1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Majority of Women now Pro-Life

Discussion in 'The OT' started by toenail, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2003 #1 of 21
    toenail

toenail Hall Of Fame

Oct 15, 2002
  2. Jul 2, 2003 #2 of 21
    RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The pendulum swings back and forth around the 50-percent mark all the time. This issue deeply divides the country as both sides have considerable backing.

3. Jul 2, 2003 #3 of 21
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I think the majority of PEOPLE is pro-life, depending on your definition of the term. No one LIKES abortion. I’m sure there aren’t too many women out there who look at abortion as a way to allow them to be sexually careless. They aren’t looking at it as a form of birth control. The vast majority wants it to be a last resort, but an option nonetheless.

4. Jul 2, 2003 #4 of 21
    waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Liberal words: "pro-choice" or "anti-abortion"
    The "pro-choice" sounds nice and breezy as if you're in favor of a good thing. After all, choice brings to mind a dinner menu or what book to take out at the library(yes DBS potatoes, they still exist).
    The "anti-abortion" sounds only partly sinister as if someone is against something and modern Americans can't stand anyone being against anything even if it was against something impossible. Like "anti-flying-cow". But the abortion part makes it easier to digest. I'm surprised that they haven't used the much more easily marketed term "anti-choice" more.

Conservative words: "pro-abortion" or "pro-life"
    The "pro-abortion" sounds semi-okay until you realize it means in favor of killing something. The more correct "pro-death" is one of my favorites and starting to get places.
    The "pro-life" moniker really sounds the best of all because who could possibly not be in favor of life?

I prefer "pro-life" and "pro-death". And while liberals may call conservatives pro-death for being in favor of military actions generally while they are against them, history shows a lack of decisive action against history's miscreants can do nothing more positive than provide the History Channel with its core programming and most of the time, only causes more death. So, on the whole liberals are really more "pro-death" while conservatives are more "pro-life" but then there's the death penalty thing and...

*sigh*

5. Jul 3, 2003 #5 of 21
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I wonder how many women would be pro-life if they realized that "life begins at conception" means they shouldn't use any birth control but natural family planning.

6. Jul 3, 2003 #6 of 21
    Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    How is natural family planning any different than say, a barrier? You are still having sex for pleasure, not for procreation.

If you prevent conception, how are you ending a life?

7. Jul 4, 2003 #7 of 21
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Rick, after having 3 children I have had a vasectomy and my wife has had a hysterectomy. These procedures were done to protect the health of my wife. There is absolutely no way we will produce more babies. Does that mean we must now refrain from sex for the rest of our lives? Since all it could possibly produce is pleasure.

8. Jul 4, 2003 #8 of 21
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Bogy, A little over-impressed with yourself :D :sure: :grin: :p

(could not help myself, please don't beat me up)

9. Jul 4, 2003 #9 of 21
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I wish more women (or any) were involved in this thread. From what little I know about women's contraception. There are basically two types (And I'm sure I'm probably wrong about some of this). One that makes the chance of sperm meeting egg nearly impossible (sometimes fooling the body into thinking it is already pregnant?), and one that prevents the fertilized egg from implanting (which some would call chemical abortion)

By preventing the sperm and egg from meeting (effectively the chemical equivlant of a condom or diaphram) can in no way be considered abortion .

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Which came first, the sperm or the egg?

I would agree that if the egg and sperm never meet up, it can't be considered abortion, and indeed, this is the method my wife and I used before our surgeries. But how much difference is there between a sperm circling an egg, and an egg in which the sperm has burrowed, fertilizing it? The sperm and egg carry within each of them the potential for a new life, the fertilized egg carries a potential life, but at that one celled stage hardly represents what most of us would consider to be a human. So if you use a spermicide in conjunction with a diaphragm, and kill the potential life in the sperm, allowing the unfertilized egg to then be expelled by the body, is that loss of potential life "abortion"?

11. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't think many would call that an abortion, but depending on the particular religious denomination, the use of a spemicide could be considered "wrong".

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sometimes it matters how you ask the question. And the Washington Times is not afraid to let ist's particualr politiccal biases show.

13. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And with that in mind, remember who did the poll, and what group was not afraid to share the information, even if the results weren't what they would have liked.

14. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    With every poll we need to determine was it taken in with valid methodology. An unscrutable pollster can have lots of leading questions (that can sway someone who is not heavily opinioned on the subject, and statistically there are usually more people with no opinion on a subject than those who are heavily opinioned) and then the polster throws away the leading questions and just publish the final question. So any poll should be taken with a grain of salt until validated, hopefully the published polls are validated ...

And example from Defense Spending from the Cold War Days
    1st set of leading questions
    1) Are you afraid of accidental nuclear war?
    2) Do you believe our schools are falling apart from lack of funds?
    3) Do you believe in the advancement of peace offerings from the new Soviet Leader?
    Final Posted Question...
    Should we reduce defence spending?

2nd Set of leading questions...
    1) Are you afraid of Soviet Expansion around the world?
    2) Do you believe that the Soviets spending more per person on Defense is something to worry about.
    3) Does the idea that there are 5000 soviet missles pointed at the US make you worry?
    Final Posted Question...
    Should we increase defense spending?

There is a whole section of psychology to the wording of questions (Psychometrics), I knew the person (recently passed away :( ) who used to word the questions for Lotus Development Certification Exams in order to make them as unbiased as possible. It makes polls very questionable in general...

15. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    "Which came first, the sperm or the egg?"

there's a joke here somewhere, but i think i'll restrain myself....

16. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I think there probably had to be a Wine Cooler first, or else no sperm is getting anywhere near any egg :D

17. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It's ok, I forgive you. :D
    I can understand your skepticism, but I am basing my claims on a very satisfied wife. :lol:

18. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    I was simply turning the logic back on the argument. I am in no way in favor of those views.

19. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    OK, just wondered. :D

20. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    As a College Graduate with a degree in Economics I'm familiar with this phenomena. My very first class in MacroEconomics 101 even contained a memorable quote, "Every Graph you've ever seen in a news report, every poll you've ever heard results from, is total Bulls--t" Once the room stopped buzzing he elaborated. Every graph or poll is generated to forward an argument or position. Assumptions are made to "fill in the blanks" for data which is unavailable or too difficult to attain. These assumptions can have a major effect on the final results.

For example, the RIAA has been trying to argue that file sharing programs are only to blame for the drop in sales of their product. They point to a graph showing an 11% drop in unit sales since 1999 when the Napster era began. What they fail to include in their data is that the record industry as a whole has released LESS new releases over that period. In an amount GREATER than the 11%. Add in the fact that the economy tanked over that time, suppressing spending on discretionary purchases and that double digit price increases on the albums they DID release reduced demand (Economics 101 again, as prices rise, demand falls). Add in guys like me who used to buy 100 albums a year, but now buy 90% less as I am furious at the industry for targetting their consumers for litigation instead of finding a way to make their product more desirable. Add in Satellite Radio which now makes it possible to have endless variety as I drive (my main location to "consume" music). I used to buy CDs to make driving more bearable as the Clear Channel slop which has taken over FM made me slam CDs into the dash out of frustration.

Remember, there is a lot of data which goes unnoticed when compiling these "conclusions". If the NRA puts out a poll showing that guns are "safe", look at it with skepticism. Look at other polls released from organizations with hidden agendas as well. Don't believe EVERYTHING you read. Human behavior usually dictates that we trumpet information which supports our gut beliefs. We tend to ignore info which runs counter to this. I don't expect this to change ANY time soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.