1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medium "Me Without You" Series Finale OAD 1/21/2011

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cj9788, Jan 22, 2011.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Wow a great ending to a great show. I loved the very end where they showed the actors from scenes from the various seasons and how they aged and then walking off the set. I forgot how young those little girls were when this show started.

2. Santana

Santana AllStar

May 11, 2010
    Really? I thought it was a pretty sour note to leave the series on. I would have rather had the really sappy cheesy ending, than knowing Joe dies and life moves on.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I wonder at what point in the dream Joe delivered Allison took over. I'd say that he was probably still in control at the cemetery, where Allison was running through what had happened to the kids over the next seven years - that would also mean it was Joe who suggested that Marie wouldn't go to the cemetery because she was mad at him for not visiting. Allison's perfect opening statement wins in court but then everything explodes ... but that leaves a chance for more "where are they now" with the mayor dropping names left and right (for those who know all the character names) so we see how things worked out. The future looks pretty bright ... but I'd say that Allison's fighting of the dream Joe was giving probably started early and went back and forth until the reveal.

Then we "forget all that - it didn't happen" which is a bit annoying (but has happened before in the series). The only thing we know is 41 years later dying alone but loved and then somehow being 41 years younger for when she met Joe.

Keeping kids kids over a seven season show is difficult and I can understand generally leaving them out except for the 7 year dream. Joe saying goodbye would be the only way that it would work for Allison ... no goodbye means no death. But while Joe could have spent every day of the 41 years with Allison saying goodbye seemed more like him. He never liked the "seeing dead people" part of their life.

So everything is going to be alright. There won't be a season eight on another network. And everyone says goodbye and thanks for watching. I liked the TV curtain calls and walking off the set. It was a message from actors to fans ... a fond farewell.

4. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I didn't like it.

Joe deserved more than to die in a plane crash in the opening scene. And we deserved more than to be toyed with for 45 minutes thinking he was actually alive with amnesia in Mexico for 7 years until Allison found him, when in fact that was all a dream Joe sent Allison to supposedly help ease her pain that she then somehow hijacked.

I just didn't like it. Just my opinion.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Looks like the writers decided to kill off a series was to....

It's not the first time, nor will it be the last time.

The loyalists to the show (like Mrs HDTVFan) did not care for this ending, but for those more casual viewers...it actually maintained the kind of script/plot style seen for years in episodes - trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't.

RIP Medium.

6. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    I've watched every episode of Medium, but the finale was the worst of them. (IMHO)

7. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Horrible plot ending to a great show.

What a shame....

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    TYS.

[Told ya so... :D]

9. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    This is one of those endings that you either like or dislike. I am in the minority of those who replied.

I have seen all the Medium episodes and have gotten used to these types of twists and plots. As I was watching I was hoping it wasn't true. That the crash was the dream and Alison would wake up phone Joe and beg him not to board the plane. Had that happened IMO Joe would have given her reassuring words and board the plane anyway.

The fact that he did not visit as Marie pointed out led me to believe either he was alive somewhere somehow or he either crossed over or was just watching. I was able to believe the storyline on the amnesia and the fact that the Mexican cartel boss seemed to know who Joe was. The Dubious family name has a bit of notoriety and one can presume a drug cartel leader could foresee him has an asset.

I was just happy the guide info did not spill the beans as has happened before. I remember when (and this is going back) on Hill Street Blues Lt Howard Hunter put a gun to his head at the end of an episode and pulled the trigger. I was disappointed (yet relived) to read in next weeks TV guide that he survived because a fellow officer sensed the lieutenant's depression and swapped real bullets with blanks. I believe it was also mentioned in the jeers and cheers section of a later TV guide.

10. MikeS.

MikeS. AllStar

Dec 3, 2010
    We enjoyed it. Especially the last few minutes when they showed the cast. We didn't realize that the youngest daughter was played by twins.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I like it.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've never really been a fan, mostly because of the casting, but at least the show had the chance at a finale instead of just getting canceled.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That happened the first time. This time around they saw it coming (they must have had a dream).

14. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Add me to the disappointed faction. I also thought Allison and Joe deserved better than him dying in the opening segment and the rest of us being led on as to whether it was real or not.

But I did enjoy the cast farewells. And I also did not know Marie was played by twins.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That comes from the actresses age from the beginning of the show, they were around 3 years old, and there are tighter restrictions to how much time they can be on set. Eventually, they get old enough that it's not a real issue, but generally still use both to prevent hard feelings/rivalry's, if one sister continues with the part, and the other is essentially let go. Same kind of thing as Michelle Tanner in Full House, with Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen.