Me and Attv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sstv, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Mar 3, 2020 #1 of 22
    sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I have 14 days to check out my ATTV. I don,t have the boxes yet but they should be here this week. I started out trying to compare prices with DTV and could not get the job done so the 14 day rule comes into play. From everything I have read, ATTV looks good. I suspended my DTV account for six months so I have a option of coming back.
    I stream a lot with my ROKU and a few apps. Some of these apps are included with ATTV. Here,s what I need to know. Can i transfer my ROKU apps or do I cancel the ROKU apps the start fresh with ATTV. Maybe when I get ATTV setup the answer will show up.
    SSTV

2. Mar 3, 2020 #2 of 22
    Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    My question(s) here are:

1) You mean AT&T TV? The new product introduced yesterday?

2) If so, are they offering 14 day trials? I haven't seen that. Everything I read tells me that a customer has to commit to 2 years.

3) I'm not sure what apps you want to "transfer". Do you mean the accounts that are on Roku (for example your Hulu, Netflix etc.) If that's what you mean, generally how that works is the apps will ask you for existing logins and if they exist, the accounts will be ported over. For example I am able to use Netflix on Roku, Firestick, XBox and my SmartTV, as well as my Android devices.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. Mar 3, 2020 #3 of 22
    techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    2) AT&T TV has a 14 day buyer's remorse period. It's technically a grace period similar to U-Verse TV and not a free trial but if you find the product is not for you during the 14 day window you can cancel and return the devices with no penalty.

Here is the full AT&T TV cancellation policy.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  4. Mar 3, 2020 #4 of 22
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds like the TS has an active subscription to the new service but it sure sounds like he should have received the box before the service started.

Rich

compnurd likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2020 #5 of 22
    Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Yeah, that's what got me confused.

Quick question (not to hijack the OP), do you know if this service has personalized DVR lists? I always felt that was something missing from the Genie service. I know TVision has that, and YTTV has it as well.

6. Mar 3, 2020 #6 of 22
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, but there is a thread running about the service. Perhaps that TS knows the answer. If this service truly mirrors D* as we know it, I'd kinda doubt they'd do that. Let me see if I can find that thread.

Rich

7. Mar 3, 2020 #7 of 22
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Here's a link to that thread: C71KW Review (AT&T TV device)

One of the better reviews I've seen here, BTW.

Rich

techguy88 likes this.
  8. Mar 3, 2020 #8 of 22
    sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Don,t worry about Hijacking the post. I know this Board is for DTV but I also know that a lot of people are interested in the new service and the people on this board will be looking at ATTTV. All of us want a feature packed, reliable TV system and this is the place to get answers.
    SSTV

Rich, 242424 and Steveknj like this.
  9. Mar 3, 2020 #9 of 22
    techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    I wasn't able to find a way to set up personalized lists for different individuals. With AT&T TV Now w/ the AT&T TV device the Cloud DVR list works like the Whole Home DVR list for DirecTV where all the recordings are shared across all devices/receivers.

10. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Got the boxes and installed one in my room.All the equipment was of high quality neatly packed. They provided a very brief hook up guide but a little more info on the full installation would be helpful. I spent hours going in circles and had to call Att for help. We got it up and running and it had a very nice 1080p picture. "Pairing" the box and TV resulted in only the ON-OFF working on the TV no volume control. The TV is a 32 inch INSIGNIA from BEST BUY which works great in my small room. The guide sucks and the local PBS station was missing. Learning how to use the TALKING remote is easy, To change channels you push a MIC button and say Channel 5 and Channel 5 comes up on the screen, you say launch Netflix and Netflix comes up. Kinda neat.
    I have a GENIE with a LCC and this beats the ATT TV box hands down. The cloud is nice for lots of recordings but I don,t have a problem with lack of HDD space with DTV. For Streaming I have a ROKU that works great, so for me I think I will stay with DTV. I,am going to play with the ATT box for a few days just to make sure of all the things it can do but it looks like DTV is best for me

Rich and 242424 like this.
  11. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    When you go under settings go to "Remote & Devices" then "Program Your Remote" and go to "Advance Remote Programming" make sure "Switch Volume Control" is set to "TV". When I first set mine up it was set to control the volume of the "Speaker System" even though I don't have one. :rolleyes: It probably won't hurt trying to re-run the TV setup and search for Insignia a second time. I had to do that with my Vizio since it was an older model.

For most channels you should be able to press the Mic button and say "Tune to ESPN", "Go to Cartoon Network" or "Play NBC" and it should tune to those channels. The only time I had to use the channel numbers was for the Regional Sports Networks. Like for Fox Sports Ohio I had to say "Tune to channel six-hundred-and-sixty" or for SportsTime Ohio I would say "Go to six-hundered-and-sixty-two". If you try to say "Go to channel six six two" for example it is a hit or miss sometimes it will register and sometimes it won't.

I actually like the guide I found it more fluid and responsive than the guide on the C41W clients. I also liked the look to me it made better use of the screen and the font was bigger at the same time. I liked the program info was with the program instead of at the top as well but I'm gonna guess the look of the guide is a personal preference.

If you know the specific name of the show you want to watch on Netflix or another app like Disney+ you can things like"Show me 'The Mandalorian'". It will then load information about the show with a button to open the app it is available on. When you click on that button it takes you directly to its show page within that app to start watching immediately.

The one thing I love with D* that I hate is missing with AT&T TV is the LCC and AM21 functionality. :( I have an LCC on my HR44 and an AM21 on my HR24. I love being able to record things off the digital subchannels. I recorded the movie 1984 from Comet when it was on a few months ago.

If you have Hulu and/or Amazon Prime Video just remember to try out the built-in Google Chromcast feature with those apps since the AT&T TV device doesn't have native apps for them yet. o_O

Rich likes this.
  12. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    @sstv Oh if you got Xtra or Ultimate do me a favor and try going to Logo and see if it is in HD like the AT&T TV channel guide says it is. I have Max package on AT&T TV Now so that was the 1 thing I couldn't check lol.

13. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Could a Mod please merge these ATT TV threads?

B. Shoe likes this.
  14. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Logo is HD
    SSTV

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Seems like they just mirrored the way D* works, right? That should be easy to live with.

Rich

16. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    HI ALL
    I have canceled my AT&TTV account and returned the equipment.
    The reason: Did not "pair" up well with my TV (no volume control)
    No local PBS, this was a deal breaker
    Difficult setup, No Doc's, just a very brief pamphlet
    Slow box at times
    Audio sync on a few channels
    SSTV

mjwagner and Rich like this.
  17. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    If you don’t mind me asking, what was your total out of pocket for the “test”? I saw a report that they were charging a $19.95 activation fee. Did they charge you that and did they refund it?

18. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    I found the setup quite easy tbh just by following the included instructions (the seller that I got the Osprey from sent me everything including original box.)

19. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    I don't recall all the pricing but I got a email from AT&T and they are refunding me $21.63. Hope this answers your question.
    SSTV

20. mrinker

mrinker Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Colorado
    I tried AT&T TV this week. Its a good alternative to Directv but they could not tell me what the taxes/fees would be outside of what is listed on the website price. I ordered the service to try it out anyway and matched my Directv channel plan with AT&T Tv. I would save $74/mo for the first 12 months and then months 13-24 would save me $25/mo. I was good with that and had planned to cancel Directv if it all worked well. Of course, my first bill added $15/mo of taxes and fees on top of that which they wont tell you up front. This means when I go to regular price after 12 months, I only save $10/mo. That's a deal breaker for me as I rather keep satellite if the savings is that minimal. I wish they would tell up upfront especially when directly asked what the extra fees will be so I could have simply not ordered. At least I am in my 14 day cancel grace period and have a prepaid equipment return label.

ericknolls, Rich and 242424 like this.