1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Heavyweights Take On Nielsen

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Nick, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Media Heavyweights Take On Nielsen
    More @ FT.com

Related Video

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just finished reading this before coming here. Reading that the group includes advertisers Procter & Gamble, Unilever, and AT&T as well as some of the major agencies made my day.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Their numbers have been stacked since the beginning. The typical Neilsen family is NOT the typical American family. I'll never understand how they were allowed to get so influential.

4. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I'd guess that they feel that some number was better than no number... And as long as all of the numbers are measured the same way, semi-valid comparisons could be made.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I guess my question is, "what's a better way to do it?"

6. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Get all Big-Brother-ish and track actual viewing somehow.

7. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well a start would have been to allow more advanced households to participate starting several years ago. Instead, they denied HD viewers to participate in metering until a couple of years ago and only started measuring dvr users after that. This excluded quite a few people over several years
    that would potentially skew toward watching similar shows. However, grandma with her analog tv running off Rabbit ears was well represented.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    They could have relaxed or dropped most of their criteria so it would be a more random sample instead of the fixed Cleaver/Nelson family portrait. And why such a low number as 18,000. Wouldn't 180,000 or 1.8 million be a better cross-section?

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    There's no way they could use me though. I'd scramble their numbers good. My attention span is so screwed up, I rarely, if ever watch as single program from start to finish. I'm constatntly channel surfing. If a show goes to commercial or hits a boring spot in the storyline, I'm gone to something else. I may come back to any given show later. Or not.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Gee, there seems to be a niche market for the ADD channel.:grin:

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We have the question and a hint at the answer here.

Not only do advertisers have to track actual viewers of commercials, they have to know from income and spending pattern information who these viewers are. I'm not going to repeat my related rant on the Broadcast TV's Summer of Fail thread, but ad bucks are being squandered on TV because the Nielsen's are not adequate in the 21st Century - yes, the century of the information age Big-Brother-ish capitalism.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The answer is obvious and it's right in front of you -- literally.

It's the digital STB, the DVR, and the DTV converter box. Forget about OTA viewers and extract captured viewer/program data from digital STBs. Cable subs would be better than (not then) sat subs because of the potential for real-time, two-way data reporting.

Concerned about viewer attentiveness? A simple RFID chip implanted in subjects' brains will gauge how many are watching, who they are (demographics), whether they are paying attention or not, and even if they've fallen asleep or left the room to take a leak or get a snack.

Perfect for all us tvidiots. I'm ready! :grin:

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The misfiring synapses, convoluted signals and multiple personalities would play hell with that.

14. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    There's the rub - TV is inherently a passive activity. How do you get people to actively report their viewing habits when all they want to do is sit on the couch and vegetate?

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    How about set top boxes with built-in facial recognition technology like the BritCops are using? The STB would log the program being viewed and whether it was live or recorded. The facial scanner would log who was in the room and if they were looking at the screen or not.

16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    And think how easy it would be to tie it to our income and spending habits. Solves that problem. No on to global warming....:D

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The STB is the way to go .. It's the age/gender breakdowns that will get tougher.

18. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    And how many people will volunteer to have a camera in their living room, bedroom, etc?

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It'd just be part of your set top box. I'd move mine into a closet. :sure:

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Where mine is now thanks to the UHF remote.