Meredith dispute with Dish (Ended)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Jul 14, 2016.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    It looks like we are having another dispute, this time Meredith, who owns a bunch of stations, including both KPTV 12 Fox and KPDX 49 MyTV in Portland. The Dish OTA guide is gone, yet the Dish satellite guide is still there for now. But it looks like those stations may be gone by Midnight. So now for Portland, 3 stations gone from Dish, KPTV Fox), KPDX(MyTV), and KRCW (CW), and in Seattle KCPQ (Fox) and KMYQ (MyTV) all gone, and add to that three Super stations, and the NFL Network.Not good. Fortunately KPTV 12 is available OTA here along with sub channels.

2. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Continuing its knuckle dragging technique for resolving contracts, whats new?

3. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
  4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Viewers should be flooding Congress as well as the FCC with calls. Something needs to be done.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    congress leaves for seven weeks vaction-today -nobody works and nothing gets done -

6. poeppe

poeppe Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    Yep, this is getting old in a hurry. KC area will be down 3 channels (Fox, CBS, MyTV) as well.

Didn't really bother me when it was just Fox but there are several summer series on CBS that I have been watching.

Looks like I will be calling DISH to see what they will offer for those missing channels.

7. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    don't forget.......Dish does this to save us $.......... :rolling:
    just so they can raise their fees

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As opposed to the other 45 weeks? :D

("Congress is the opposite of progress" has been said for decades - so this is not a rebuke of any current participants in the process.)

As far as the topic of this thread ...
    It is hard to say how much is saved by not accepting whatever the stations and channels demand ... saying no to stations and channels demanding way too much. Sure the bill goes up each year regardless of disputes. That would happen even if every channel was on a "forever" contract with a set escalator. But caving to very demand... would we be seeing $15 or $20 increases?

1 person likes this.
  9. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    The truth is price difference between Dish and Directv for similar programming is very close. You might say Dish is even more expensive and offers less when you look at the top tier packages and number of HD channels.

If this type of negotiating actually worked the consumer isn't seeing it. Why aren't the savings being passed on? Because they line the pockets of Dish investors meanwhile Dish fanboys for some mind-boggling reason think Dish is doing some noble deed, fighting for the consumer. What a lie!

10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Dish has more variety than Direct has. The last time I checked, Dish had channels like FETV, COZI, & Get TV that Direct didn't, as well as other channels. All carriers have all of the basic cable type channels, but the unique ones make the difference for me. But we need arbitrator of some kind. The rules should be, fight all you want, but leave the viewer out of it by leaving the channel up until something can be decided. You don't find this in Canada or other places. Again we are always the loser. Another bummer was the loss of these channels, and we still have not gotten the new ones.

11. KevinRS

KevinRS AllStar

Oct 9, 2007
    For everyone complaining about rates going up anyway: Dish and the other providers aren't ever getting at the end of one of these fights, the same rates as before. The network for example might want an increase for a local channel of $1 per customer, and a superstation or other "national" moved to the bottom tier, at $2 per customer. So that would be 3 per customer just for that round of increases for that one company. A couple of months later another network comes up for a new contract. By the end of the year, every year, it might be $10 in increases, even without accounting for inflation and costs to launch new satellites, run uplinks, customer service, etc.
    What Dish, and every other distributor of programming is trying to do, is keep the increases under control. If at the end of all this, they end up with a $0.25 increase per channel per customer for the tribune stations, that doesn't seem like much, but then there are ABC, NBC, and all the others that are going to ask for increases too. There is no way the owners of the stations are going to take a zero increase. It all adds up, and the cost just of paying these fees to tribune and the owners may in total go up $5 a year even with all the negotiations and blackouts.

These numbers are completely made up. so I'm not going to argue the specific numbers, they are not publicized most of the time anyway.

2 people like this.
  12. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Congress the only job you can work less than 20 weeks of the year and get paid for full time work and a 6 digit salary.

The work from noon Mondays to noon Fridays, when they do work.

Their 7 week break is to go to the conventions and campaign. Then work a couple more weeks, then campaign until election day.

As for fixing this? Well, the average citizen is not a powerful lobby like NAB.

13. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Programming fees are indeed close, DISH a little less but that does not tell the whole story.. But if you use the VIP receivers DISH is much less than Directv no matter what receivers of theirs you use. I have Top 250 and HBO, two rooms with a VIP three tuner (one is OTA) receiver in each room and of course use of an external hard drive on each. That cost is $26 a month less than Directv. They charge for the first receiver, DISH does not, they would charge me around a $6 surcharge for sports DISH does not, among other things.

In addition most would agree the Hopper is an innovative receiver perhaps the best you can get while Directv receivers need an overhaul. Not that they are bad receivers, they are not but the point is DISH has been investing some profits into better receivers. With the advent of the new Flex package and add ons it also looks like at least one reason negotiations have been long especially over the last year or two is DISH getting them to allow channels closer to an A La Carte situation or at the least most of the top channels in one lower priced package.

14. Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    With more disputes happening to Dish lately, i have a special term for it and that term is Dishpute

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Has the dispute been resoled, as the OTA guide on my 211k on KPTV is back?

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Everyone should go read and re-read the post by KevinRS above as he nails it...

If Dish gave every channel whatever it wanted in every negotiation, then that + whatever cost-of-doing-business increase would be added to our bills every year. Dish isn't just doing this "for the customers" they do it for themselves too... keep costs down as best they can... because they know big increases lead to customers dropping packages or leaving.

Are Dish and DirecTV close? Sure... but consider... contracts aren't up at the same time... so ESPN, for example, asks DirecTV for more money... then gets it... then when Dish is up for renewal, you can bet ESPN wants not just what they got from DirecTV BUT more, knowing that the Dish contract will go longer than the DirecTV contract, and they will want to be able to ask DirecTV for even more next time... See how that works? SO, if Dish holds the line and tries to keep ESPN from leap-frog increasing prices... it also helps DirecTV keep costs down the next time too! Whenever either company holds the line, it helps all of the companies down the road. Imagine how much better it would be if DirecTV and Time-Warner and Comcast, etc. etc. would do this at each negotiation, instead of some companies just taking the offer on the table so they can say they didn't have an outage.

Make no mistake, Dish does this for Dish... not for you or I... but what is good for Dish is ultimately good for you and I too!

2 people like this.
  17. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Nothing official, but the DISH Promise page is gone for Meredith and my station did not have the scroll this morning as it did the last two days. The Station website does still have the Dish Subscriber message.

18. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Maybe this one has been resolved early? Hope so.

19. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Still shows Meredith is in contract disputes putting in my TN zip code on dish promise.

20. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, I still see the barker channel.