1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meanest company in America

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Satelliteracer, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Jan 3, 2013 #1 of 80
    Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    Interesting article in many respects....posted on the Dish forum as well.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/arti...e-meanest-company-in-america?campaign_id=yhoo

One of the things that jumped out at me in regards to programming disputes: "A blackout is the height of hostility between a carrier and a network. According to the American Television Alliance, a coalition of consumer groups and cable companies, no carrier is more willing to do battle than Dish, which is responsible for 22 of the 42 blackouts recorded since March 2010. DirecTV, with 5 million more subscribers, has been involved in six."

2. Jan 3, 2013 #2 of 80
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Wow, not surprised!:lol:

3. Jan 3, 2013 #3 of 80
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Long read. Wouldn't work for Dish even if they paid me! DirecTV is another option. lol

4. Jan 3, 2013 #4 of 80
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    And the thing is, it doesn't even result in lower prices. Charlie Ergen must be making out like a bandit. I used to be a Dish customer, and the retransmission disputes were annoying, but I would have been completely OK with it if they had resulted in lower fees, but Dish's pricing is just as comparable to DirecTV and Cable and they have increases just as often.

5. Jan 3, 2013 #5 of 80
    pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    It would be funny to see Ergen on Undercover Boss.

6. Jan 3, 2013 #6 of 80
    wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    plain and simple...Ergen is a tyrannical a-hole. He may have built Dish but many others have built companies with tough but humane treatment of employees.

7. Jan 3, 2013 #7 of 80
    PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Idiot! Plain and simple!!

8. Jan 3, 2013 #8 of 80
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Things like that are why more unions are needed.

9. Jan 3, 2013 #9 of 80
    Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Just reading this article is practically giving me a panic attack.
    It truly is astounding how much better DirecTV treats its employees.

10. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    I actually ran into a guy like this in my career. He wasn't the CEO but a high level VP. My judgement is he actually cost the company productivity. Sure people put in the hours but they didn't go the "extra mile" for this clown. People wanted him to fail which he eventually did.

11. jeffcarp

jeffcarp AllStar

Oct 20, 2002
    Does anyone read anything objectively anymore? I mean, really, look at this article's opening paragraph. He cites Glassdoor and admits that it is "hardly the most scientific of methods." But does that stop him from writing an article based on the information there.

Then if you take a look at the author's Twitter feed tonight it is full of celebrations about his "first cover." You think these people don't write this stuff for it's shock value - to get noticed? Please.

I have DirecTV. I've never worked for Dish and not an ounce of my well being depends on Dish. I just get tired of these guys who have the "power of the pen" who think they are being investigative and provocative but in reality are just being sloppy, lazy, poor excuses for journalists.

12. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Didn't Dish have to pay Tivo a ton of money??

13. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    A very reliable source has told me that Ergen was, in fact approached to do just this, but his reaction when asked was nothing short of a "Get the f--- out of my face" response.

14. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    An absolutely GREAT read, should be required for anyone wanting to understand what's behind the competition.

15. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I find the article to be sad reading. Charlie's obviously a very smart, driven man who lost all sense of decency and respect somewhere along the line.

16. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    If they had a union, their service would be terrible and our premiums would be even higher. Haven't you ever heard of garbage pileups, people getting stuck at airports, or businesses not receving their shipments due to strikes? A smart company or corporation usually stays ahead of the union.

17. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Totally agree. unions are a joke, its just a bunch of slow over paid guys who drain our economy of growth and money.

You all can get pissed off, but I don't care!

18. hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    I subscribed to DISH for 9 years and never liked Ergen. When I would watch his call in shows he came off as not a very genuine person who there for show. His constant disputes with networks was a constant annoyance. When they finally settled the consumer never saw any benefit. Just the inconvienance of not having that network for a few days or weeks in some cases. I'm glad I left them for a lot of reasons. This article just reaffirmed to me that DISH is just a terrible organization and I hope they never merge with DirecTV.

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    People bad mouthing Charlie Ergen and DISH. I'm shocked! :eek2:......:sure:

20. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In fairness, to me the article seems like the author came in with an agenda, and found what he was looking for. Not to say any of it is untrue, but it does seem biased.