1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mets games/WPIX

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by slt101, Feb 23, 2011.

1. slt101

slt101 AllStar

Jun 17, 2010
    With the baseball season coming up does anyone know if Direct TV or SNY will make the Mets games broadcast on WPIX available to customers who are in the Mets territory but out of the local viewing area of WPIX/NYC area? I know these games were made available in the past year or two to EI customers but for the fans ouside of the NYC DMA and still in the Mets territory they are blacked out. I have heard some other teams that are in this same situation make their OTA games available to their customers on an alternate RSN. I live in the Rochester NY area and Time Warner is able to pick up these games for their customers so it seems like Direct TV should be able to.

2. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    SNY isn't one of your RSN's? We get it as one of ours in Buffalo.

3. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    WPIX carries some games, like WWOR carries some Yankee games. I think it's WWOR anyway.

4. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    i live in indianapolis and cant see the cubs/white sox games that are on wciu (I can see the games on comcast sportsnet chicago). Last year, the other feed was blacked out on extra innings. (I am in cubs/sox/reds territory)

I also can't see the blackhawks games on wgn chicago, but i get the other feed as I get both feeds here for all teams even though I am in Hawks and Blues territory. I guess that Hockey works different than baseball.

5. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I would have though channel 11 would have been one of your locals. However, I think you would probably have to call DirecTV on this one. I doubt anyone here would know the answer...maybe Satelliteracer I guess but I doubt it.

Here in SE CT we get the WPIX games on our local ch20 (CW), which I know doesn't help you much but I was wondering if your local CW carried any of those games. Of course they arent always in 16x9 when ch20 simulcasts the game but at least it's on the air.

How about OTA? That's the one thing I miss about North Jersey. When I was a kid we could get a dozen+ stations with rabbit ears. IIRC, WPIX moved their broadcast tower to the Empire State Building after 9/11 (it was on the South Tower :(). You might be able to use an AM21 (or HR20 if you have it) or possibly directly to your TV if you don't need to record it.

Sorry I didn't have the exact answer to your question but I hope this helps.

Mike

6. d2001dstanley

d2001dstanley Cool Member

Mar 2, 2006
    How does Time Warner distribute those games? Are they mapped to the main SNY channel or are they mapped to another channel that serves as a RSN alternate. I was also thinking that there might be a small possibility that those games are offered in upstate New York on Time Warner Cable Sportsnet. If so, there may be an exclusivity agreement that prevents DirecTV from being able to offer those games on a RSN alternate channel. As a small consolation, you could still listen to those games and the SNY encores should not be blacked out for you because you reside in Mets territory.

7. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    Last Year certain Yanks and Mets (WPIX and WWOR) games were shown on TWSportsnet 13 on the Crime Warner Western New York Systems, in beautiful SD. Now that supposedly TWSportsnet has gone HD, perhaps they will be also.

8. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    You are a couple of years behind the times Mike! ;) Channel 20 carries the Mets games now, the Yanks are on channel 59.

9. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I could have sworn that's what I said...the Mets on WPIX simulcast on channel 20 locally. :scratchin

Mike

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    WGN / WCIU needs a channel for people in the territory of the teams but not in the Chicago dma.

11. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    the new fcc law ban's exclusivity agreement like that.

12. slt101

slt101 AllStar

Jun 17, 2010
    Yes SNY is one of my local RSN's but they don't show the games that are on WPIX in NYC.

Time Warner puts the Met games on an alternate channel or sometimes on their TW Sportsnet. TW also does the same thing for the Knicks, Rangers,Islanders and Devils around here when they are showing the Sabres on MSG. I figured if TW could pickup the WPIX games that Direct Tv should be able to. I guess I'll have to talk to Direct and see why they don't carry them.

13. Chris24

Chris24 Cool Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I think the Mets Wpix games are repeated on SNY.Today`s was on Wpix it will be SNY this eveing

14. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    WGN-TV produced games are already available nationwide on channel 307. Its called WGN America. It's a national superstation feed of WGN-TV and it shows Cubs, White Sox, and Bulls games to all 50 states. MLBEI and NBALP are NOT required to view these games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGN_America

15. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Today's game was available to me on the CW15 in Albany. Check your local CW affiliate.

16. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    NOT all WGN bulls games are on WGN America. All sox, cubs are planed to be WGN America but make up games / game that fall under exclusivity windows some times are Chicago only. Only south bend? has a OTA channel that shows the CUBS / SOX WCIU games.

17. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    WGN 9 Chicago is not the same as WGN America.

18. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Both WWOR and WPIX syndicate the games to other stations in the outer markets. Unfortunately for some upstate NY markets the "broadcaster" they signed with is the Time Warner Sports channel that's only available on cable. Up here in NEPA we only get WWOR Yankees and WPHL Phillies games split between WQMY (My) and WSWB (CW). They usually put weeknight games on WQMY and afternoon games on WSWB. We don't get the Mets locally over the air, although most cable companies here carry WPIX.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not simply rebroadcasting WPIX, it's a different uplinked feed they use, similar to the Peachtree Braves feed. If you ever get to see the feed in the raw instead of WPIX commercials you get a stadium shot during breaks.

19. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Ya and NYY games from WWOR are on D* channel 633/633-1 outside of NYC. I don't know why D* doesn't have a similar setup for NYM games; maybe NYY paid more for carriage.

20. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    the wgn produced games on wciu (channel 26) arent available outside chicago and are blacked out on extra innings if you are in the cubs and sox markets.

Hawks games on wgn channel 9 aren't available either, but the other teams feed has been open all year on centre ice here in indy.