MediaShare videos skipping

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BigSey, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigSey

BigSey DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Not sure if anyone else is having this issue but when I go to play videos thru MediaShare, they don't play cleanly. They always start up fine but then stop for about half a second every 3 seconds or so...kinda like skipping. Pictures and music work fine so I'm wondering if there's a known issue that I hadn't heard about.

FYI...I'm running XP, using WMP 11 to share and have my computer connected wirelessly thru a Buffalo Ethernet Converter. I'm also on the latest national release that enables video on MediaShare (can't remember the exact name).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    Skipping could be a lack of bandwidth, overloaded PC and/or file resolutions are too high to name a few possible causes.

I've been able to successfully play videos using Tversity with no skipping since I've gotten the latest update. I have Tversity reducing the resolution when it transcodes videos and I'm hard wired to my switch.

3. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    I had the same trouble wirelessly with large videos. Streaming from wired and the stopples went away.

4. BigSey

Oct 18, 2006
    Thanks for all of the help. Maybe I'll try running things thru TVersity and see if that helps. Does anyone know if it automatically reduces the resolution of MPEG-2 videos or is there something that needs to be set?

5. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    You need to go wired instead of wireless. Don't expect Tversity to help with your bandwidth issue.

6. BigSey

Oct 18, 2006
    That's not really an option in my non-networked house built in 1903. Guess I'll deal with living without MediaShare videos...much, much worse things have happened.

7. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    Just for now, run a cable accross the floor so you can be sure it's that. If your stopples go away you'll know it's the wireless for sure.

Sorry man, not to rub it in, but media share for videos is very sweet to me. I have a young child so streming home movies and copying his Disney movies to the HD and streaming is a nice benefit. I listed the Xbox 360 on craigslist tonight because that was the last thing I really was using it for.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I had the same problem with a wireless connection over a ~60 ft. path through several walls (it worked fine with the DVR and Buffalo bridge in the same room as the router). I switched to two of the Directv HDDVR Networking Kits (HomePlug technology) and the problem went away.

9. BigSey

Oct 18, 2006
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm sure it is all about a wireless connection. Maybe I'll pick up one of those kits and see what happens.

10. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You might check out the brief review I wrote up http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=117074. It has links to the data sheets for the devices. I'm quite pleased with the powerline approach. HD videos still have problems, but I get that with a direct CAT5 cable connection, as well.

Anybody want to buy a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP? PM me.

11. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Is this true regardless of the speed of the wireless connection? What if you had wireless G or N?

12. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I think the problem I had was that there may have been too much loss in the path (~60 feet through several walls). My 5.8 GHz cordless phone doesn't like that either.

13. BigSey

Oct 18, 2006
    Great review. Seems like a pretty solid product. Think i'll grab one soon.

14. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm using B here. Try it and see.

15. rayzor1211

rayzor1211 Cool Member

Sep 25, 2007
    I have the stopples with G.

16. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Amen to that. Video share is the killer app in my house. No more scratched DVDs and easy access.

17. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I have the same prob with HR #2. Put an N adapter in but no love. Prolly have to upgrade the router to N and still no guarantees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.