Manhattan

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dpeters11, Jul 29, 2014.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Did anyone else watch this? I don't completely pass judgement on a series after the first episode, but the pilot was pretty good and enough for me to keep watching. I do tend to like things from this time period for some reason, and the secret towns like Oak Ridge have always interested me.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Change my package so I could watch it. I love the historical and scientific aspect of the era. Change my package to watch it and did enjoy the pilot.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    It was good. Probably the first time I've tuned to WGN in years.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Never heard of it, just looked it up and now I'm intrigued. I don't watch WGN because Comcast doesn't carry it in HD around here, but they carry WGN on ondemand in HD, so I will check it out.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    WGN America Renews "Manhattan" for Second Season

[​IMG]
    READ MORE

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    At its current pace, this show could last longer then the actual event!

1 person likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I've been watching it since they premiered. It's a good time piece. I still have three episodes in the can to watch. Glad it's been given a second season.

8. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I never watched WGN until now. The show is really well done.

9. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Same here.

10. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    That's one reason I prefer to save it out to high-speed DVDs and watch it that way (despite the loss of PQ).

11. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    The show could had been on HBO if there was swearing and naked bodies, but I'm really glad that it wasn't because its more real when they omit the sex and the F Words.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Very good season finale tonight!

13. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Explain a lot. Looking forward to next season.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, it did. I didn't look things up during the season on purpose but I knew Thin Man wasn't used in reality, I just wasn't sure why. But I knew something was up (and assumed they weren't going to steer that far away from history).

15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Looks like the entire season will be "binge-retransmitted" on Sunday starting 11:00am EDT.

16. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    No idea why, but the 2nd to last episode says it was canceled. Glad to see it's being repeated Sunday.

17. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Like many others, I'd never watched WGN before this series. I started watching Manhattan with episode 1 and have loved every episode. It's one of the few shows that I watched in near-real time, usually about 10:30 on Sunday night - that's how good it is! I'm so happy it was renewed, too. It's so odd to look forward to a show so much when you know the outcome, but they've done a great job of creating a tense world of espionage, science, and good old fashioned sex and family drama. Love it!

18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    ++1

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    What is disappointing news is that "Manhattan" was not picked up for a third season as explained in this Deadline Hollywood article. While the season 2 finale is an effective end to the series, it would have been interesting to see how the characters would have handled the future.

I know the show takes liberties with real events, but the fact is that Manhattan Project was the object of pretty successful Soviet espionage. George Koval was posthumously awarded the Hero of the Russian Federation decoration for "his courage and heroism while carrying out special missions" by Russian President Vladimir Putin. When Koval was honored, the Russian presidential proclamation stated, "Mr Koval, who operated under the pseudonym Delmar, provided information that helped speed up considerably the time it took for the Soviet Union to develop an atomic bomb of its own". There was also Klaus Fuch who was a German Communist who became a Soviet Spy.

The Alsos Mission, the American spy effort against the German nuclear program, commanded by Colonel Boris Pash, a former Manhattan Project security officer, would make a good movie. (Pash wrote a book about it, but it is not available as an ebook, only as a used book.) It resulted at the end of the War locating and removing a substantial portion of the German research effort's surviving records and equipment. They also took most of the senior German research personnel into custody, including Otto Hahn, Max von Laue, Werner Heisenberg and Carl Friedrich von Weizs├Ącker. Of course, what they discovered was the German nuclear and biological weapons programs that it had been formed to investigate turned out to be smaller and less threatening than had been feared. Samuel Goudsmit, a key member of the Alsos Mission wrote: "Sometimes we wondered if our government had not spent more money on our intelligence mission than the Germans had spent on their whole project."