1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McTivia takes your PC to your TV screen

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Chris Blount, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    mctiviasmall.jpg

"McTiVia in the USA!" Brought to You by CompuExpert

Wireless Mac/PC sharing device awarded Best in Show at Macworld Expo 2011;
    Coming to North America in May 2011
    McTiVia
    The McTiVia is a wireless Mac/PC to TV device

Lake Forest, Calif.-April 14, 2011-CompuExpert, a division of Digital Interactive Systems Corp., announced today that the award-winning McTiVia from Awind will be available in North America at the end of May. The McTiVia is the first networkable device that can show all content from either Mac® or Windows®-based computers on your TV wirelessly. Easily share any content from your computer with friends and family in the comfort of your living room, including video, music, photos, presentations, websites and more. The McTiVia was recently recognized by Macworld with a Best in Show award at the 2011 Macworld Expo.

"CompuExpert is constantly traveling the globe in search of innovative products such as the McTiVia," said Ammar Adra, president of CompuExpert. "We're excited to make it available to Mac and PC users in the United States."

Simple to set up, the McTiVia connects to your high definition television via HDMI cable and uses your home network to access content from the computer. Up to eight computers can be controlled from the McTiVia via mouse or keyboard. The device will also serve as a wireless access point for your home.

The McTiVia is expected to be available at retail throughout North America in late May 2011 for a suggested price of $199.

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't know the details on this thing but if it's wireless only then it's a non-starter. Wireless, even N can't reliably handle 1080p/HD in most cases. Always need to go wired to get proper HD streaming. Plus Roku and other boxes already do this. I'm not seeing the market for another box that does this...and is wireless only which is *really bad*.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've looked at a couple of wireless PC(USB)-to-TV(HDMI) devices, typically requiring a dongle at the PC which, with my space-limited, chair-side setup, isn't really practical. It sounds like a wireless over-LAN setup would be the ideal solution as long as PQ is acceptable.

Long overdue, IMO.

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Well, that's the problem, in most cases it's not acceptable. Even at "N", wireless is too flaky to handle solid HD streaming. Many people at AVS in the HTPC forum have tried wireless streaming and failed. Once in a while someone gets good results but it's pretty rare. All I can say is try it and see if it works.

5. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    Sounds like just another player in an already overcrowded market. $200 is a pretty hefty price tag to boot.

6. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I was hoping to see something better for the Mac's especially in the wired format.

Anyone have suggestions about getting info (video, images) from a Mac to a DirecTV receiver?