1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Message on 2nd TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by circlessat, Aug 24, 2012.

1. circlessat

circlessat New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I have a HR-21 receiver hooked up to my 58" Panasonic TV using a HDMI cable. I have a second TV hooked up to the same HR-21 using a RG6 cable. On the second TV, I'm getting the message, your TV or it's cables are not HD. On the remote control, press and hold down the Exit key until you see a confirmation that your receiver has been set for standard definition. Is there any way to keep that message from appearing on the 2nd TV without having to change from 1080 to 480 ?

2. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Nope, and a lot of people weren't happy about it when this change to the receivers rolled out.

At best you can ignore the message and it goes away after a short time, but anytime you use the remote control it will come back.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Doesn't "exit" also clear it? [of course it will come back]

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No. It doesn't. The graphics that cause it go away but the message which is huge does not.

5. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
  6. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
  7. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    there are devices that will send hdmi over rg6, but unless cost does not matter then better off adding another reciever or run cat 6 with a hdmi to cat 6. decent devices for running over rg6 are about 300 - 900 and for over cat 6 the cost is still about 100 for a decent unit

8. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I have a setup similar to the OP. I use component cables to the "Local" TV and use HDMI to the "Remote" TV. The HDMI run is over 30' and I don't have any problems. I set up the HR21 to be "RF" and can control the "Remote" TV with a spare RF DTV controller. The +30' of HDMI was very reasonable from Amazon. Picture quality is fine. Hope this helps....

9. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    That's what I did for a TV I have in the garage below the theatre room and it works just fine. Since it was an afterthought, that was the only way I could make it work AND not have to deal with that stupid message.

However, we just sold out home and building our "dream home" so make no mistake there will be "proper" hookups everywhere :D