Management Moves At AT&T

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Sep 3, 2019 #1 of 10
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    From a Story Here

AT&T Names John Stankey President & Chief Operating Officer and Jeff McElfresh CEO of AT&T Communications

"AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) announced that John Stankey has been appointed president and chief operating officer of AT&T Inc., effective Oct. 1, a new position reporting to Randall Stephenson, AT&T chairman and CEO. Stankey will also continue serving as CEO of WarnerMedia.

The company named AT&T executive Jeff McElfresh CEO of AT&T Communications LLC effective
    Oct. 1, replacing John Donovan, who earlier announced his retirement. McElfresh will lead AT&T’s largest business unit, AT&T Communications, a global telecom leader serving 100 million mobile, broadband and pay-TV customers in the United States, and millions of business customers, including nearly all of the Fortune 1000."

APB101 likes this.
  2. Sep 3, 2019 #2 of 10
    DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    The new CEO of DTV has an opportunity to steady the ship. I have been calling for new management with new ideas for many months as we all have seen what the prior team has fashioned. I do not accept the inevitability of massive declines in customer counts as all of us on this board realize that many customers have been driven away not by price but lack of quality service and boneheaded decisions that generated little revenue or reduced minor costs.

Maybe we will see the impact first at ATT TV. When they roll out the results of the test markets on their call at the end of October we may have some changes announced at that time.

APB101 likes this.
  3. Sep 4, 2019 #3 of 10
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sky's still falling, I guess. Glad to see them doing something.

Rich

4. Sep 4, 2019 #4 of 10
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Yup - can't hurt - mostly only one direction this new guy can go with CS.

Rich likes this.
  5. Sep 4, 2019 #5 of 10
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Maybe this guy can get some strategic vision and consistency in the video offerings. Right now, it is a mess and they have no idea what they are doing. Cordcutters had an article the other day about how confusing the current IP offerings are, with AT&T's own marketing and promotion team conflating and confusing the various services (ie stating that DirecTV Now is now named AT&T TV, which isn't true).

AT&T Is Confusing AT&T TV with AT&T TV NOW, Creating Mass Confusion - Cord Cutters News

6. Sep 4, 2019 #6 of 10
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I got a kick out of that article. Oh well, it can't get any worse...or could it? I thought ATT buying D* might be a good thing when it happened. That didn't turn out well.

Rich

7. Sep 4, 2019 #7 of 10
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Once again i think this is another horrible bait click article. I dont think they are confusing anything ATT TV Now will cease to exist once ATT TV rolls out fully

8. Sep 4, 2019 #8 of 10
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If they were planning on dropping it in a few months when AT&T TV is launched nationally why bother so recently renaming it from Directv Now to AT&T TV Now? The fact they did that makes me believe they intend that product stick around for the long haul.

The "Now" product will be the one where you bring you own set top and have no commitment, and a lower level of service. I wouldn't be surprised if the cloud DVR option goes away from 'Now' at some point to better position AT&T TV as the premium product (for new customers, they'd probably have to let existing customers keep it or they'd lose a lot of them) They may have only added could DVR to Directv Now to help test the functionality and get it ready for AT&T TV.

Allowing live viewing only would allow them to charge less for AT&T TV Now, because they'd know none of those customers can skip ads - meaning AT&T should be able to negotiate a lower rate for the same channels on AT&T TV Now versus AT&T TV and Directv.

9. Sep 4, 2019 #9 of 10
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    You have a link for that? First I’ve heard of it.

It’s not click bait. They literally admitted the naming was wrong and corrected it.

It’s a very, very confused company.

Rich likes this.
  10. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I think it's quite possible that AT&T TV Now goes away in late 2020, after HBO Max offers the option of adding the same set of channel packages, with the same features and prices. Until then, though, I think the company sees AT&T TV Now as just being a sub-brand of AT&T TV. Hence the decision of have them both use the same AT&T TV-branded app.