1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man shoots self in ass

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Dave, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    The dumb man of the week award goes to the man in Aurauro, Col. for shooting himself in the butt while watching I believe the Jason Bourne. Although it was legal for him to be carrying the gun. Discharging it in his but in public may get him charged and we all know he does get the stupid award. Man and gun are doing fine.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you are talking about this guy:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-movie-theater-shooting-self-in-buttocks?lite

It happened in Nevada... not Colorado.

But... it does raise the issue I have raised in other gun threads... that being... we have lots of incompetent people legally permitted to carry guns who clearly are not qualified to do so.

The criminals are one thing... but this guy, dropping his gun in a theater, could just as well have accidentally shot anyone else nearby instead of fortunately only shooting himself.

IF you got shot... would you care if it was a crazy gunman or a legally permitted citizen who accidentally did it? Would you care if they shot and killed a loved one by accident due to carelessness?

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yes this guy was incompetent and what he did did was stupid. But it's a isolated incident. It doesn't happen on a daily basis but people always react to these situations as if we are all in immminent danger. There are tenfold the amount of incompetent people who are licensed to operate a motor vehicle who cause property damage, injury, or death on a daily basis. Yet no one bats a eye.

4. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I hate to tell you this but guns don't just go off when dropped. There is more to this story. Something had to catch on the trigger for it to have discharged. Again, there is more to this story than mentioned.

5. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I know that. What I said in my post was that the guy was incompetent and stupid.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    If you are going to make the car-gun argument, MysteryMan, then extend it to its logical conclusion. We require a license to drive a car. There is driver's ed in high school. You cannot, unlicensed, legally buy a car, put in the keys, and drive away.

Yet as long as you have an ID to prove that you are who you say you are, and you can pass a criminal background check, you can buy a gun.

I am not forgiving the idiot who texts while driving. I also won't dismiss the fool who carrys a gun into a crowded theater and shoots himself in the ass.

At least as a society, we try to make our drivers know how to drive a car.

Everyone who isn't a criminal should be free to buy has many handguns, rifles and shotguns as they want to buy. But they also should know their proper care and use.

In that way, we require more of our drivers than our gun owners.

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There is a big difference between purchasing a gun and carrying a gun. My neighbor has a classic car collection. He purchases them but does not drive them. They are shipped to his garage. The same applies to firearms. Many people purchase them but do not carry them. ;)

8. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Wow!
    I agree with Mystery Man 100%. ;)

9. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I hate to tell you, but you don't know much about firearms. :rolleyes:

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Shows I don't know much either. I always thought a trigger had to be pulled somehow for a gun to fire. But then I've never actually fired one, that's just what I've seen in movies and playing Call of Duty :)

The Mythbusters certainly had a problem getting a gun to fire falling down a set of stairs.

11. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Everything is an isolated incident... I mean, more people don't murder and rape and rob people every day than people who do... so all of those things are isolated incidents, and yet we have laws to deal with those things.

Even car wrecks are isolated incidents compared to the number of people on the road every day... so why do we have traffic laws at all?

You've missed the point entirely.

In this particular incident, we have a guy who clearly was not qualified to possess the gun he had in the manner in which he possessed it. Perhaps if that guy had been required to take some kind of training and certification program he might not have been so careless with his gun.

I'm pretty sure that when our founding fathers put the "right to bear arms" in the Constitution that they intended and assumed that people would know how to use those guns and have the proper respect for them.

That was my thought as well. Was there a safety on the gun? Was it functional and engaged? Depending on the kind of gun, was a bullet already in the chamber? There's lots of questions to ask... including why was it so ineffectually contained that it could fall out like that so easily.

I'm not sorry here... this guy should be charged and prosecuted the same as if he had shot someone else and get the same punishment (hopefully with time in jail)... otherwise he'll keep doing this and next time he drops his gun it will hurt or kill someone other than himself.

12. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    I do know what type of classes are required in Nevada to carry a concealed weapon but, I am sure they dont just let people carry in public without a certification. Just because you have a drivers license dose not mran u wont have a wreck. Just because you have a concealed carry premit does not mean you cant shoot yourself in the ass.

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    True... but does that mean you would get rid of the driver's licensing system then? I mean, the logic seems to indicate you think it isn't of value.

Also... you know that people get robbed and murdered even though there are laws against it... so why should we have those laws if they don't completely prevent all crime?

I'm being somewhat sarcastic... Obviously no laws and regulations would be 100% protection against idiots with guns... but it would prevent some of the idiots... maybe even this specific idiot would have failed the training.

14. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    There is probably more to the story than was mentioned. Really the gun would have to be inspected and tested to see if it would/could go off when dropped. It shouldn't go off when dropped, but that doesn't mean that it absolutely wouldn't.

15. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I agree with you that guns need to be more tightly and uniformly regulated. And by guns I mean possession and carrying guns, as well as what types of guns are available. The argument by those against gun regulations is always that it will affect law-abiding people, but outlaws will continue with their outlaw ways. The same argument could be made with regard to murder, robbery, or any crime, yet no one suggests that these laws be repealed.

In this case it may be not possible to prosecute this guy. If he was licensed to own and possess and carry the weapon, there may be no crime. He may not be criminally liable for an accidental discharge.

16. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    How come we never hear about outlaws with guns shooting themselves in the ass? Maybe we should be enlisting our outlaws with guns to provide training to the general population that is now concealing and carrying.

17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Probably depends on Nevada law... Plaxico Burress (ex-Giants football player) shot himself while dropping his gun in a night club and went to jail... but he wasn't permitted to carry a concealed weapon in NY so there was more to charge him with than just the accidental self-shooting.

Some outlaws aren't good with their weapons, but I'm up too late and am feeling too lazy to look :)

No need to ask criminals to teach people... How about letting gun experts teach people. In this economy, there should be a chance to grow a new business of training and certifying people to use guns and obtain licenses. It should be a "booming" business, to use a pun.

18. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No Stewart, you've missed the point. I purchased my first handgun back in the seventies in my then home state of Connecticut. Before I could make the purchase and take posession a extensive background check was performed. That took three days. Shortly afterwards I applied for a local permit to carry. Another extensive background check was performed and I was fingerprinted. The permit to carry application required a valid reason for the need to carry. I also had to pass a written test, demonstrate I could safely handle the firearm and score a percentage of hits in the bullseye on the firing range. All that just to obtain a local permit to carry. Since then I went on and obtained a FFL. Need I tell you of the hoops one has to jump through to get one of those? :sure: The safety measures are and have been in place for the purchase of and permit to carry a firearm. As I posted elsewhere there are over 22,000 gun control laws in this country. The odds of you being involved in or witnessing a shooting incident pale in comparison to your odds of either witnessing or being involved in a motor vehicle incident. Why people like you focus your attention on the former instead of the later baffles me.

19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yesterday CNN reported six Saginaw, Michigan police officers aided with a police dog shot a mentally ill man brandishing a knife in a parking lot "46" times, killing him. Granted this guy was no alterboy and had a long history of confrontations with law enforcement but "46" shots fired to take down one man? Any recruit in basic training will tell you a three round burst is more than sufficient in taking down and killing a human. Anything more is a total waste of ammunation. And you anti gun fanitics are worried about the guy who got shot in the ass because his gun fell out of his pocket? :rolleyes: