1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MDU - new HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jokerz, Oct 11, 2007.

1. jokerz

jokerz Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I live in a high rise in chicago we have MDU and get some of the HD channels but none of the new HD channels. Our account rep has delayed sending up an estimate on what it will take to get the new HD channels for about 2 months now. What can i do to help move this along? Is there someone at DTV that can help. The MDU regional manager is a total tool and does not really care either. I am sure other places with MDU have the same issue if they are using MFH2. The crappy part in all this is that am paying for HBO and Showtime and not getting the new HD channels. I am sure others are in the same boat....

-JkZ

2. jash

jash AllStar

Sep 1, 2007
    joker, if you have the right hd capable box you can get all the mpeg2 based hd channels today in your mdu setup as i do today. hbo and showtime in hd, channels 70 and 71, espn 1 and 2, 72 and 73, universal hd, discovery hd, hd net movies and hd net, the rest of the 70's minus 77. you might have an authorization problem if you are paying for these. call d* and check. the problem with being in an mdu implementation is that we have no eta for upgrades of mfh1 to mfh2 which will give us access to all the mpeg4 content everyone else is enjoying.

make sense?

3. kevandju

kevandju Cool Member

Jan 22, 2007
    jokerz right now the solution for you is MFH-2. That will enable you to get all of the new HD channels that are MPEG4 assuming you have a MPEG4 HD box (HR20, H20, H21). With MFH-2 there will be a stack of SWM modules in each of your IDF closets. Unfortunately the release of MFH-2 is coming slowly, was supposed to be Q4 2007, but I've been told it is now more realistically Q1 2008. So until then there is really nothing you can do for your MDU install. I know DirecTV is allowing a select few MDU dealers to put in MFH-2 right now on a beta type basis though.

Good luck, hopefully beginning of 2008 will be plenty of time for MFH-2 to get released.

4. net17

net17 Mentor

Aug 16, 2006
    What can an MDU "consumer" do with regards to expediting the MFH-2 upgrade to their building. My MDU carrier does not care, my building management does not care, and most of the tenants do not seem to care. Where should I start D*, or just keep pestering my building management, and or Consolidated Smart Systems (my MDU carrier)?

5. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Their nothing you can do but wait. MFH-2 is not out yet.

6. kevandju

kevandju Cool Member

Jan 22, 2007
    As yogi said you are just going to have to wait. DirecTV is holding this up, believe if MDU companies could install MFH-2 right now or if there was anyway to get a hold of the equipment they would.

Just think of the people that are getting MDU installs in the next few months and MDU installers have to put in MFH-1, full well knowing in less than a month or two they are going to have to go right back to the install and upgrade it to MFH-2.

7. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But while DirecTV finalized the details about MFH-2...

It would not start to start getting the topic on board with your "association" board, or your building management meetings...

As ultimate... your governing body (Be it an association, or the ownership of the building)... needs to pull the trigger (and $$$) on the cost of the upgrade.

DirecTV cant' force them to upgrade... and they are not going to do it for free...

So yes... It would be prudent to at least get the quesiton on the table, at least so it can be considered for 2008 finances (since it is budget time in a lot of places)

8. danielb6752

danielb6752 Mentor

Sep 9, 2006
    My parents live in a newer building by water tower, and they solicited bids from a few MDU installers in the city.

The carpet baggers the condo assn. chose had a town hall style meeting which was very frustrating. They all but pretended not to know what the 5LNB dish was, and would not acknowledge that any new programming was coming during the meeting. They wanted to sell their single wire MDU system that supported the Phase 3 dish, but nothing more.

After awhile they figured out that i was intelligent enough to embarass them in front of all 40 unit owners, and my intelligence represented a threat to their ability to sell their dbs maintenance and wireless internet service which was backed by "multiple T1s from lots of providers". Wow.

In the end I ended up getting them to install a AT9 dish, 16 port multiswitch, and cabling 4 feeds to the apartment, where we have a WB68 to distribute within the unit... but only under the indirect threat that if they didn't, I'd have my parents tell everyone in the building what scumbags they really were.

Fast forward 15 months, and they are probably the only people in the building with MP4 capabilities out of 42 units... though I would guess probably 25 are still on Crapcast.

9. Runch Machine

Runch Machine AllStar

Nov 19, 2005
    And that's the problem. MDU providers can't make out financially if 70% of the property stays with Comcrap. Best thing to do is ask the MDU provider to offer a bulk deal which would require that everyone take Directv. The benefit to all is significant savings and more HD channels than anyone else, once MHF2 comes out.

10. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I think the FCC is about to outlaw such practices.

11. jokerz

jokerz Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Thank you for the replys so before we get to much off topics. let just sum up

Those ppl that have MDU and MFH1 currently in there units CANNOT do anything but wait until MFH2 is ready to go out.

You can be proactive and bring it up to your board to get it on the books for next year as it may or may not cost money depending on your MDU agreement.

Thx
    -jkz

12. danielb6752

danielb6752 Mentor

Sep 9, 2006
    I don't disagree, however, the building is full of VERY picky people... some people wanted dish so they could get french programming, some wanted D*, some wanted both, etc...

Methinks the MDU people are making out just fine, they're also selling internet service in addition to hefty install fees for all the equipment. They said they needed 15 units in order to enter the building.

13. gadgetfreaky

gadgetfreaky Banned User

Jul 5, 2007
    It's kind of odd--my signal strength for the off air shows in the 70s. But every now and again --like once a week I have to redo my off air channels. Otherwise it shows them as searching for signal. Not sure whats going on--maybe my setup from the wall to the splitter. or maybe the splitter itself.
    Seems odd though if the signal strenght is there why it would show it as searching for signal for off air. I hate MDUS!

14. jash

jash AllStar

Sep 1, 2007
    the mdu's don't know how to get the ota to all the units in the bigger buildings. ask them to find a way to boost the signal to you.

15. scottz46

scottz46 Cool Member

Sep 4, 2007
    if your to close to the sears or hancock some of the ota s dont work.. I have specifically had trouble with 2-1. Terk rabbit ears plugged into the of back of my tv worked fine in the lasalle and division area.

16. jokerz

jokerz Cool Member

Dec 22, 2006

well with the knowledge i got from people on this forum am glad to say we are on our last day from upgrading our whole building from MFH1 to MFH2. After arming myself with knowledge and bring it to the board and a long process to stupid legal its almost done. We should be going live tomorrow and i should have all my channels i want in HD soon /crossed fingers.. thanks dbstalk

17. DirecTv Chicago

DirecTv Chicago Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Congratulations. What finally got the job done? Was it your persistence or the lawyers that finally got them to upgrade.

18. Wally20

Wally20 Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    WOW. And I thought my HOA was slow upgrading our equipment but this takes it to a whole other level. I guess the month and a half I've been bugging them is nothing. Glad my situation didn't need any legal aspects to it. What exactly did you have to do to get the upgrade done? I only made veiled threats about sticking a dish on my balcony so it would force them to act on it.

Glad to see you're going to be getting your new HD. I still have to wait a month for the upgrade to happen.

19. swaptech

swaptech Cool Member

May 10, 2008
    As an installer I cannot state the importance of making sure that the dish is dithered properly. I have access to D* direct training and the importance of dithering is crucial. I would make sure you have an experianced Tech out to make sure it is dithered properly.

20. swaptech

swaptech Cool Member

May 10, 2008
    I would just also like to state that a 1/4" off on a dish alignment is 800 miles off on a satellite!!