1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe switch from D to E input ............

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by magcon, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magcon

magcon Cool Member

May 12, 2008
    Wanted the new receiver from DTV. Right now I have 4 DTV HD DVR TIVO's and their new HD DVR I heard is not great cant do what i want. Now I am used to the Tivo's does dish receivers act like tivo's??? main thing i am looking for is the ability to watch and flip from tuner to tuner and rewind know what I mean??? think its called DLB . I am a big DLB fan LOL I was offered 1 VIP722 AND 2-612's dish 1000 antenna for 150.00 good bad??? But the most important factor is the ability to switch back and forth. I can do this now with the tivo WITHOUT actually recording is this possible with these receivers from dish???
    LMK
    Mike

2. rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    the dish dvr's are supposedly the best. the deal you're getting sounds good. the dvrs from dish have won awards claiming to be even better than tivo. goto cnet.com and check out the reviews. search for the vip622.

3. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I strongly suggest you go to a local Dish dealer and check out the receivers and see what you think by trying them. They are different from the Tivo's, some people prefer the Tivo's, some don't. They are not the same and I think if you try them (at a dealer), you'll have a better idea of the things you like and don't like about them. Be sure to look at the interface, skipping forward and back, the way it stores the programs, Dishpass, etc.

4. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I'm not familiar with "DLB", but I assume you want both sat tuners buffering so that you can "pause game A, switch to the paused game B and resume from where it left off". Or swap between A & B and still rewind. The 722 can do that, as can a 622, but AFAIK, the 612s won't be able to PIP or SWAP that way. But I don't actually have a 612 - that's what you should investigate on at the local DISH dealer as suggested. Make sure it is a 612 and not a 622 you try.

5. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Dual buffers can only be done in Single Mode and through PIP, if I'm not mistaken. I think the buffer is cleared once you remove the PIP from the screen. It's not like the DirecTiVos of old that allowed you to pause on one tuner, then hit the down arrow on the selector to switch tuners and watch or pause what was on there.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You might also want to investigate what it would cost you to have 4 722 receivers. Dish will only lease you 1 HD-DVR, but you can pay to upgrade to a second one. The other two you'd have to buy at full retail, plus the multiswitch (DPP44 switch) you'd need to make them work.

7. magcon

magcon Cool Member

May 12, 2008
    IIP are the 722's the "king" ?? was thinking about that too.
    Yes I want to go to a dealer and check them out. But wanted so *expert* inputI was with dish a long time ago and they were good. Any info on more HD channels? These horror stories about receivers locking up are they just the exception? just as many of them on dtv board too.
    Thanks to all
    Mike

8. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Seems a few people have a lot of problems and others none. I've had my 622 for about a year and can remember only one spontaneous reboot and no lockups.

9. Slipshod

Slipshod Cool Member

Oct 30, 2006
    It doesn't require PIP. You can switch tuners with the "Swap" button (in single mode) and get the same behavior. I used to have DirectTV w/ an HD Direct Tivo. Same exact functionality - I used to use it bounce back-and-forth between two live shows, pausing when it got to a commercial. That was one thing I lost when I switched to SageTV, but I didn't use it enough to really care. The pluses more than made up for it.

Dish DVR is probably second only to Tivo for best set-top-box UI and reliability. I don't consider it "better than Tivo" for UI. I has some nice features (dual TV outputs), but TIVO does a lot more (room2room, tivo2go, remote scheduling, hmo, etc...). It's vastly superior to the COmcast DVR I had, and better than what I've seen of the latest Direct TV DVRs.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Okay, with Dish, it is important to understand that *Dish* intends a 722 to be used to feed 2 TVs. It has 2 sat tuners (and an ATSC digital off-air tuner*), and two independent sets of outputs. TV1 has HD and SD capable outputs, while TV2 uses a second, RF remote and is SD-only. If used this way, when TV2 is recording or watching something live, TV1 only has a single sat tuner available to it.

A 722 *can* be put into "Single Mode", with all resources dedicated to a single TV. This mode most closely duplicates a DirecTV DVR, given that one TV has exclusive use of both sat tuners.

Dish will lease you a 722 (2-room HD-DVR) and a 222 (2-room HD receiver) without an up-front lease fee. You can pay a fee to upgrade the 222 to another 722. But Dish has a 4-tuner lease limit; beyond that, you must purchase additional receivers at retail, and pay for any installation and hardware to get signal to them. Thus, if the first 4 tuners are enough to meet your needs, Dish is cheaper, especially up front. This is why the vast majority of Dish customers have 4 or less tuners.

As you add additional tuners, it can get quite expensive.

My point is that you need to take a look at your needs and the capabilities of any systems you are looking at and see what the real costs are. Dish's receivers are very versatle, but they are also complicated, given that they can be used in several different configurations. Different things are important to different people, so the better you understand exactly how they work, the better chance you have of getting exactly what you need.

11. Oblong Desoto

Oblong Desoto Mentor

Jan 17, 2008
    I just switched from DirecTV to Dish a couple of weeks ago. I have two ViP722s running in single mode, which makes them operate very much like the DirecTiVos with regard to buffering.

The good stuff: The ViP622/722 allows you to switch tuners using a dedicated SWAP button, just like using ARROW-DOWN on the TiVo. In addition, you can use PiP to quickly see what is on the second tuner. PiP even has a nice side-by-side view option. Each tuner has a 60-minute buffer, as opposed to 30 on the TiVos. This is very handy if you frequently pause live TV. Also, the ViPs can overlap consecutive same-channel recordings on a single tuner. With the TiVos, the tuners alternate, so that if you have back-to-back recordings happening on the same channel and the second program is scheduled to start 1 minute early, both tuners will record that same minute of programming.

Some downsides: The ViPs drop the live buffer for the foreground tuner if you play a recorded show from the list. The background tuner continues to buffer. With the TiVo, both buffers remain on during playback. The ViPs also will drop the foreground buffer if both tuners begin to record simultaneously. For example, if I have 2 shows scheduled to record at 7:00PM and the tuner I'm watching was paused a while so that now I'm 10 minutes behind live, I'll lose those ten minutes when the recordings start. The TiVos keep it, so you can continue watching until you run out of buffer.

Overall, I like the ViP722's very much. There are still things I'll miss about the TiVos, but the new features like PiP make up for it. Hope this info helps you.

-OD

12. magcon

magcon Cool Member

May 12, 2008
    WOW some really great input!!!!!!!! Looks like I am going to switch. Most likely go with a 722 single mode in the family room (62' panasonic plasma) and 1 622 in master bedroom (41' sharp Lcd) and just 2 regular dvr's in office and kids room.
    What regular dvr's do they have? non- HD. Anything I am missing? Anything else I my want them to do?
    Thanks AGAIN
    Mike

13. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Dish has this thing about only leasing 4 tuners to an account, which means a 722 and 622 is prolly what you would get. They will explain and explain that the 622/722 will supply 2 TVs, and tell you that's what you want even though it may not be. ;) You can always purchase what you want, out of pocket.

14. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    While DISH has a rule about not leasing more than 4 sat tuners, notice that it will break that rule. Your original 1 722 and 2 612s have 6 sat tuners and were going to be leased to you, not purchased. The 1000.2 dish is sufficient to get 110, 119, and 129 and feed 3 dual tuner receivers. If you need to go with a DPP 44 switch, it would feed 4 receivers and add another sat location, but adds to the cost if it is for your "purchased" receivers and not needed for the leased receivers.

Your best bet would be contacting a local retailer and explaining your needs. If the "just 2 regular dvr's in office and kids room" both have to be dual tuners, you are stuck with the DPP 44 cost and say two 625 SD dual output DVRs. You could just purchase a SINGLE 625 and run it in dual mode if the "office and kids" are grown up enough to share. ;) Another choice for the office might be to combine the home dist coax of the 722 and 622 together and possibly continue that to a kid's room as well. If you keep the master in single mode so you can Swap tuners, you'd need to be able to have the same thing showing in Master and Office. If you could switch to Dual mode, Master and office could be watching different things, but both would not be able to be recording two things on their own (from sat). TV1 Master could still be watching / recording from the OTA tuner while both Sat tuners are "busy".

In any event, a 722, 622, and 625 could all be fed from a 1000.2 dish, w/o the added cost of the DPP 44 switch. You would also need to pay more for a custom install if you get fancy with cable needs everywhere. Connecting the home dist coax on the Master 622 to the office (or one BR) would be "standard". That single 625 saves a $5 receiver fee and $5.98 DVR fee compared to two 625 SD DVRs.

15. magcon

magcon Cool Member

May 12, 2008
    aww mt brain is getting fried LOL I will have to go see a dealer!! CABILL have to read your post a couple more times. Why cant things just be easy lol.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Remember, too, that all dual-output receivers must be hooked to a phone line (or, for the HD receivers, to an internet connection), or you'll be charged an extra $5/month for each unconnected receiver. The receivers come with a 25' phone jumper that the tech will hook up for you if it will reach an outlet safely, but otherwise, you are on your own to get them hooked up. Note that you can buy wireless phone jacks and extensions pretty cheaply off Dish's website.

17. magcon

magcon Cool Member

May 12, 2008
    Well the receivers all looked great BUT for the config I wanted I needed to buy 2 DVR's outright at 399 each. I wanted 4 each to run in single mode. So with that said I wont be switching. Have a big family and the wife me and kids all have dvr's now and as you know once you have them you dont want to give them up!!
    So maybe later I will switch. THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME. Just wish they didnt have that 4 turner rule
    MIKE

18. magcon

magcon Cool Member

May 12, 2008
    Taco Lover They did exactly what you said lol
    A "management" girl called me and explained all I need is 2 VIP722's. I explained that I needed to be able to watch 2 tuners on each tv mostly told her what I needed and wanted. Over a hour later she still insisted that these would do it. I told her I have been to a dealer and they even said I would need 4 receivers in order to do what I wanted and I would have to buy 2 of the dvr's at 399 each
    She said no they were wrong!!! Well this went on back and forth for a while and then finally told her that I would go look again.
    She was very determained to convince me and kinda did but I know better lol
    Why dont they have a "store" or something D has bestbuy and such. If I could see it work and take the wife to see it this would be much easier. I also told her this.
    Mike

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    They tell that to a LOT of people who are former/current DirecTV subscribers. Those folks KNOW what it means to have TWO tuners dedicated to one TV. The salespeople are trained to think in Dish Network terms, where it is "normal" to have the two tuners shared between two TVs.

The reps also don't seem to grasp that the TV2 output is not HD, which makes a lot of people upset when they see a grainy SD picture on their 52" flat panel in the second room.

Granted, it's the perfect solution for many folks, but sharing a DVR between 2 TVs isn't ideal for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.