MASN and NBC Regional Sports Networks removed from DISH TV, SLING TV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Apr 1, 2021 #1 of 19
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    MASN and NBC Regional Sports Networks removed from DISH TV, SLING TV | Dish

-- DISH proposes new model that is fair to both customers and station owners

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., April 1, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- MASN and NBC Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) were removed from DISH TV and SLING TV last night, affecting access in 10 states and Washington D.C. With this removal, DISH TV customers will no longer have access to the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), and DISH TV and SLING TV customers will no longer have access to NBC Sports Washington, NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports California.

"The current RSN model is fundamentally broken," said Brian Neylon, Group President, DISH TV. "This model requires nearly all customers to pay for RSNs when only a small percentage of customers actually watch them. As the cost of these channels continues to escalate, we no longer think it makes sense to include them in our TV lineup."

MASN and NBC RSNs are demanding rates that would be passed on to nearly every customer, whether they watch RSNs or not. This inequitable model has become antiquated due to the rise of a la carte viewing options and specialized streaming services.

"Our proposal to offer sports fans access to RSNs is simple, and provides choice and value to all of our customers," added Neylon. "It would allow DISH TV and SLING TV customers to choose to subscribe to the RSN channels they want — such as the regional MASN and NBC sports networks — on an a la carte basis, similar to premium subscription channels. With this updated RSN model, no customer would be forced to pay for content they don't watch, and the RSNs would determine the price customers would pay for their channels."

DISH has made this consumer-friendly proposal to MASN and NBC, but they have been unwilling to accept, choosing instead to continue with the old, broken model. DISH continues to remain open to working with the RSNs to offer sports content in a way that provides choice and value to all customers.

DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information.

About DISH
    DISH Network Corporation is a connectivity company. Since 1980, it has served as a disruptive force, driving innovation and value on behalf of consumers. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides television entertainment and award-winning technology to millions of customers with its satellite DISH TV and streaming SLING TV services. In 2020, the company became a nationwide U.S. wireless carrier through the acquisition of Boost Mobile. DISH continues to innovate in wireless, building the nation's first cloud-native, Open RAN-based 5G broadband network. DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) is a Fortune 250 company.

2. Apr 4, 2021 #2 of 19
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If they will take that stand against rsns, why not also against Disney and Viacom and so forth? They cost a ton too…

3. Apr 4, 2021 #3 of 19
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has taken that stand against non-RSNs. While RSNs affect 5-10% of subscribers the other groups affect more subscribers.

4. Apr 4, 2021 #4 of 19
    inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Which did they drop? I thought they still carry Viacom and so forth. If you mean take a stand by going into a dispute for a while that’s not what I’m talking about. They literally refuse to pick up the rsns unless they are allowed to be sold a la cart yet they continue to pick up other channels without requiring a la cart or did I miss a huge announcement somewhere.

5. Apr 4, 2021 #5 of 19
    Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    They don't carry HBO.

6. Apr 4, 2021 #6 of 19
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Is that really an issue? HBO Max at the same price is a much better deal.

7. Apr 4, 2021 #7 of 19
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Dish's gripe with HBO was more like the owner of HBO wanted Dish to pay for a minimum number of subscribers, which was higher than Dish wanted to guarantee.

8. Apr 4, 2021 #8 of 19
    crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    Which was available a la carte. Kind of the opposite of the issue we are talking about here.

9. Apr 4, 2021 #9 of 19
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Getting to the point of allowing a long term outage (and not accepting whatever offer the content provider makes to avoid losing channels) *IS* taking a stand. DISH has done that with many content providers leaving the channels off for as long as it takes to get a mutually acceptable deal. Not counting resolved disputes ignores a long history of seeking a better deal.

The majority of recent disputes are with station groups, Sinclair, Wiegel, etc that own many local TV stations across the country. Those stations cannot be sold a la carte - if carried they must be sold as a package with the other local TV stations in each market. (DISH and DIRECTV cannot sell local stations with Sinclair stations separately from local stations without Sinclair. The end subscriber never has the choice of dropping individual expensive locals in their market. But DISH does give the option to drop ALL local stations.)

DISH's introduction of the "Flex Packs" a few years ago allows customers to opt in and out of groups of channels without buying every tier below the channel they want. There are also several channels that are available in higher tiers that can be purchased separately from the tier (a version of a la carte). It is a good answer for content providers who want their channels moved from AT250 to AT200 (gaining more subscribers) where DISH doesn't want to force their AT200 subscribers to pay for those channels. Those who want the channel can pay for it a la carte without buying all channels in the higher tier.

As for HBO ... DISH agreed to the price AT&T offered but did not agree with AT&T's demand for a minimum number of subscribers. So DISH let that group go. While HBO and Cinemax were a la carte for most subscribers (included in America's Everything Package) the demand by AT&T for a minimum number of subscribers would have led to DISH paying for subscribers who did not want the content.

Most content less popular than RSNs has left DISH. Cheap channels have managed to find a home regardless of popularity. RSNs are in a position where they are low in popularity and high in price. If they return to DISH it will be in conjunction with more popular programming. ALL carriage agreements are a compromise with each party getting the best deal they can not the deal they want.

10. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I said taking a stand to get a la cart. None of those needed a la cart carriage.

I see zero reason dish and DIRECTV and everyone else shouldn’t be able to say we want to offer a package for $20 for any given markets locals only, without any of the cable channels. They could absolutely ask for that and offer it.

Which is funny because they have had the ability to take locals off a package for pretty much ever. But not to sell just them. And yes I believe some people would buy such a package.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has a package that is "locals only" for $15 ... but it is not sold separately. It is sold as a core package for people who want add ons / a la carte without subscribing to a regular package. With locals sold for $12 per month the $15 locals only core isn't going to pay for their infrastructure costs. $20 might.

Per channel a la carte is a good fit for an RSN. With Altitude DISH made the offer for Altitude to set a price and DISH would simply pass through the payments without markup for a la carte. Altitude declined. Charging for subscribers who don't watch is a major part of the RSN pricing scheme. It is also a major part of non-RSN channel pricing but at a lower per subscriber cost for most channels.

12. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    I have Dish's $15 Locals Only package. Apparently, there are restrictions on where Dish is allowed (or willing) to offer this package, but it does exist.

Actually, no. One of the main drawbacks to Dish's Locals Only package is that it is literally locals only. You are not allowed to add any other add-ons or a la carte options unless you upgrade to a higher core package. This is how Dish tries to force you to bundle to a more profitable package.

13. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    I say allowing Locals Only subscribers to add other more profitable add-ons would help pay for Dish's infrastructure costs. Too bad Dish does not allow this. Perhaps Dish is not allowed to allow this. :(

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I was thinking that the "Locals Only (Core)" was used as a base for the Internationals packages when people wanted International channels but not a regular AT package. Thank you for the correction.

15. crodrules

crodrules Active Member

Nov 21, 2016
    North...
    I figured that you might have been thinking of those packages. There are two different $15 core packages that can be used for that purpose: International Basic and Chinese Basic. Locals have always been an optional add-on for those International core packages, even when none of the other core packages had the ability to drop locals. The International core packages also qualify for some (but not all) of the Channel Packs and other add-ons that are available with a regular core package.

Locals Only is completely different, though. The way it was explained to me (whether it is actually correct, I have no idea) is that this package is available in states where the laws require Dish to offer a bare-minimum core package to keep subscribers connected to local news during the COVID-19 crisis. No other add-ons are available. Also, a subscriber can only switch to Locals Only once. So, if you upgrade to another package, you cannot go back to Locals Only again later.

16. dobe12

dobe12 New Member

May 3, 2017
    Hi: I haven't posted here for a long time. I'm wondering what to do about DISH dropping NBC Sports Bay Area. I'm a SF Giants fan and now can't watch their games.
    I've been a DISH subscriber for over 15 years and am a big fan of their equipment. I currently have a Preferred Customer 2 year discount.

I'm paying $57.99 for Top 120+. That's a $25 savings. I'm going to call and tell them I need to drop 120+ since I don't need any of the remaining sports channels. That will save $5 p/m.

Is there more of a discount I can get? If I can't get any further discount I guess I'll need to cancel. I agreed to the 2 years with an understanding that I'd get NBCBA.
    Thanks for any input.

17. Abe12

Abe12 New Member

Jun 11, 2020
    I don't see Dish giving in at all. They have a business plan which was quoted up top. They have no reason to give in to the RSN's. I just don't see anything changing in terms of the Bally sports stations in the future as far as Dish TV is concerned. I have been with dish for many many years and I would be open to an extra charge for certain channels but sounds like the RSN's aren't going for that idea. They won't get a better one from Dish. At least that is my opinion.

18. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    You better check first to see if changing packages will make you lose your preferred customer discount.

19. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    My new bill has a regional sports surcharge now in the bills, but it seems I am getting a credit for that since April 1.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021 at 11:03 AM