1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MediaShare

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RAD, Feb 26, 2013.

DO you use Media Share?

1. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes

62.0%
  3. I would use it if it worked better but not in its current state

38.0%
  1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Just wondering how many folks use MediaShare so I thought I'd start a poll.

I've seen some posts that the latest version of the Hopper softwares DLNA support now allows for the FF and REW of content so it looks like Dish is still improving the functionality there. Wondering if DIRECTV folks would be more interested in it if it worked better and functionality like that was added?

I've given up on MS for playing MP3's and viewing JPEG's, use Apple TV for that now but still use it along with PlayOn for viewing content from a bunch of internet streaming sites.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I actually tried it recently and it works about as good - which is marginal - as it ever did.

I've basically converted to Apple TV and rip DVDs to AirVideo on the PCs and either copy them to iPad or play via AirVideo / airplay to Apple TV.

3. Lugnut

Lugnut AllStar

Feb 11, 2013
    Eagle, Idaho
    Mediashare is a cool concept and I look forward to them fully implementing support for a wider range of CODECs... as it is right now, it's a little inconvenient as every video I download has to then be converted to MPEG2 and I can't fast forward/rewind. I find myself more often just running an HDMI cable to the back of my video card and using VLCRemote on my Android phone. At least then when the cat steps on the remote and exits the movie, I don't have to start all over :lol:

The real question is how do cats ALWAYS know where the exit button on the remote is? :mad:

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I have an Apple TV for that stuff.

I tried Media Share a few years back and just didn't have a good experience. I've never tried it since as the Apple TV does pretty much everything I need it to for streaming movies/music/pictures.

5. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    I just found this feature yesterday. One thing I thought would be cool is if I could sync the music on all the tv's so the same music would at the same time throughout the house (basement, main floor, bedroom) if I were having a party or something. As others have said the video would be better if it supported more formats.

6. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    For some reason it has disappeared from my system. I had an HR20 swapped out for the HR34 Genie and was thinking the HR20 was dying and that's why it was gone. No help. (My LG is a smart TV and it sees my iMac.)

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Put me in the "I have an AppleTV for that stuff" category as well. MediaShare has never really been a viable option. They should just remove it from the DVRs and free up some resources.

8. Starchild

Starchild Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    I have a HR34. How do get media share to work?

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Did you tell Windows Media Play or network center to allow for sharing from that new MAC address?

10. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I like the idea of Media Share, but even if it worked easily and flawlessly, I don't know how much I would actually use it. If I want to listen to music...Pandora. If I want to share pictures with my friends...Facebook. Videos? Youtube. And if I needed to run a slideshow or something on my TV I could either download the pictures to a USB stick and play those via my Vizio TV apps or just hook my laptop up to the TV.

Perhaps I don't understand the full power of Media Share? :shrug:

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Isn't it a little PITA to have to copy files to a USB stick or move a laptop around vs. calling up a menu item on a HDDVR or RVU client and have instant access? And while I like Pandora and use it a lot sometimes I just prefer to listen to my own playlist vs. Pandora. And as I mentioned earlier having PlayOn accessible opens up a very large world of Internet streaming sites, including NetFlix and Hulu.

12. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I'm running EyeConnect on an iMac running 10.8.2

13. anopro

anopro Legend

Sep 13, 2006
    It's just too slow for me. But I am terrible that way, swapped out my HDD for an SSD on my PC and now can't stand how long my PC at work takes to boot and load programs. We do get spoiled don't we.

14. nike5580

nike5580 AllStar

Jun 29, 2010
    Pittsfield,...
    MediaShare worked well for me until I went to use it at a family Christmas party a few year ago. Ended up just using the appletv.

15. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I think MediaShare would be great if it worked with the current Windows Media Server or Tversity. D* needs to enhance the play back functions to include: ffwd, rev, and resume; added support for more video types like mkv, mp4, flv, and avi; and add support DD5.1 or DTS audio. Also, D* could activate the USB port, so you could have an optional input source ie. HDD or memory stick.

I occasionally view pictures via MediaShare, but I found only Tversity v1.8 will work. Also, video will play, but I don't like watching a hour plus movie in one session just to have the video stream fail toward the end for an unexplained reason.

I used to use a Sony PS3 for streaming video, but Sony's DRM for BluRay discs has become a pain. I have since replaced it with a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player which works fairly well.

I hate having so many devices. AT&T Uverse and Comcast Xfinity both have systems which handle most media needs. I wish D* would do the same.

16. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Like I said, maybe I don't understand the full power of MS? Actually, I KNOW I don't understand it. The few times I have messed around with it on my D* boxes, it was so slow and laggy I didn't have the patience or time to discover that power (and I am a VERY patient guy!). Still, even if it was easier than boiling water and completely self explanatory, I don't know how much I would use it. I have too much TV to watch from my 3 DVRs! :lol:

I am going to check out PlayOn, though.

17. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    I use MediaShare fairly regularly to view movies from my home server. I use Serviio as the media server and it has a built in profile for the DirecTV DVRs. Does a great job with about 95% of the movies I have. A few are Blu-Ray rips that are just way too much for it to handle smoothly. Otherwise, it works great at transcoding everything.

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    No its too slow, Plus I have a limited intrest to begin with.

19. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    i use a 50ft Monoprice HDMI cable from my computer to the TV, no more compatabity issues, ever. Never a hiccup.

20. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I downloaded and installed Serviio Media Server. I had never heard of it, but it is nice to get an up to date media server which works with D*, PS3, and WD TV Live SMP. Tversity was ok, but something went wrong with D* MediaShare after v1.8. MediaShare stopped working with Windows Media Server after the Win7 Service Packs. Thanks for your post!