mass DELETION (ongoing) - 0xd80 on HR54/500 Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PeteB, Sep 10, 2017.

1. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    We've had this HR54/500 (6 TB) for about a year and a half with no problems.

8 SEP, 3:29a MST: Software version 0xd80 comes on line.

8 SEP: I go to bed with 1% Free.

9 SEP: I wake up to find 10% Free; oldest recordings seem to be intact. I call D* to ask tech. support what is going on, and the guy ultimately says that the new software is compressing our recordings so that customers can have more space.

9 SEP, late evening: After being out of the house for several hours, I find 11% Free despite that multiple recordings have occurred and I haven't deleted anything. While wasting almost 1.5 h on the phone with D* (including System Test, red-button reset, and an escalation), I look at the History and Playlist more thoroughly, and I find that many seemingly random recordings are both listed as Deleted and missing from the Playlist. I delete a couple movies or so, thinking this is some new mandated-10% BS that I can stem through manual intervention, which gets it to 12% (over 700 GB = well over 100 h of HD). D* is unable to transfer me to "level 3" support, but I am told to expect a call from them in the morning.

10 SEP: 13% Free then 12%; no phone call as of 12:37p

While I thank you all for this and prior help, direct and indirect, I request that anyone posting to blame this on hardware to please have a solid, detailed explanation.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Only hardware issue I could see is the hard drive. It’s possible your hard drive is having issues and the unit is fixing itself and in doing that wiping out some shows.

Have you noticed if the unit has rebooted on its own?

There is no keep this much space clear mandate. And it’s not compressing shows.

Do you have genie go operational?

Honestly this sounds more like someone is deleting shows from a remote client or something. What else is in your system? I’ve never heard of any unit randomly deleting recordings and not found out it was either hardware or someone else doing it...

3. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    If that were the case, free space should not increase, right? Also, it shouldn't be continuously checking the hard drive and thusly marking off bad sectors during normal operation; this should only occur during the start-up check, which passed. And it wouldn't show "deleted by GENIE"
    in the History.

This and some unresponsiveness has happened on occasion, much less since I cut the Series list way down.

I agree.

no

3 HR2x's, and I'm the only one who operates them.

I appreciate your quick response, but I have to think this is a bug in the new software.

I hope people continue to weigh in.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You're in a detached house and don't share any equipment (e.g. dish) with anyone else?

We've had users in the past that have had shows mysteriously deleted (and added). Turns out they were in an apartment/townhouse that shared a dish and an installer connected two systems together.

Just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

5. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    That's correct, just us on one SWM16.

6. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually if the unit is locking up when turned off and rebooting while it’s off that’s when that could be happening. I don’t believe it would not show the space available after it felt it fixed the hard drive. Understand I’m thinking it thinks it’s fixing the hard drive but realistically it isn’t. That’s if that is the issue.

Do the people in the main house have DIRECTV? Any chance you and them share the Internet or a router in any way? Any chance your neighbor is?

Look I’m not saying it’s not possible the software has caused this but that’s has never been seen before when things like this happen. It’s always been hard drive or someone else.

Anyone use the DIRECTV app in your home? And don’t laugh but do you have little kids or pets? Shocking how they can delete stuff without knowing.

Do you put the unit in standby? Do you use power saving? Have you been seeing the power saving message when you turn it on in the morning?

7. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    On a PC, if a hard drive has issues, files become corrupt and flagged as unusable. Not sure how a DVR would handle corrupt files, but if it were my hardware, I would restart the system, enter the diagnostics mode, and run a full check of the hard drive. If it finds no issues, at least you can mark failed hard drive off your list of potential causes.

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Eh, I don’t think the DVR utilities are very good or accurate at getting all that figuring out. And I suspect they don’t mark bad areas as unusable myself. Or maybe they do but the OS won’t reflect that size change in the free %

9. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    This deletion thing never happened until the day after 0xd80 was installed.

There is only our house, with one dish and one SWM. There's no way anyone else is connecting to our router.

Well, we can never really know about the software for sure, can we? If I finally do get to speak with "level 3 technical support", assuming they don't readily have an explanation, I doubt they're going to admit to a bug even if they know of one.

I posted mainly to see if anyone else has had this happen since this software came out.

I used it once or twice when I was out of town a couple months ago. My wife uses other app's to stream shows. Actually, I don't think I even set up my phone to see recordings.

No to all, because one of my complaints about the Genie software (as divergent from HR2x) is that it dumps the buffer when you put it in standby. I leave it on and tuned to our favorite local news station so that we can rewind if something is going on. However, I always have some page or other to which I can go "BACK". So when I press BACK in the morning, depending on whether I see such a page or "Boot complete", I know if it has rebooted overnight.

And it was always overnight, as if scheduled by the software, like with an update. Once, when I was up late, a message even popped up indicating that it needed to reboot, but the software version and date did not change afterward.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    think twice ...
    well, DVR OS [linux] do fsck run each reboot and it DOES verification of inconsistencies in file system [while cannot validate video/audio/data PIDs for sure]

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Wait, your unit is asking to just reboot? It may do this once right after a new firmware, but if it’s asking on its own here and there, I think that points more than ever to you hard drive, or some other hardware problem. And I bet it’s just getting worse and worse which is why you are losing recordings. We have seen software update make a hard drive problem worse once or twice before, but that has been a while. But it did seem to happen. We didn’t see recordings get deleted, but units just crashed hard with drives that where evidently suspect before. It was figured out , for lack of a better term, they evidently put in better hard drive checking into the firmware or something thing. How old is the drive?

Not sure if you have ever done this, but I’d pull the drive and copy it to a new one, (there is a specific procedure and a thread about it on here) and then connect that to the DVR and see what happens.

I just don’t see the firmware randomly deleting shows. It’s far more likely imho it’s the hard drive or a pet walking over the remote. Don’t laugh found out that was an issue for a couple different people in the past.

And as you see, no one else has had this issue either, which is why again, I point to hardware.. the one DVR I had go bad on me many many years ago, it was the hard drive and the unit started rebooting every once in a while. Still worked for while before I started getting issues on recordings.

12. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    It did that once, many months ago. Nothing was ever deleted since forever, not until 0xd80.

It's a Western Digital Purple about 1.5 years old. I would bet on it over D* coders every time.

I have done that before, but I don't still have the hardware for it. As far as I can tell, this problem has slowed or stopped (for now).

Well, no random paw placement is going to delete the better part of a TB of recordings, certainly not in installments.

And like I said, these deletions are being recorded in the History just as if I'd done it myself, not with "a problem retaining the program" or whatever. Point being, it looks like the it's being done through the user interface.

How far back, and what was happening with recordings?

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't see a hard drive problem here. Don't see why you think it's the HDD. Think the update was just coincidental? Think Occam's Razor is BS? Sure seems like the NR caused this.

Rich

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If it was the NR, wouldn't others also be reporting similar issues?

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Logic would tell us you're right. I find D* kinda illogical. For all we know lots of sheeple out there are having the same problem and just living with it.

Rich

16. PeteB

PeteB Cool Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Falcon,...
    or unaware

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    As I recall it was before genies even, so a long time ago. It seemed like hard drives where being checked for quality or something with the update and got killed.

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I’m saying it’s just as possible or it’s the two in combination. I’m still leaning more to somehow it’s being down with the remote or remotely. Only because I’ve seen people hit a couple buttons and do things like this before. Or someone has logged into the remote app and done it.

If his units are always left on, think about how many buttons it takes to delete something. At a minimum, list once and the red button twice. At most, the same two plus either an arrow key or a channel down key any number of times. And when the tv is off... you’d have no clue you even bumped the buttons..

If it is doing it automatically, the only other thing I could see as happening is if when he recorded the programs, the guide data was bad and it was somehow labeled as a Ppv or on demand and the DVR saw them as expired and deleted them because of that. And that would have nothing to do with the update.

I do believe in bizarre coincidences. And then in hard drives. And then DIRECTV making software auto delete recordings. Simply because history says the first two are far more likely than the last one.

Wait, I hope it wasn’t on demand stuff he downloaded. That would explain it all...

19. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Wouldn't OD content being deleted have read "expired" or "no longer authorized" in the history?

(I know I've also lost OD content after having disconnected from the net, for whatever that's worth.)

Also not a bad idea to "flush the guide" (two restarts within 30 mins) after an update. I always do.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good point. Sheeple also think anything they buy must be simply the greatest. Why would they buy something if it wasn't the greatest?

Rich