McAfee antivirus "virus"

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018 #1 of 38
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I've got it, bad. My McAfee subscription expired 37 days ago (gee, how would I know that?) and now I am continually assaulted by pop up, drop down, and slide out messages altering me to potential threats to my computer, and the most annoying characteristic of them is that, quite often, the close message function does not appear for several seconds. What ever happened to the way we used to just hit something like "ctrl" and "f-something" to close the top window?

How can exorcise these McAfee demons?

2. Oct 6, 2018 #2 of 38
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    pay to extend your subscription ?

3. Oct 6, 2018 #3 of 38
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Control Panel - Programs - Programs and Features. Scroll down list to McAfee and right click. Select Uninstall.

AZ., jimmie57 and NYDutch like this.
  4. Oct 6, 2018 #4 of 38
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    UNinstall McAfee or re-up your subscription.

5. Oct 7, 2018 #5 of 38
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My ISP (Optimum) gives us McAfee at no cost. Works well and can't beat the cost.

Rich

6. Oct 7, 2018 #6 of 38
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Windows Defender works well for me. I have to uncheck McAfee install every time I update my Java installation.

7. Oct 8, 2018 #7 of 38
    Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Although my hubs usually build puters, last time we got a pre-built one, first thing 86ed was McAfee.

8. Oct 8, 2018 #8 of 38
    grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    Eset has a good online scanner that you can use for free.

9. Oct 8, 2018 #9 of 38
    Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Comcast/Xfinity has the full Norton Security Suite available free to subscribers.

I also use Malwarebytes and CCleaner.

jimmie57 likes this.
  10. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA

11. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    I GOT IT AND HATE MCAFEE!!! REMOVED ALL FROM MY COMPUTER AND DOWNLOADED NORTON 360 AS HAVE ON 5 OTHER COMPUTERS AT HOME AND AT WORK. USE NORTON ERASER IF SOMETHING GETS BY VIA MALWARE AND WORKS GREAT1!!! GO INTO DOWNLOADS FOR THIS.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    please turn off caps lock - you are shouting here

blueoyster likes this.
  13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I went ahead and renewed for $70. It ran for a while, and then I got a notice that my trial was up and as far as I can tell, it is not running now, because the slide out box in the lower right hand corner that had been telling me that the site I was about to visit was OK doesn't happen anymore.

This is becoming more work than I hoped to do. I guess I will uninstall everything "McAfee" and then try to reinstall; the idea being that I will have eliminated any conflict between re-authorization and a free trial.

14. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    But I will still need to somehow "de-junk", I guess, because from what I have read so far, it seems like what I have subscribed to from McAfee is just a gatekeeper that does not seek and neutralize anything that may already be in my computer.

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found this and it looks legit.
    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    Download McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool or MCPR from the McAfee site and run it. Once you agree to the T&Cs, the program will start. Strangely enough there is no trigger to uninstall the McAfee program as MCPR automatically detects the McAfee software installed on your computer and uninstalls it for you.

Link:Completely uninstall McAfee Internet Security or Antivirus from Windows

16. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I accessed, Settings, and then Uninstall Programs, and saw three McAfee programs. When I started to uninstall the first, using the HP laptop's own Windows 10 uninstall software, it warned me that the program I was about to uninstall had subscription life left, so I bailed out.

I then tried to uninstall the second of the three, but it ignored my request.

I then uninstalled the third one listed, which I'm pretty sure was the free trial version that came installed in the computer.

I have since rebooted and McAfee presented me with a slide out box that said I was about to connect to a new wireless source and that it was OK. I guess now I have to do something like try to access a program with a virus in it and see if McAfee protects me. Any suggestions for a "bad news" website?

17. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    for me, it's McAfee LiveSafe. Excellent program.It includes a very good firewall. It updates itself automatically so you always have the latest version. It checks all your apps to make sure you have the latest updates and with your consent, updates them to the latest release. It even includes a password manager.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  18. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I went ahead and renewed for $70. That is a lot of money. How many computers are you allowed to download McAfee on? If this is only for one computer - you are being robbed! That is too much for antivirus. I would pay that amount if it was for three years and up to three downloads on a computer or laptop!

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    read the fine print, some packages allow to install it on certain amount of PC

20. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I never did remedy the conflict between my purchased and installed McAfee and the nuisance teaser enticements that keep popping up from the pre-installed sample version, but that HP laptop bit the dust last week, and I bought a near identical one that had Windows 10 in it rather than the Windows 7 I had been running.

As or after I imported my Firefox, a message came up saying that my McAfee transfer was successful. I don't remember much about that message, other than the fact that it surprised (and pleased) me.

Yesterday, a pop-up appeared on my screen that looked to be a virus enticement, asking me for my password and incorporating a syntax problem (Boris at work?). I think it said something about kettledrum.cie. I was expecting a McAfee warning to slide out from the lower right side of my screen but none did, and in fact, no McAfee warnings have presented themselves to me.

I diffused the assault on my computer by deliberately crashing it.

I decided to deliberately "install" McAfee and downloaded it to this computer after having logged in, but when I went to install, it said that it was already installed. It seems that this computer has Windows Defender installed in it and it is suppressing the McAfee, which I guess is alright with me, except that I will have to remember to prevent McAfee from debiting my card at renewal time, but still, I would like some sign that Defender is doing its job and protecting me. How can I get Defender to reveal itself? Might there be some benign, "test virus" that I can expose my computer to, to see if Defender deflects it?