1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menu System Slow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mojoe, Jan 18, 2009.

1. mojoe

mojoe Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    We have 3 tvs set up with DirecTV. In my parents room they just have a reciever (don't know the unit number, but its not DVR) and the other two are DVR. The menus for our DVR boxes are very slow w hile the non-DVR one is quite fast. Even changing the channels is faster. Is there a way to make hte DVRs fasteR?

2. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    The dvr's aren't slow your just looking to fast!!!!:lol: Seriously though the dvr boxes are a bit slower than non dvr receivers, it will probably take some getting use to.

3. mojoe

mojoe Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    Ah, ok. I figured it'd be the same speed as Dish's DVR. But I do like many of the features it has so I guess it could be a wash.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    With each software upgrade we get the menus are getting faster and faster.

5. iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    My HR-20 has been getting increasingly slower the last few weeks. It now takes 4-5 seconds after I hit the 'exit' button from the guide.

6. mojoe

mojoe Mentor

Mar 20, 2007
    Are the upgrades automatic?

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes they are.

8. iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    So the updates are the reason for the extremely slow menus now?

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    No, quite the opposite. I expect future updates will continue to improve performance. Current updates are not the cause of the current speed issues.

10. iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    So, do we know the cause for the current speed issues and can I do anything to speed them up?

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Unfortunately there is little you can do to speed things up. You can try these two things:

-reset twice in 30 minutes. This will clear your guide data which could be corrupt.
    -rerun satellite setup. This will clear corrupt entries.

Please understand, your DVR will never run as quickly as a plain-old receiver. That simply will not happen.

12. iowaberg

iowaberg Godfather

May 24, 2007
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try them. I'm just trying to understand why the slowdown all of a sudden...and it's painfully slow: 4-5 second response times are typical now. Sounds like I'm not the only one though.

13. bighoopla

bighoopla Legend

Jan 3, 2009
    I've only had my HR22-100 for 2 weeks now. Yesterday, response time became unacceptably slow. I mean anywhere from 5-15 seconds to page down in my list of recordings, exit a menu screen, and even rewind or fast forward.

I haven't done any troubleshooting or the resets that Stuart suggested yet. I did install Tversity for media sharing with my HR22, and I recorded quite a bit recently, taking my capacity all the way down to only 10% available.

Could these two things cause things to slow down?

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Some members have reported performance issues with 10% available, but that hasn't been confirmed.

15. bighoopla

bighoopla Legend

Jan 3, 2009
    I did the red button reset one time and it fixed my problem. Thanks.

16. captainjrl

captainjrl Legend

Jun 25, 2007
    The reset twice helped me a little.

17. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I've been testing some things on my 3 hr21-100 units.
    having Native ON and making sure 480/720/1080 res are enabled and using 30 skip instead of 30 slip has doubled guide speed on all 3 units.
    I can, and have repeatedly, duplicated this.
    might help some of you.

18. surfmaui03

surfmaui03 Legend

Feb 26, 2005

Mine is slow, with 65% available... has been since the last software update. Could just be a coincidence, but it has definitely slowed down quite a bit.

19. bighoopla

bighoopla Legend

Jan 3, 2009
    What does "30 skip instead of 30 slip" mean?

20. MycroftHolmes

MycroftHolmes AllStar

Dec 8, 2008
    You, my friend, are a genius. This has significantly improved my performance. This makes perfect sense given what I had noticed, which is that I only had performance issues when I was playing a Hi-def source regardless of what was recording. When I was playing SD content things got better.

Only time will tell if this stays fixed, but it's looking good.

You have my eternal gratitude.