1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Share

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bghmsh, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1 of 10
    bghmsh

bghmsh New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Ok so I have whole house set up Hr34 with 2 Book sized receivers in my office / bedroom I am a Tivo convert < BUT I have a whole series of videos (thousands) having digitized all of my movies to MPEG2

Using PY Tivo an offshoot of Python scripting I am able to move my movies (up to 4.3Gb) over my home network connection to the Tivo.

On the Tivo mu PC Hard Drive is noted and its a straight pull service using the Tivo Software and the extra Python functionality.

So my Direct TV Setup arrives I can see my computer , see the drive , but everything that I own exceeds the playable limit, any helper programs available to get around this limitation ? I have my old Tivo still setup on another HD input and it still works fine =. I would however like to settle on using only one box

2. Feb 9, 2012 #2 of 10
    ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Notice that it says "BETA".

3. Feb 9, 2012 #3 of 10
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    So you guys going to cop out not fixing it for the past 2 or 3 yrs because it says "beta"? Geeze.

To the OP: Download Tversity (do a search for the best and most compatible version here on the forum), install it on your server, and it will transcode your videos to those lower res bitrates media share seems to require. Its not a fix all, but sure beats DirecTv's excuse. :)

4. Feb 9, 2012 #4 of 10
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I gave up on Media Share and opted for the WDTV LIve Plus HD media player.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #5 of 10
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Media Share should be scrapped by DirecTV because it's horrible.

My advice to the OP: Get a decent BluRay player that you can stream to.

6. Feb 9, 2012 #6 of 10
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I also use something else, but after paying $399 for a Home MEDIA Center DVR, I think I should be entitled to MEDIA... Otherwise they should just have called it the DVR-5 or something.

7. Feb 9, 2012 #7 of 10
    bghmsh

bghmsh New Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Ok so having read all of the responses (thanks) my guess is the answer is a resounding no Actually I have two Media Link 520 HD's and Three Tivo's and a WD media center..

BUT : - Tivo is by far the best solution sure you have to transcode the odd program but the spousal use factors make it worth while (ie it's easy to use) SO my question in the Directtvtivo section is can it stream video from a home network?

8. Feb 9, 2012 #8 of 10
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Are you serious? It's been "BETA" for years. Calling it beta is simply an excuse for its current sorry state.

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    I don't know what you think that I should do personally about it :lol: Geze yourself.

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    D* leaving the BETA badge on it is simply to display that it's not done (not that this incarnation ever will be) and isn't a supported feature.