maybe coming back but some ?s...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rmwjrsc, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1 of 12
    rmwjrsc

rmwjrsc New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    ...had E* many many years ago, also had DTV for a few years and am now looking at returning. My questions concern equipment...I was a frequent user of this forum way back when spot beams were new...wow this stuff has changed.

I have 3 HD sets, one is a home theater. I must have DVR and PiP on that TV, the other two I'd prefer HD and DVR would be nice but I'm not paying too much for it. I would like to be able to sling from the main TV to my macs and 4g andriod.

I've dug through the faqs and posts and from what I can gleen I need either a VIP922/722 (not sure yet what the K is) on the big TV and maybe a pair of 411s for the others.

My ?s are...
    1. will that set up work for PIP and sling on the big TV
    2. is the 922 worth $200
    3. Can I hook up an EHD to these?
    4. Why the heck does the online ordering thing not allow me to see the 922
    5. When I called E* the lady I spoke to insisted that I get a 612 for the main TV...why?
    6. With the 722 or 922 can I dump one of the recivers on the small TV and use TV2 without loosing sling/PiP
    7. Does PiP not work when using sling or recording "another" channel on a 722/922?

2. Aug 4, 2011 #2 of 12
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'll try to answer inline:

1. will that set up work for PIP and sling on the big TV

Yes a 922 or 722 (k or not) will work just fine on the big TV and give you PIP

2. is the 922 worth $200

I don't think so. Get the Sling box from Dish for $99 and a rebate for $99 in a card of some sort and get the functionality without the extra expense. 922 pushes up the monthly DVR fee, the sling box doesn't.

3. Can I hook up an EHD to these?

Yes, and if all the receivers you get are 922/622/722(K)/612, then that EHD can be moved around between all of them. And there is no fee to set that up either.

4. Why the heck does the online ordering thing not allow me to see the 922

Good question.

5. When I called E* the lady I spoke to insisted that I get a 612 for the main TV...why?

I have no idea, but the 612 won't do PIP.

6. With the 722 or 922 can I dump one of the recivers on the small TV and use TV2 without loosing sling/PiP

No. Sling/PIP is using one of the video processors and you only have 2.

7. Does PiP not work when using sling or recording "another" channel on a 722/922?

I dont' think so.

Here's a suggestion. If you order directly from Dish, you have only so much control over the equipment you get. Since the deal for signing up is a national deal, why not go to a local dealer and specify exactly what equipment you want? You'll pay the same and you'll get what you want.

I would take the 722k as my main box. 2 SAT + 2 optional OTA tuners, gives you good flexibility and the 722k is as new as it gets. It will cost to get the dual-OTA tuner module, but it is worth it if you will use OTA.

On the other TVs, if you use the 612, you don't get PIP, but you get 2 SAT + 1 OTA built-in and the monthly cost is $10/unit lease fee.

Or if you don't need dual-tuners at each of the other TVs, you could get 211k models, pay a one-time, per account EHD fee for it, and make it into a single-tuner DVR. Downside is the EHD on the 211k doesn't work with anything but 211k's.

3. Aug 4, 2011 #3 of 12
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The answer to your questions are as follows:

1. PIP is available with our duo receivers whether HD or SD. PIP can only be used in single mode, which means TV 1 and TV 2 will view and share the same picture.
    2. I don't have a 922 receiver but when the time comes I would like to get one. I like the GUI interface and layout of the 922 and the built in Sling.
    3. You can connect an EHD to the 722/722k or 922. Certain requirements must be met with the EHD to work with these receivers.
    4. I'm not sure why our website does not list the 922 receiver.
    5. You do not want the 612 receiver with the setup you described. It is a solo receiver, does not have PIP, and cannot use the Sling Adapter.
    6. PIP (already provided functionality above) and Sling Adapter with 722/722k receivers (uses TV 2 tuner so message will appear on TV 2 that someone is using Sling feature, TV 2 can cancel Sling if they want to watch TV). 922 receiver is sling loaded giving you the sling capability.
    7. You can record while in PIP mode but when 2 recordings occur at the same time, TV2 recording will pop up in one of the PIP windows. If you go to that channel and try to change to a different channel, a message will pop up asking if you want to stop the recording. The same would apply with slinging in PIP as mentioned above.

If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

4. Aug 4, 2011 #4 of 12
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    1)All DISH HDTV DUAL TUNER receivers output HD on Tuner 1 only TV2 is SDTV.
    2) You have to decide for yourself if the 922 is worth $200 it is also $4/mo. more to have it on your account.
    3) The 411 is way out of production it was discontinued before they even introduced it. An EHD can be used with both the HD DVRs and the stand a lone HD receivers but they are not interchangable. 211/411 EHD can not connect to VIP722/922.

5. Aug 4, 2011 #5 of 12
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    our sales agents at dish cant set you up with a 922 right off thebat anymore. if you want a 922 the only options are to get it through a retailer or to get it as a existing customer through dish n it up promotion now.

i think dish is moving away from te 922 in the last few months they took it away from sales to set up on accounts. then they told front line agents to only sell it ifthe customer asks for it specificaly and if a customer generically asks about sling to get them a 722 and sling adapter instead.

thats why its not on dish.com.

6. Aug 4, 2011 #6 of 12
    rmwjrsc

rmwjrsc New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Great info...Thanks! So what is a 722K vs a 722?

7. Aug 4, 2011 #7 of 12
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The 722 has 2 SAT + 1 OTA tuner built in.

The 722k has 2 SAT tuners built in, but you have to buy the MT2 to add the 2 OTA tuner module to it.

And I think the 722k also has a larger hard disk. The 722k also has a learning remote, and the ability to backup and restore your timers into the remote.

8. Aug 4, 2011 #8 of 12
    Michael S.

Michael S. New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    They have the same hard disk space.

9. Aug 4, 2011 #9 of 12
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    They may be going by something similar to the on-line account builder that won't offer a Duo class receiver until you tell it you also have an SD TV, and don't or can't think through that a Duo receiver can be put in Single mode to be used exactly as you intend.
    Answered, pictures at http://www.dishuser.org/722k.php.

10. dare2be

dare2be Cool Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The 722k doesn't have a built-in OTA tuner without the optional 2 OTA adaptor?

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    The 722k, 222k and 922 have no built-in OTA but all take the MT2 module.

12. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    The advantage of getting a 722K with the OTA module is that you get two OTA tuners versus one on the 722. You can get the OTA module online for just under $40 shipped.