Manchester by the Sea at Amazon

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by phrelin, May 8, 2017.

1. May 8, 2017 #1 of 24
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

Manchester by the Sea
    deserves all the accolades it received as does Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams. The one scene with the two of them feels like nothing I've seen before - tears your heart out and punches you in the gut at the same time.

2. May 8, 2017 #2 of 24
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gotta watch that.

Rich

3. May 8, 2017 #3 of 24
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Saw the trailer streaming on the box. Didn't know the feature was prime-streamable.

Thanks.

P.S. This streaming is really the ----!! (Am I actually almost ignoring my sat scrip and DVR entirely?? Yeah, seems likely to be happening.)

4. May 8, 2017 #4 of 24
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You know that many of those shows can also be downloaded to a mobile device.

5. May 9, 2017 #5 of 24
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks.

Although I haven't quite taken the time to learn how to do that, yet, I've streamed an episode or two to the tablet.

Also (while I'm not on the go all that much) after I saw some of the other titles available I decided to buy the box, give it a direct-connect and watch the rest of my eps in glorious 1080p. (It can be downright stunning.)

I really wasn't prepared to expect the near-BD quality, and with such instantaneous access to boot.

I'm looking forward to many of the features available (in addition to Manchester, of course).

6. May 9, 2017 #6 of 24
    the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I look forward to seeing that one.

7. May 9, 2017 #7 of 24
    camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I didn't find very good. Maybe its just not my type of movie, I gave it a 2 star rating.

8. May 9, 2017 #8 of 24
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I didn't like it either, but my wife and daughter loved it.

camo likes this.
  9. May 9, 2017 #9 of 24
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Surprised me too. Never thought streaming would kill my DVR setup.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ahh, I wasn't gonna say this, but you opened the door. We recently watched La La Land. I like musicals and was looking forward to an enjoyable evening. After a half hour I kept thinking it must be better, it has to get better, it was nominated for an Academy Award. After an hour it didn't get any better. Finally ended, the last ten minutes weren't bad but that's the best I can say about it. Then I looked at the Academy Awards. Emma Stone got Best Actress! How...why?

I think casting is very important. I thought Ryan Gosling did well but not Stone. Bad year for movies, I guess. Hell or High Water was nominated for best picture, so was Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge and La La Land. Only saw those movies and I think 3 of the 4 I just listed...sucked (well, Arrival wasn't that bad)! I would have voted for Hacksaw Ridge, I didn't sit thru that thinking, "When will this be over?" Just me, just my opinion.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not looking forward to it.

Rich

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I saw all of the nominees. I didn't expect to like La La Land, but really enjoyed it. That however may be because I'm a general fan of jazz. I think the one I cared for the least was Moonlight, followed by Manchester by the Sea.

I know I also liked Lion more than I was expecting.

13. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yeah, probably what surprised me the most was how quickly material can be accessed. Mostly by that I mean the playback is nearly instantaneous.

Those DVRs take several seconds just to get ready to stream to one another, and they've got a leg-up on their own connections speed between them, vs our local internet connection to the streaming box.

It all just seems to run so much more efficiently. Of course, I'm sure there's more processing power and overall modernized operation of the streamer (not to mention no moving internal parts).

14. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I did watch a good 7 part series and surprised myself because its not my kind of show called Big Little Lies on HBO. Acting was incredible.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I guess I was expecting something better than Burlesque. I really like that movie, watch it once a year. Didn't get nominated for any Academy Awards.

I like jazz, have spent many hours in jazz clubs. The music in La La Land did nothing for me.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, comparing a D* DVR to a streaming box...the DVR loses. In so many ways. And the picture's better, I think.

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ohh, now I gotta watch that! HBO has so many great shows and HBO Now is a good streaming choice.

Rich

camo likes this.
  18. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Soundtrack was also very well done. Especially additive theme song.

Rich likes this.
  19. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Ok, now I've watched Manchester.

Although I didn't really dislike it, I didn't really like it either.

I'm not sure what all the favorable raving was about. I also noticed before playing it was showing 2 & a-half out of 5 stars for whatever rating system is used there.

And as much as I appreciate locked-down cameras (I really do), some of the shots just went on waayy too looonng (dramatic pause?)

With a lot of trimming and a little more humor (was there any, really?) this could've been a good film.

The funniest part of the whole film was the Stan and Ollie bit trying to load the gurney into the ambulance. For me the whole movie experience was kind of excruciating like that, but not in a funny way.

Maybe some folks find the "deadpan-schtick" Affleck character funny all by himself. Not me.

It just takes way too long to tell the "story." Not nearly as bad as those Bill Murray films that are like watching paint dry (like part one of season six of the Sopranos). Much more compelling than those or I wouldn't have stuck with it.

I kind of feel that for my two-and-a-quarter hours I should be entitled to a gag reel, at the very least. (You know like silly outtakes during the credits, or something.)

To be fair, I wasn't much expecting humor but didn't realize until too late how badly this film could've used some.

Now, on to La La Land... (We paid for it, so I'm gonna watch it.)

20. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    ^^
    (I know, I really do get it. He's supposed to be dead inside. It just takes way too long to find out why.)