1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAVTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jadirtguy, May 29, 2013.

1. jadirtguy

jadirtguy New Member

May 28, 2013
    Indiana
    Heard a rumor that DirecTV will be adding MAVTV to it's channel line-up soon. Sure hope it's true. Anyone know it there's any truth it it? Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Wayne Kjelsrud

Wayne Kjelsrud Cool Member

May 17, 2008
    My question is will it be in HD? From reading the article it dose not sound like it will but maybe both SD & HD.

3. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    I don't think DTV will acquire any new English channels that aren't HD at this point of the game.

4. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
  5. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The article claims June 10th, on Channel 219. It doesn't quote anyone from DirecTV saying that, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt.

6. tv.fan

tv.fan New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Figures, DIRECTV adds a channel people have wanted for years... BUT the channel has been neutered by the new owner, SO DIRECTV adds a channel AFTER it was once great and now is a garbage channel.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    From the article:
    In "the basic programming package for everyone who has DIRECTV" should be Entertainment ... which should be 20 million (if it were in SD delivered to all customers). MavTV is on some major and minor providers (see a list here on their website) so perhaps DirecTV HD subscribers plus all existing subscribers equals 20.3 million?

And more to come.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    You're right MAVTV is junk.

9. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i give up, on DirecTV on adding any good HD channels until 2014

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You mean channels that are good to you. Who cares about channels others might like, right?

1 person likes this.
  11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Personally, I think this year has been pretty good. And we know more are coming 3rd quarter.

12. ChuckZ

ChuckZ Mentor

Aug 17, 2009
    For those that are wondering if it will be in SD and/or HD (if added to DTV), the following is taken from the MAVTV website in their "About us" section:

"MAVTV continues to grow daily and will never stop its mission to deliver the highest quality HD programming possible!"

ChuckZ
    Harvest, AL

13. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I believe MAVTV is produced in HD only. D* may provide a de-res SD version.

I've intermittantly put MAVTV here as one of my wants.

14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    MavTV distributes both HD and SD feeds. However being uplinked in HD only has nothing to do with SD availability. Many networks are converting to HD only distribution and have the downconversion occur at the headend. Most notibly HBO, ESPN and Fox Cable's entertainment and sports networks.

15. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The only networks that are HD only on DirecTV are the ones in the HD Extra pack. I am sure in many cases the SD version is just a down-rez of the HD feed which is letterboxed. This is good to me as then the producers no longer have to worry about the 4:3 safe area when framing shots

16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Crime and Investigation, Hallmark Movie Channel and Smithsonian all have SD feeds, DirecTV just doesn't carry them. AXS and Velocity are also HD only, however due to contracts they are available outside of the HD Extra pack. The then HDNet was originally going to be moved to HD Extra but they sued and settled on HDNet staying in the regular tier while HDNet Movies moved to HD Extra. Velocity likely traces back to the Discovery HD Theater days where it was a bonus with the other Discovery channels since they didn't have their own HD feeds at the time.

The networks that actually converted to HD only distribution like Fox's cable nets and ESPN use active format descriptors so the receiver at the headend doing the downconversion will switch between letterbox and cropped mode when needed.

17. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    thats interesting verizon fios dropped mavtv HD a while back because thy said not enough people were watching it,I must adfmit i couldnt find anything worth watching on there ,But theres bound to be someone who might like it.(btw i dont think too many people complained about verizon dropping the channe either).

18. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i agree with you there, and i don't mind what DirecTV add or don't add, but i don't expected anything big until D14, i do welcome any channel i always find something to watch on it

1 person likes this.
  19. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    If not enough people watch this channel, I can not see D* carrying it. Remembering them dropping G4 for that reasoning...