1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memphis OTA NBC mapped to OTA Fox

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cover, May 7, 2009.

1. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    So, this is new. Sometime in the last week, one of my HR20-700s started tuning to OTA Fox (13-1) whenever it was supposed to tune OTA NBC (5-1). This was true whether selected directly from the guide or when recording from the schedule.

My wife was not pleased that we recorded two hours of Fox programming instead of The Celebrity Apprentice.

We didn't notice the problem until yesterday. Now, this morning my other HR20-700, which was fine yesterday also started the same thing. Try to tune to 5-1, actually tunes 13-1 instead.

It would appears that someone has been incorrectly mucking around with the OTA channel mappings.

I was able to get things working again by only after spending half an hour resetting OTA and then running initial setup for OTA, and then rebooting the boxes.

Watching TV and having a reliable DVR just should not be this hard.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come in June.

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Strange. I haven't noticed this on mine, but I will double check it when I get home tonight. Sounds like you took the correct steps. Rerunning the OTA setup is where I would have started. Rebooting the receivers twice in a 30 minute period is also a good idea... This flushes all guide data and forces it to rebuild.

3. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    WMC analog is channel 5. What is their current digital channel and will they change to channel 5 digital at the switchover in June? Someone may have jumped the gun.

4. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    WMC-DT (NBC) current digital channel is 52. The best info I have is that the digital will move to channel 5, taking over the current analog frequency, in June.

The channel that it was incorrectly mapped to is WHBQ-DT (Fox), currently on channel 53 and moving to channel 13, taking over the current analog frequency, in June.

So, it seems likely that someone incorrectly typed or otherwise got 52 and 53 confused.

I don't really understand how the channel mappings are handled or where they come from. I find it odd and a little troubling that one of my HR20-700s was affected by the incorrect mapping days before my other HR20-700. And more troubling that there were no actual changes that should have resulted in any changes the mappings at all.

If things are already getting screwed up for no apparent reason, I'm predicting a real goat rodeo in June.

5. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    Yup. :hurah:

6. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    I had the same problem a little over a week ago. 4.1 was mapped to 5.1 (I'm in Dallas). The guide data was for 4.1, but the picture that came in was 5.1. Things got way worse when I redid the OTA setup. After that 4.1 was OK but I got 771's on all the other OTA stations. I then reset the receiver, and now I'm getting 771's on 5.1 and 8.1. The other ones are OK. DirecTV threw up their hands. They said since they didn't install the OTA antenna it wasn't their problem.

7. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    I have a feeling this is not over for me. I'm now getting a 771 for the OTA Fox channel (13-1) that was part of the snafu. But only one one of the HR20-700s. The other is getting it fine, and they're both on the same antenna. I have a bad feeling that the first one is trying to tune to an incorrect frequency.

8. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006

You should call in the problem, ask for a level 2 tech, then ask that tech to accelerate it. That's the only way software will get involved, and I'm pretty sure it's a software problem.

9. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Re-ran the reset and initial setup for OTA and it is working again - for now.