March Madness Transmission Gremlins?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dminches, Mar 21, 2019.

1. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I am watching basketball on TNT on my C61k and there are video glitches every 40-60 seconds. They are short and quick but they are noticeable. The audio isn’t affected.

Are others seeing this? Is this most likely a “my equipment” issue, or a broadcast issue?

2. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    The glitches don’t seem to be occurring on my HR-24 which would point to my Genie/c61K combo.

3. perrycur2680

perrycur2680 New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I noticed it as well on my HR54/C61K setup. It's the same kind of issue I frequently experience on ESPN. In my experience it seems to be related to the "enhanced features" they have...in this case they have added the "March Madness" feature that pops up the box on the channels airing the games (with the exception of CBS I believe). The same "fix" works on these channels as on ESPN when it does it: press pause briefly and watch from the DVR buffer. It's annoying if you switch between games since you lose the buffer, but you can use DoublePlay to maintain dual buffers between two games at least.

dminches likes this.
  4. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I guess there is some comfort in knowing it isn't just my setup. I have been using the pause/doubleplay approach. It is annoying that this happens.

As I mentioned in my second post I don't see this on my HR24.

I am curious if this will be the case today with the 4k games.

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    There were hiccups on the Turner channels on my HR44, but the CBS games were fine.

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Periodic glitches watching the Oregon/Wisconsin game on TBS as well.

7. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I am experiencing the same things on my c61K working off of a HR 54.
    It is very similar to the freezing/pixelation that I experience all the time these past couple years.
    I just now noticed while watching the four box (702) that all four pictures froze and glitched at the same time so that tells me it’s not the transmission from the games but something to do with either the satellite or the C 61K .

8. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    It is a shame since the sports programming on DirecTV is unequaled but the hardware totally sucks.

Maybe the future streaming version will be better.

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    With AT&T at the helm I wouldn't count on it.

10. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Yup. I noticed it during the Ohio State game on Fri night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    This game right now on CBS, Iowa vs Tennessee, is literally unwatchable with all the glitches.
    WCBS.
    Was watching last night via cable, not a single issue.

12. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Was at a friends house - he has Spectrum cable. He had the same glitches etc. that are described here. So I don't think this is a DTV/ATT issue but something with the network broadcasts.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I was watching it on Mediacom and while there were a few glitches it was far from "unwatchable". The only thing unwatchable about it was coming back from a million down only to lose in OT! :(

14. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    After watching the first few minutes of the Washington/North Carolina game on CBS, I have not seen any glitches. So, if it isn’t DirecTV, it may be issues with the broadcast equipment at the game sight. That seems to be an important variable.

15. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I am convinced that in addition to potential broadcast issues, the hardware creates its own set. By pausing the C61K or HR-54 for a second so you aren’t watching live eliminates most of the video glitches. This seems to be true for just about all live sports. Unless I do this I see issues on MSG hockey, the Tennis channel, ESPN, etc.

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I agree. There are times when just a brief rewind will fix everything. There are times that it fixes 2/3 of the issues. There are times it does nothing, however...

17. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    This Duke game is virtually unwatchable again on WCBS.
    Freezing after freezing after freezing. One of them lasted 8 to 10 seconds.
    Switched over to the AM21, no problems.