1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Share with a Mac

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by gator1234, May 14, 2010.

1. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    Will media share work with a Mac PC? I do have an LG 390 Blu-ray player and it can connect to my Mac but will Directv's media share work with a Mac?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Any DNLA-compliant server will work, but for video and for some audio formats, your server software must be able to transcode the content to a format the HRs can understand (MPEG2-TS only for video).

3. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    media share does work on a mac. eyeconnect is pretty popular. and twonky media server. BUT...i haven't found anything that i like as well as tversity, which is pc only. so, what i do is, i run a virtual pc on my mac. i use use parallels, but virtual box, which is free, should work just as well.

then again, i'm streaming music only. if i were streaming video as well, i might have a different opinion.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    EyeConnect works fine for me, but doesn't do transcoding, so I need to convert many video files (it will transcode MP3 to LPCM, so music isn't an issue). MediaTomb (which is free) supposedly does a good job and will transcode videos, but isn't compatible with my PPC Mac (only Intel).

5. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Vuze now manually trans-codes for media devices, including HRxx's. It will also stream the video as well.

6. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I tried it a while ago but it wouldn't work on my Mini. I recall that the problem was either that I had a PPV Mac or was still on 10.4.11 and the version that supports transcoding wasn't available to me.

7. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    EyeConnect does work but I've had problems with the interaction of EyeConnect and my Mac's firewall ever since 10.6.1 . . . I have to manually stop and restart EyeConnect now over and over again, and then manually tell OS X to allow EyeConnect to accept connections for the Music & Photos entry to appear on my DVR menus.

8. ronton3

ronton3 AllStar

Mar 15, 2006
    I have just got a new to me, G5 1.8, dual PPC up and running Leopard, I am having amazingly good luck with TWONKY which says it is PPC/Intel compliant and that it will run on 10.3. I have a OPPO BD-83 which recently began supporting DLNA/UpNp. It has taken some learning but I am seeing HD in a new way. I am now trying XBMC another media server and am having problems, but the interface is so great I am still trying. ron

9. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I'm not using the Mac firewall, just my NAT router.

If I add any files, it is necessary to stop and restart EyeConnect.

10. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    On virtualbox, what OS are you running?

11. shmengie

shmengie Godfather

Apr 12, 2007
    City of Angels
    i'm not using virtualbox, i'm on parallels. i can't see why virtualbox wouldn't work, but, i've never tried it. and xp is the os. i think i tried w7 at one point, but couldn't get it working. but, that was the release candidate. now that it's actually released, i might try again.