1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mario Kart Wii Help

Discussion in 'Gaming Fun - The Other Reality' started by nn8l, Aug 27, 2009.

1. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    My grandson just got a Wii and I shipped him Mario Kart. When we play online in the friends mode he continually gets disconnected. He can go play online in regional or worldwide and doesn't have any problems. They updated their Wii and have the latest firmware.

They are using Verizon FIOS for Internet and have the WIFI modem from them, but I'm not sure of a model number if that may make a difference. Any help with settings, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Based on what you're saying, he can play online, but in friend mode, you all are getting disconnect. Are you able to play online?

3. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Is he getting disconnected or are you? Who's creating the room and who's getting which error?

4. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    He is getting disconnected. I'm staying in the room. We've both tried creating the room adn the same thing happens. Should he be getting an error #?

Yes. We both went into 'Worldwide' last night and we were both able to play several games without getting a disconnect.

5. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    That's strange. How many times would you say it has happened? Could it be just a coincidence?

6. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    This sounds like a problem I have when trying to play PS3 with Milkman. He can play online with other people and so can I, but for some reason we cannot connect to each other. Weird.

7. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Well, he just got the game yesterday, but were were disconnected probably 5 or 6 times and both went and played online in worldwide in between with no problems. Sometimes its right after the race starts and others we've finished maybe two laps. We never finished a race.

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Does he have any other Wii friends and does it happen with them as well?

9. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Neither of us have any other friends. Boy, that sounds bad. :( I do have a friend with a Wii, but I'm not sure they have Mario Kart. I've got a call in to see if we can try connecting to them and what happens.

10. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    You may also want to try setting up a new racer profile for one or both of you (you can have up to 4 per Wii) and exchanging friend codes again to see if maybe that helps.

11. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    We tried that. My wife has a profile and so does my son on-law. This one is really perplexing me.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.

12. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Last thing I can think of is maybe try a Wii LAN adapter on his end to get a wired connection instead of wifi...

Have you tried Nintendo support?

13. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007

I've thought about the LAN adapter. I use one. My biggest question about that is why he can connect to the other rooms. I recommended the adapter last night, but that's a bit tricky for a permanent fix as they don't have a basement and wiring isn't a simple job. It would be worth a try though.

We haven't tried Nintendo support. I normally feel I can get better support off of boards such as this one. They may need to contact Verizon to see if there might be something in a firewall setting also. I don't know if the friend rooms route through the Nintendo servers or if once set up its a peer to peer type connection. I've looked in the past but haven't been able to find an address to ping or trace route to the Nintendo server.

14. mikep554

mikep554 Legend

Feb 14, 2007
    The Wii uses UDP for peer-to-peer games, but TCP for connecting to service like worldwide (I just had to look this up to punch my Wii out through my Astaro firewall). If you aren't a networking geek, TCP is a very orderly protocol where connections are set up and then torn down, but UDP is basically just data being spewed out without the setup/teardown of TCP (multiplayer gaming usually uses UDP, so no fault of the Wii here).

Consumer-grade firewall/routers can sometime have trouble dealing with UDP properly. It may be that one of your firewalls is killing the connection. But when you play worldwide, you are making TCP connections which both of your firewalls are able to deal with correctly.

You may have the option of telling your firewall device to treat your Wii as a "DMZ" host, where it will be able to send and receive any traffic from the internet without any blocking by the firewall. Or you could try plugging your Wii directly into your internet connection without the firewall/router in the way (I wouldn't do this permanently, just as a test). This second option would be assuming you don't have an all-in-one modem/firewall device from your ISP.

15. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Thanks. I'll check the DMZ out on both ends. I think I had mine set for the PS3 if I remember correctly.

16. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Anybody here that has successfully operated in friend mode that would like to try with me please send me your drivers license #. Mine is 0001-6475-2045

Thanks.

17. neomaine

neomaine Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    nn8l,

You're welcome to join our weekly Friday night (9:30PM EST) races for additional tests. Usually Smiddy or myself host the races. Check the other MarioKart threads for full FC lists. Here's our's:

neomaine 0474-0181-9021
    Smiddy 3180-0613-9973

If you'd like, I'll set you up as a friend and we can try a 1 to 1 connection. How about 9:15? Then if it works, you can join up with the rest of the crew!

(I'd never heard the TCP/UDP explanation before. Interesting they'd use the non-error correcting UDP at all for peer to peer versus TCP. That's usually left for things like ping, time checks or other things you're not worried about misses a few bytes every now and then.)

18. nn8l

nn8l Legend

Sep 7, 2007
    Thanks. I'll add you and try it at 9:15 and see what happens.

19. mikep554

mikep554 Legend

Feb 14, 2007
    The use of UDP totally makes sense for things like streaming audio/video or gaming. In Mario Kart, if some data gets lost in transit, there isn't much point in recognizing the hole and requesting a re-transmission (a feature of TCP) just so your Wii will know where your opponent was three seconds ago. The program just has to deal with the missing data as best it can. Trying to work around TCP's reliability features would actually be worse than dealing with occasional dropped data due to UDP's "send and pray" method.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Another thing you can look at is setting up port forwarding on your router. It will allow data transfer to and from your Wii without being blocked by the router firewall on the ports you specify. I can let you know what ports to set up if you want to try that, but it will have to wait till I'm at home to look it up.

- Merg