1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Changes: Need Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scrybigtv, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1 of 31
    scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Hello, Folks:

I'm a longtime member who has been off the forum and hasn't posted in quite some time. I used to try to keep up with all things DirecTV, but my life has become so hectic that I'm simply unable to keep up with the technology, what's new, etc. I've recently added a new "Smart" TV and gotten rid of a couple of old standard def. TVs, so I need to make a few equipment changes. I need your advice/suggestions.

My current TV configuration is a 60-inch 1080 LCD with V-Chip, a 42-inch Plasma (720) and one old standard def. 19-inch TV.

My DTV equipment includes one (1) HR21-100 DVR and three (3) D12-100 SD receivers (one of which is no longer being used.

I would like to keep one of the D12 receivers for the SD TV, but I'm undecided whether I need to get just one additional HD DVR or possibly upgrade to a Whole Home DVR. My home is wired with dual wiring to each outlet, so I also need to know if I'll need a change in my wiring, and if so, will DTV provide what I need without charging an arm and a leg.

I have other questions, but if you guys can get me on the right track regarding my receivers/wiring, I'll address the other questions in a later post.

Thanks in advance; I'll appreciate whatever advice you have to offer.

2. Oct 2, 2013 #2 of 31
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I personally would get the Genie. There is no difference in monthly cost and there are promos where you might even be able to get it for no up front cost. The SWM system only takes one cable per location regardless of number of tuners so you are set there. I would keep the HD-DVR and forget the client. Install should be the standard 49.99 or maybe even free

3. Oct 2, 2013 #3 of 31
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well, first off Whole Home & SWiM wont work with the D12. Those are the ones you should select to be replace. I would suggest the Genie as the replacement with Minis for the other D12s. . Of course not in the same location, but after a shuffle around of your receivers.

4. Oct 2, 2013 #4 of 31
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There would be a $3 difference per month, since MRV is required for the Genie compared to normal HD DVRs.

5. Oct 2, 2013 #5 of 31
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    False. An HR2x is $10/mo. A Genie is $10/mo + $3/mo **REQUIRED** for MRV (even with only one box).

6. Oct 2, 2013 #6 of 31
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    D12's are SWM compatible. So they only need to be replaced if Whole Home functionality is wanted in those locations.

7. Oct 2, 2013 #7 of 31
    scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks for your suggestions, but I don't think I did a very good job with the way I phrased my questions.

I just want to keep one of my D12s to use with my small SDTV. The other two need to be sent back. But my questions are mainly regarding my two HDTVs. Would I be better off (not just talking about price) simply adding a second HD DVR to accommodate my second HDTV? Or should I consider getting rid of my HR 21-100 and replacing it with a Genie, which would operate both HDTVs?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the latter option would not only provide me with more tuners, so that I could have the capacity to record more shows at any given time? Plus, provide me with a larger hard drive to store more hours of programming? Also, what, if any, is the downside of having a Genie, opposed to two HD DVR?

One other question: As a longtime customer (been with DTV seven years, out of commitment for five), should I not expect to upgrade to Whole Home basically for no charge?

8. Oct 2, 2013 #8 of 31
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The Genie has a larger internal drive, supports 100 series links. The second TV would either need to be RVU compatible, or have a client or receiver on it. If going the client or RVU route, if the Genie has to be replaced, then that TV is out of commission until the replacement is in.

Also, at that point all the recordings are on one box, so you lose those as opposed to only things on one normal DVR.

1 person likes this.
  9. Oct 2, 2013 #9 of 31
    longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You can have a Genie and a HD-DVR and as you already have the HD-DVR that is the way to as far as I am concerned. The $3 extra for a Genie is ONLY in the case of a single receiver install as you pay for Whole Home with a Genie even if there are no other receivers. However in your case the monthly bill will go down $3 as you are going from 4 receivers (HR21 and 3 D12s) to 3 receivers (HR21, Genie, and D12) which eliminates a $6 charge

1 person likes this.
  10. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks, longrider. Your suggestion certainly makes sense, especially when you consider that having a Genie AND a HD DVR means you always have a backup DVR in case one goes on the blink. I'm not sure I fully understand some of the terminology you and some other posters are using (I thought Genie and Whole Home DVR were the same thing, LOL. Maybe you wouldn't mind expanding?), but your suggestion does sound workable for me.

Also, will my two-wire system be compatible with the Genie, or will I be required to change to SWM or need add-ons like dpeters mentioned in one of his posts?

11. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Genie is just the name for the Whole Home DVR. They are one and the same. Using a Genie requires the SWM distribution system but it will be very easy. As you will only have 8 tuners (5+2+1) You will get a SWM LNB (the head on the end of the arm facing the dish) and one wire will come off of it. It will then be split with one wire going to each location. The second wire to your present DVR will be not needed. All the additional hardware needed will be included in the install.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Most of the time when we say Whole Home DVR, we're referring to the service, which does not require a Genie. Some use the term MRV for Multi Room Viewing, which is what we called it before it existed on DirecTV.

The other nice thing about SWM is that you won't need the two BBCs you have on the HR21, though if you get any HD box under the Hx24 level, you'd need an external DECA, which of course would be provided. Much cleaner setup at the box for a Hx24 or Genie.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If I were in your place, I would consider keeping the HR21, and adding a Genie. How you deal with your third TV location (the SD TV) has options. You can use the D12 (which is SWM compatible), but the D12 will not share in whole home, i.e., it won't be able to view recordings from either the Genie or the HR21. If you get a client to go with your Genie and use that at the SD TV location you will be able to view recordings as well as pause, fast forward, rewing, live TV. However, the Client will require an adapter cable to work with the SD TV (which the installer should be able to provide). That way you will also be configured if you ever decide to upgrade that TV to HD. One other possible option would be to replace the D12 with an H2x HD receiver. Again, that will share in whole home and give you HD capability if you ever upgrade, but is not dependent on the Genie being available in order to work (where the client is).

14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    IMO, referring to the Genie as a Whole Home DVR was a mistake on DirecTV's part because it just made things confusing. For the past few years, well before the Genie became available, DirecTV has been offering a Whole Home DVR service. For $3 per month, you could watch the content from any DVR in the house on any other receiver in the house. They charged somewhere around $150 to set this service up. As part of the setup, a new dish was installed at many homes, and older non-compatible receivers were replaced. SWM is required for "supported" Whole Home DVR service. There is an unsupported version of the service. But, unless you were part of the Beta testing team, you need to jump through hoops to get it. SWM is also required for the Genie (no unsupported version available).

Around here, when people refer to Whole Home DVR (or WHDVR or MRV or Multi Room Viewing), they are typically referring to the service.

If you were to get a Genie, Whole Home service becomes standard. Any equipment changes that are needed would be done during your installation. People are suggesting that you keep your DVR, not only because it provides a backup in case the Genie dies, but because it will add 2 additional tuners to your Whole Home DVR service.

15. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks, guys, for all your help and suggestions. I was away from my computer for about a week, so only today was I able to get back on the forum and review your most recent posts. Sounds like adding one Genie to the HR21 DVR that I already have would be a good fit for me. However, if I understand what was stated in some of the above posts, an upgrade to a Genie will require the installation of SWM and possibly a new dish. And I may have to pay up to $150 (or more) for that installation?

I also seem to understand that I could also get Multi Room Viewing (Whole Home) capability simply by adding a second HRXX DVR (I'm not interested in having Whole Home capability with the D12). And if that's the case, am I correct to assume that I could keep my current two-wire system? I realize that I would have only four tuners available with that configuration (is that correct?). But I'm pretty sure that would be sufficient for our needs, as our kids are grown and it's just my wife and me at home. And it's appealing to me to not have to have a lot of new wiring done, especially if it involves wall fishing, AND POSSIBLY a bunch of extra money.

So, tell me, am I on the right track, or is my lack of understanding of modern technology exposing me as a total ignoramus?

16. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    There is a non-supported way to utilize your existing system for whole home service. But the DirecTV approved way (and the only way that they will set it up for you is via SWM technology.

People who aren't currently within a 2 year commitment have gotten pretty good deals from DirecTV when upgrading to a Genie. I would suggest calling them, saying "cancel" at the prompt (which should bring you to a person who has the authorization to give you a deal) and tell them that you're exploring your TV options and have been told that your interested in a Genie and understand that DirecTV has been making some pretty good offers to people who want to upgrde to a Genie. Then see what offers they make you. Initially, they will just assume that you want to replace all of your equipment with a Genie and clients. As soon as they make that comment, make sure to tell them that you want to keep your HR21.

This is really the only way that you will find out what an upgrade will actually cost you.

17. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Forgive me for bumping this thread, but I have a couple more questions before I actually start the upgrade process with DTV. I've read on some other threads that existing customers who have the Protection Plan can expect to upgrade to a Genie (Whole Home) for free. Is that correct, or have I mis-read? Also, what is the monthly charge for the protection plan and is it worth the price?

My other question concerns SWM. After re-reading this thread (at least twice), I'm beginning to understand that changing my two-wire setup to SWM would actually not be that big of a deal – possibly involves just changing the LNB at the dish and unhooking one of the wires from each receiver?

The one thing I HAVE decided (thanks to the great input I've received here) is to keep my HR21 DVR. That will give me a total of seven tuners when the Genie is activated.

18. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You must have the protection plan for 2 years in order to qualify for an upgrade using the plan. However, many folks have gotten free upgrades much sooner and without the plan! The regular protection plan is $7.99 a month

19. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks, peds. Well, so much for the free upgrade via the protection plan. In any case, I still plan to upgrade and I'm gonna do my best to get it for free. I pay more than $130.00 for my monthly service – been doing so for a long time. So I feel like D* should be willing to put a Genie in my home in order to keep me happy. I'm probably wrong (LOL).

But before I start the process, I'd still like to know if the upgrade can be done without having to completely replace my old wiring.

20. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I think he means $7.99 a month. I don't actually have the protection plan so I can't say for certain.

EDIT: Yep, this is from Directv earlier this year. And it does confirm the free equipment upgrade every two years.

-----------------------------------------------------
    DTV Protection Plan price increase
    We heard your feedback and have added several great new improvements to the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN as a result, including an equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge. (Offer requires a renewed 24-month agreement.)* Effective May 16, 2013, the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN will increase by $2 per month to $7.99.

We're sure you'll agree that it's a small price to pay for these great new benefits:*

• NEW BENEFIT: Equipment upgrade every two years at no additional cost beyond the monthly charge.
    • NEW BENEFIT: Unintentional and Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) of the DIRECTV System.
    And of course, you'll continue to get:*

• On-site repairs and the savings associated with replacing defective equipment.
    • Protection for every DIRECTV Receiver, remote, connection/switch, satellite antenna and wiring, plus dish antenna realignment.
    • 24-hour technical support, 7 days a week.