one of those plastic all-in-ones - it really depends on what it looks like when I go shopping Saturday.

If it didn't involve so many address change notifications - I'd think pretty hard about the PO box - we just don't get that much snail mail anymore - every 2-3 days (sometimes once a week) should be plenty. The post Office is about 2-2.25 miles from our house.

Thanks for the ideas.

15. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    You can also buy a pre-fab plastic plate (specifically designed for mailboxes) which works great as well. I like wood plates but water always seems to find a way in there and you are having to replace it a few years down the road.

It also never hurts to stop your mail carrier and take a measurement. The 41 to 45 is a great guideline for a standard mail truck but some rural carriers use vehicles which sit higher or lower then the standard and appreciate the fact you take them into consideration.

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    than

17. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Thank you professor :bonk1:

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! :stickman:

19. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    actually, shouldn't I be the one doing that? I was thinking of it as you were being like one of those catholic nuns who broke yard sticks over kids hands for screwing up ;) :lol:

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    We're pretty much all brick here in Texas.