"Manifest" on NBC and Hulu - what's wrong with critics?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Sep 27, 2018.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    When I first read the info on the upcoming series "Manifest", I thought it sounded interesting.

Then the critics weighed in describing everything they didn't like with many saying it was just a variation on "Lost".

I was puzzled since the original description from NBC did not seem to indicate a "Lost" plot - unless all "airplane time anomaly stories" are to be considered a variation on "Lost." I decided to watch the first episode.

It has a large, talented ensemble cast. It is about people who were on an airliner when "an incident" occurred (not a crash, not anything resembling a crash). The first episode was very well done, with an intriguing plot, offering a lot of potential.

I guess I just have to accept the fact that TV critics just don't see the world anything like I do. Therefore I have to ignore them.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Agree. I thought it was good.

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have to agree with you phrelin. I really like the first episode and looking forward to next week.As for the critics they had me at Lost.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Well I can see a bit of a link... it’s about something happening to an airliner and it’s sci-fi.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Think I’ll actually watch it again. I’ve already killed fbi off my DVR but I might just watch new Amsterdam... kind of tired of medical dramas but it might be good enough to keep me around..

But if I had to choose manifest is at the top right now of my list for new series... let’s see where we are in three more weeks though. I know fbi retooled after their pilot... hope manifest didn’t.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I had higher hopes for Manifest. But after watching it, I was alittle disappointed. Lost comparison is a bit of a stretch, it reminded me of The Crossing V2. And The Crossing is gone as we all know.

SPOILER ALERT

The plane turbulence could have been so much better. That was lame. It is a key part, isn't it?

The "set them free" part was cool but the ending of the plane in the fenced area, was so predictable. I saw it coming a few mins earlier.

I will give it another shot or two