1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Men Working" taken down for being sexist.......

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1 of 35
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    "DAYTON -- Controversy on Sinclair Community College's campus, over a commonly used construction site sign.

It reads "Men Working."

A Sinclair employee called the sign sexist, and demanded it be removed from the work site.

"They're in a man's world, they need to realize if they're going to work in construction that it's not always going to be geared towards them alone, you can't change everything just because there's a woman in the crew," said Sarah Belden, Dayton resident.

On November 20th, crews from Jcrane Inc., got a call telling them they had to stop working on the site and remove the sign.

Turns out the Manager of Construction and Projects for Sinclair, Elizabeth Verzi, called the sign sexist.

"There was no women in the crew working on the building, it was politically correct," said Belden"

2. Dec 4, 2012 #2 of 35
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Remember the old GE slogan, "Men Helping Man"?

3. Dec 4, 2012 #3 of 35
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Just more politically correct bullsh*t. :rolleyes:

4. Dec 5, 2012 #4 of 35
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Sort of like those signs that said, "whites only."

5. Dec 5, 2012 #5 of 35
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Not even. You're comparing apples to oranges there.

6. Dec 5, 2012 #6 of 35
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    That's taking it to the extreme. But if being politically correct is that important then we need to eliminate Men/Women restrooms and go co-ed. :sure:

7. Dec 5, 2012 #7 of 35
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Strange thing for him to say. I don't see how a comment like that was made in the context of this thread.

Rich

8. Dec 5, 2012 #8 of 35
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Noooo. That would be terrible. I have extremely good reasons why.

Rich

9. Dec 5, 2012 #9 of 35
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I can imagine. But you have to wonder why Elizabeth Verzi finds a "Men Working" sign sexist but not Men/Women restrooms?

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This thread has brought up something that has bothered me for a while. I was talking to a guy from Oklahoma a year or so ago and he told me he lived on the "rez". We got into a conversation about that and I ended up asking him if he thought of himself as a "Native American" or an "Indian". Indian was his reply and he said no one on the rez ever refers to themselves as Native Americans. I've never heard an Indian call himself a Native American and we had quite a few on our ship.

I've also never heard a black person refer to themselves as African Americans in casual conversations or in arguments. I've never heard a white person refer to themselves as Caucasians in casual conversations or in arguments.

So, what kind of sign should have been posted? "Humans" Working? Makes me wonder what's going on in this country. We gotta be PC about everything? What's next?

Rich

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm old fashioned. If it's not broken than don't fix it. Nothing wrong with a "Men Working" sign. They've worked for decades. People like Elizabeth Verzi have too much time on their hands. To hell with being politically correct.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed.

Rich

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Political correctness has it's place, though usually in those cases it could be called "being polite". I have no problem using the words "police officer", etc either. But like everything else, it can go too far.

14. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Being politically correct is when people like Anthony Weiner resign from office. ;)

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If it helps, my son has no problem with being called a cop. I asked him about that a while ago.

Rich

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I've only heard of them identify themselves by their tribe.

Canada uses 'First Nations' for some reason.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I avoid all labels unless they lend to whatever information/story I'm sharing. If I'm describing a suspect to police I'll use skin color. If I'm just talking about someone wearing a crazy outfit in walmart I don't feel race is required to get my point across.

I also know several Indians and that's what they call themselves, Indians. Oh, and they aren't offended by the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, etc, either.

If you make the sign say "Humans" working then you offend animals, aliens, etc. We can't have that. Heaven forbid someone who is easily offended be offended by something that wasn't intended to offend.

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Two very common signs come to mind: "Construction Ahead" and "Work Zone". Signs with icons instead of text have also become common.

19. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    [​IMG]

This tribe outright calls themselves Indians and takes full advantage of the so called "label" they have been given....

20. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Would the PC sign require an icon of a woman and a man or would it be PC to assume it to be a transsexual. :rolleyes: