1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mega recycling

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Sep 29, 2010.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Cincinnati is starting a new recycling program, and they delivered the new wing for my house today. A new 96 gallon bin, which I put next to one of my normal garbage cans for scale. They're moving to picking up every two weeks, but the size of this thing is hilarious. There's even instructions as to which side must face the street, and 3 foot on all side clearance with no obstructions. We're a family of two BTW.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mTbEp_-jDwUEdpHROt84Y8O2cMQA4cCAsJCSlV5XPy4?feat=directlink

That compared to the size they used to give us.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lRoNLQpxRDF9TK8MPT-TqsO2cMQA4cCAsJCSlV5XPy4?feat=directlink

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    They switched us to the truck that uses bins like that for normal trash. We have to follow the same instructions, it has to face out and be 5 feet away from anything. Of course people pile stuff around it and theirs doesn't get picked up.

I don't like going from 2 a week to 1 a week, but it lowered by bill by $4 because I got the smallest cart I could get and just put my extra in the neighbors bin after they go to bed.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've seen them for trash on occasion, but they're not common around here. But it's the absolute biggest recycling container I've ever seen for households. If I subscribed to a few papers, admittedly it would be useful. They apparently will have smaller bins, but you couldn't request one from the beginning, you have to start out on the 96 gallon titan.

4. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    A number of cities have gone to the 96 gal. bins, I've had them in the last places I've lived. And seen others pop up elsewhere.

For recycling, San Leandro, CA had the best I've ever seen. You only pay by the size of your trash can. All the recycling cans are free.

Plus they recycled just about everything that can be recycled: most plastics, glass, metal, all paper that come in contact with food, green yard waste, and even kitchen food scraps.

We were recycling at least 80% of our content regularly there. I wish I could recycle as much here. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

5. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    We have that here. Some years ago a neighbor had someone park up against the cans during the night. When they came to pick up trash in the morning, their trash did not get picked up. Fortunately that has not happened to us.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think I'll throw in more junk mail. They only take plastic bottles and jugs, no plastic trays, yogurt cups or tubs. They just added pizza boxes, but can't have grease stains.

Hopefully I'll find more to put in it, they track how much we recycle in them.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We have had that same setup for years, the big one every two weeks. We come close to filling it a lot of the time and we're a family of two also.

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I can just imagine you at the kitchen sink washing the grease stains off the pizza boxes. ;)

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    A pizza box without grease stains did not have a pizza worth eating. :lol:

- Merg

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    We're a family of six and only have the small recycling tub like the one in the original post. The trash collector allows a second tub of similar size, conspicuously marked "Recycling". We fill them both every week, even though they only accept plastics with symbols 1 and 2, glass bottles and jars, cans and newsprint.
    In my former home in upstate New York, they had an excellent recycling program, accepting all clean plastics with recycling symbols 1 thru 6, newspapers, office paper (no carbons), milk and juice cartons, corrugated cardboard, paperbacks and phone books.
    Of course, they also had 5 cent deposit on soda and beer cans and bottles, which you would take back to the stores and feed to machines that checked the bar codes and crush the ones they accepted ( and spit back the ones they wouldn't take). Once you finished feeding the machine, it would print out a receipt which you'd take to a cashier or customer service desk for a refund.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, one of our local pizza places (and they are fairly unusual, they have a dedicated central phone center for call-in orders) now puts another piece of cardboard under the pizza which does reduce the grease stains quite a bit on the main box.

12. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    We had the recycling tubs for a while. The biggest problem was that on windy days, everything in the tub would blow away. Then the tub itself would blow away. We would put everything in a plastic bag to prevent that but not all the neighbors did. We would be picking up trash for a couple of days. The new bins are much better.

13. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The primary reason for the larger bins (and the reason behind the clearance mandates) is that they are picked up and dumped into the truck by hydraulic arm instead of the truck driver.
    Our little town switched to these for the trash collection several years ago and it was a great switch. Cost every resident $14 for the dumpster, but our monthly collection bills were reduced because they were able to start using a 1-man subconractor crew instead of a 2-man crew. Not to mention, empty trash cans, lids and loose trash blowing around on windy trash days are a thing of the past.

14. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    You must have wimpy winds... :)

We occasionally get some powerful winds that can lift lids and still blow trash. Or even blow over the heavier trash cans, alas.

We've learned to put some weight on top of the cans on those days. (which we get off in the morning just before the trash man cometh--if he's not too early.) :)

Cheers,
    Tom

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, I'm a couple days away from my first pickup, and it's almost full. Though I took the opportunity to get rid of some old boxes etc.

I just wish they'd take more plastic. I'd have more to put in if they did, but to the landfill it goes.

16. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    our city switched about 4-5 yrs ago. We have 3 cans in total: garbage, green (clippings etc), and brown for paper/cardboard. As Tom mentioned in winds they can blow and the bad part is if they blow and it's rainy they can sure hold a lot of water. More than once had it blow over after the pick up and fill with water in the gutter.

17. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    If they're empty a 30+ mph wind will blow them around a little bit. When they're full and on the curb, a good storm might blow the lid open and suck out a little bit of loose stuff. But compared to the days of trying to find your own trash cans and lids, returning the neighbors, and picking up all the leftovers every week on a normal spring or fall day, it's no comparison.

FYI, a 3/8" hole drilled in the bottom at each corner lets any rain water that might get in drain right out.

18. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    We had cans like that for regular trash in College Park, MD when I was in grad school, over 20 years ago.

19. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Rejuvenating an old thread: Last month, our town began using a new trash contractor. We had been using 96 gallon rollout bins for garbage since moving to this area 7 years ago. However, recycling was limited to newsprint, cans, glass bottles and plastic containers having symbols 1 and 2. A plastic tub the size of a Lewis box was provided for recyclables. Garbage and recycling were picked up weekly.
    We now have a second 96 gallon rollout for recyclables, and all plastic containers having recyclable symbols are now accepted, in addition to newsprint, magazines, books, junk mail, cardboard (but no pizza boxes) glass bottles and metal cans.
    Garbage is collected weekly, recyclables every two weeks.
    Our family of six used to fill the garbage bin every week, often to overflowing.
    Now, it's less than half full. The recycling bin is full by the time collection day arrives.
    Our service is free. And the landfill benefits from the reduced amount of trash

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And since I'm the OP :)

Our recycling is now taken to Columbus or Dayton, the recycling plant here burned down, though they are rebuilding. They take all numbered plastic, but has to be a bottle or a jug. Same as back in 2010.