1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master Thread - HD RSN not showing nation FSN HD games

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jefbal99, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Since the HD RSNs have been launched in the past few weeks, multiple RSNs have missed some FSN HD games.

Last weekend FSN Detroit HD and FSN Southwest HD both missed the 3:00pm ET USC/Oregon and 8pm et California/Arizona State games.

Checking the guide for this coming weekend, there are 3 national HD games and 1 studio show on FSN HD:

12:30pm ET Nebraska/Kansas
    6:00pm ET College Football Saturday Kickoff
    6:30pm ET Missouri/Colorado
    10:30pm ET Washington State/California

Currently, these games are only in HD on a couple of RSNs, including:

CSN Chicago HD (Neb/Kan & Wash St/Cal)
    FSN Midwest (all programming)

All the rest of the RSNs are not flagged as being in HD

I really hope that someone from the D* programming dept takes a look at this thread and gets this fixed before the games on Sunday.

On Saturday, please post what HD RSNs have the programming in HD and what are incorrectly showing in SD (also, please note if other providers are making the broadcast available in HD).

2. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I believe I watched both those games on 94 or 95 last Saturday. I watch so many HD games now that I lose track.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1) The lack of an HD "flag" doesn't mean it won't be in HD... (Look at SCI-FI HD they still are not listing their HD shows in HD with the flag).

2) If it is the FLAG (aka it is in HD)... that is the local provider not setting the flag on their guide data, not something DirecTV does

IMHO... I bet you are going to start to see less and less of the usage of the HD flag on the guide data...

Also... DirecTV just rebroadcasts what they receive... so if the local FSN is not pushing out the game in HD... DirecTV can't miraculously pull it in HD.

4. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I agree with this and some of the FSNs last week were lacking the HD flag, but showed the HD feed. Hell, FSN Detroit HD has been lacking the HD flag for some of the HD Red Wings games. Last weekend, I really didn't think it would be an issue because of the previous statement, however, it was.

Thats why I started this thread and want to track if consistently certain RSNs aren't getting the right feed and if its an issue with the RSN or D*.

I've tried communicating directly with D* on this matter, but they have been less than helpful.

This is where the major problem was for me last week, I confirmed that FSN Detroit HD was pushing out the HD feed because all the cable subscribers in the footprint got both games in HD, only D* subs did not.

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Unless you are talking to the engineering department... the CSR tier wouldn't even know where to start with your issue.

DirecTV is broadcasting what the local RSN is providing to them... so if it is available in HD somewhere not on DirecTV... then either: a) there is some technical problem and they can't get the HD version of the channel for some reason at that time. b) there is a contratual issue that prevents them from broadcasting the HD version.

DirecTV didn't spend all that money on hardware, setup, infrastructure, contracts, ect... just to broadcast the SD version when they have an HD version available to them to broadcast.

6. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    Some of the FSN's were broadcasting those games in HD, some weren't. It's just a matter of finding which channels are.

7. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Once again, I agree 100% which is why there is a breakdown somewhere that I'm trying to track down and find out if its a D* issue or a FSN issue.

I can't see it being technical as I see other HD broadcasts just fine.

I can't see it being contractual as the HD feed was available on ch 94 to everyone and some RSNs had the feeds while others didn't from D*. On top of that, the exact same RSN from a different provider had the proper feed.

I requested my issue be sent to the technical dept and haven't heard anything back since then.

8. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I found a website with contact info for many TV networks.

I will be contacting FSN Detroit today to find out if their is a feed issue and D* is not picking up the proper feed for their HD station or if there is an issue on the FSN Detroit end not sending the feed to D*.

I encourage anyone else who is not getting the proper HD feed from their home RSN to do the same.

9. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Update on the FSN Detroit front, I spoke with a gentleman named John and we discussed this issue. He stated that D* has feeds that it has to pick from, not just one feed that is always on.

He emailed his contact in D* to look into and hopefully rectify the issue today.

I'll let ya know when I here back from him today or tomorrow.

He also praised me from switching from Comcast to D*

10. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    So it appears the problem is on D*'s end. Is there contact info to D* engineering dept.?

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Guys - check out the NHL threads. We've been talking about this exact issue for weeks now.

12. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Haven't gotten anything useful back from D* yet

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Yes, but they are either getting the wrong feed or a different feed then cable gets because FSN Detroit on cable is getting the college games on Saturday in HD, but they are SD on the HD feed on D*. The HD feed on D* *is* showing the Wings games in HD (SD upconverted the rest of the time) so it is indeed an HD feed.

EDIT: Looks like Jef got FSN Detroit to actually respond. Good news! Hopefully coming from the channel themselves they can get it fixed and get D* to take the correct feed. The channel will always have more pull then we will. I encourage those with the same problem on other RSNs to do the same thing, contact the RSN and see what they can do.

14. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    New update, a D* rep called me and tried to tell me that I wasn't getting the games because of the spot beam again. I corrected her and directed her to the Directv website, she said she would call me back.

She did and now has tried to tell me that the feed for FSN Detroit HD Redwings and Pistons broadcasts come from a different satellite than for FSN Detroit HD FSN Broadcasts. I explained to her that I had been in contact with FSN Detroit and explained the issue to them. They agreed that DirecTV was not selecting the proper feed for the Saturday college football games from FSN Detroit. She tried to go into spot beams again, so I thanked her for her time and told her that I would deal with FSN Detroit, because they seemed to have a much better grasp on the issue than DirecTV did.

I didn't hear back from John at FSN yesterday, will be giving him a call this afternoon to see if there is any update.

15. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Edited: Oops :(

16. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
  17. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I talked with John at FSN Detroit yesterday afternoon, he hadn't heard back from his D* contacts in LA, asked me to keep an eye on the games this weekend. Wants a call back either way on Monday with the results.

18. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    So when are the rest of the HD RSN's going to be launched on D10?

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Over the next couple months.

20. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007

I guess this means it won't be resolved before this weekend. :mad:

Appreciate your efforts jefbal99, but it really shouldn't require jumping through hoops to get this issue fixed. I have a feeling by the time it gets fixed, college football season will be over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.