Media Share

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - H2x Discussion (private)' started by kymikes, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 9, 2008 #1 of 10
    kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    The notes for this release refer to Media Sharing as a new feature. Although I had a couple of quirks with networking and IAMANEDGECUTTER, this all appears to be working at this point.

However, I can not find any indication of Media Sharing enabled in this release. Should I have a Music & Pictures item on the first Menu screen like I see on the HR21's?? I was curious to see how this functioned since it at a different point in my home network structure and I wasn't sure what media libraries I would have available. I do have WMP11 on several machines but with different libraries on the machine in which the media player is installed. Since at least one person commented that it was working in this release, I thought I should be able to find the 'high level' entry into what Media Sharing was implemented on the H21-200.

Thanks for any help.

2. Altcool

Altcool Legend

Jun 11, 2007
    Media Share up and Running on my H21 AM21 combo It took about 15min to come up under the menu for Music &Pic... after i enable it (click allow) on my comp. comp is running windows xp64bit WMP11
    The H21 did not need IAMANEDGECUTTIER or reboot for Media Share to activate.

First response with Media Share and H21. The menus in media share seem to be faster then with my HR21-700

More to come after i spend more time with the new software.

3. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Everything else (best I can tell) is working but I don't get the Music, Pictures & More on the Menu options. Thought they might have structured this a bit differently on the H21 but apparently that is not the issue. Must just be another issue with my receiver.
    Don't know what else to try since everything else seems OK. I have gone through Menu Reset, RBR and waited almost two days and no Media Share option on menu. The router settings work for Media Share on my HR21 so I am not sure what other tweak to try.

4. Altcool

Altcool Legend

Jun 11, 2007
    Kymikes with WMP11 you have to accept "allow" each DTV receiver to connect to the network. Under sharing in WMP11 it shows all 3 of my DTV network receiver. Check out your settings in WMP11 on your computers

5. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    My media share responded the same way taking a few mins to show up on them main menu;just curious why it shows as HD "DVR"

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Based on my getting an error message during setup that there was no satellite signal on SAT1 or SAT2, I suspect that big pieces of this CE for the H21 might be extracted from the DVR software.

7. 66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    to bad there isn't an eSATA port on the back... :grin:

8. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Wouldn't be logical cannot record with H21 & cannot watch shows recorded with another dvr

9. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    Altcool,
    You are probably on the right track. With WMP11 on the particular XP machine I was looking at, I am unable to "enable" Media Sharing but I have not been able to figure out what is hanging it up. It just ignores the attempt. Still digging. Media Share is enabled on a Vista laptop in another part of the house but on the same subnet and Media Share from my HR21 has been working with this machine w/o problems for quite a while. For some reason, the H21 isn't seeing this Media Library on the Vista library at this point but I can ping both the HR21 and the H21 from either machine. Am I getting into some issue with two networked machines in the subnet both running WMP11?

10. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    OK, I now have Music, Picture & More working on the H21 but apparently I have some issue or conflict between WMP11 on at least two PC's on my network. By 'allowing' the H21 "again" and ensuring I didn't do anything else between 'allowing' the H21 and testing on the H21, it works at least at the basic level. The instance of WMP11 on the Vista laptop can see the H21 but no other instance of WMP11 can see either of DirecTV receivers (H21 or HR21). Since I have a peer-to-peer network that 'evolved' over time, I will have to look really close how I have libraries defined, etc. to try to see why no other instance of WMP can see the Hx21's nor do the receiver see the other computer from Media Share. Probably something in the WMP setup that was done before testing Media Shape on the DirecTV boxes. On one of the XP boxes I see Media folders that show both as Private and as Shared at the same time (that can't be good). A learning experience!! The basic network setup appears to be OK since I can ping the Hx21 boxes from all the PC's but Sharing seems confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.