MeTv, GET TV, Laff, and Decades

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jal, Mar 12, 2020.

1. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I tried to find a place to request that Directv carry these channels. Dish Network carries them. I can't find a place on the website to send an email to customer care anymore. Unless I'm just completely missing it, it appears AT&T has eliminated that line of communication. And, the link for "chat" does not work.

I'm a fan of vintage TV, and in order to watch these channels, I'd either need a large antenna on my roof or I'd have switch to a provider that does carry them (Most everyone else including Dish, Spectrum, and UVerse (some)).

Dishdude714 likes this.
  2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Even if you could find an online channel request form, you can save the effort. ...

Since the way DIRECTV structures their carriage contracts, which is different than Dish and cable. The only way DIRECTV carries those OTA diginets on their satellite system is when they happen to be on a primary local channel that they're obligated to carry.

Like here in the LA market I get MeTV via DIRECTV on KAZA-54 and H&I on KVME-20. But that's it, and because those two networks just happen to be on primary in-market local channels that DIRECTV delivers by spotbeams regardless of what those stations broadcast on them.

All the others, LAFF, Antenna TV, DECADES, MOVIES!, get TV, this TV, Buzzer, COZI, start TV, dabl, etc. must be received from OTA antenna ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    We have a ION TV in the lineup that is not a local OTA, and it also offered OTA at least in my market.

4. barnabas

barnabas Cool Member

Apr 4, 2008
    It’s not happing you will not get those channels it’s just the way it is

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Dish does have National feeds on METV, Laff, and Get TV. But the only way they carry Decades is on a local station. Like a Seattle station carries METV & H&I on their main channels. I have been asking for a national feed on Decades for sometime. The only way I can get it is off my big dish, where there is a feed in the clear.But I have no way to DVR the channel.

6. schmave1

schmave1 Active Member

May 20, 2016
    Reynoldsburg...
    This is one reason I have an antenna on one of my secondary TVs in addition to having DirecTV on our two primary sets. The antenna comes up big in times of weather-related interruptions and when it comes to getting those subchannels satellite doesn't carry.
    I enjoy watching Dennis the Menace reruns weekday mornings on AntennaTV, which local cable carries but satellite does not.
    The benefit for me is I live about 12-13 miles from my market's transmitters and can use just about the most basic antenna that exists. I'm aware that even 15 miles farther out, reception is compromised if not impossible with the all-or-nothing nature of digital signals.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  7. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    If Dish can carry the diginet channels, so can DirecTV. They just don't choose to at this time. Calling them probably is a waste of time.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  8. GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    I have an LCC (Denver was in a short dispute and seized the day to get one free) and now I can record and watch any of the sub channels (although MeTV in now on a D* channel since a recent channel change) anywhere in the house with my mini genies. Also I live close enough to the transmitters to use the smallest of antennas for perfect coverage.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Correct ...

It's not a technical issue with DIRECTV not carrying the diginets as nationwide channels.

But a contractual issue, as DIRECTV's contractual agreements with those networks is different than Dish ...

Why?

Who knows ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Dishdude714 likes this.
  10. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    A friend who may be leaving Direct when their contract runs out, has wanted Direct to carry diginets, but they refuse. So there is a good chance he will be moving over to Dish. We have a few diginets here, but not many. So I depend on Dish for others. I hope Dish will add Decades, Antenna TV, THIS, etc in the future. as none of those are available OTA here.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I know that Dish does not have BBC World in AT250. Everyone else has it in their main packages. Why? I have no clue. But it is available streaming.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

More that Directv does not have ANY contractual agreements with those networks. They don't need any sort of agreement with them to carry locals that carry them, the only reason to make such an agreement is to do like Dish and carry them nationally.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH's carriage demonstrates that carriage is possible - the initial thought that those networks are sold on a market exclusive basis where they could not be added as national feeds must be tempered by the reality that many are available nationally. Some of the DISH carried diginets are marked with regional restrictions. I do not know in which regions each restriction applies. I expect that they are blocked in markets where a diginet is carried via a local station's main signal or where a local station carries it on a subchannel and objects to DISH's carriage.

The major networks are carried on a market exclusive basis where the network's contracts give the local affiliate the right to first air the program within the market. If an affiliate chooses not to air a program the network can seek an alternative station. Subchannels have changed that process. In the past if a local station wanted to air other content (such as in market sports) their network content could end up on another station. Some stations simply postponed the network content to a different hour. (For example, still using their right to first air, but airing prime time at 1am.) Now network content could end up on a subchannel and many stations have two major network affiliations using their primary and a secondary sub channel. Those networks are prohibited by their affiliation agreements from offering a direct feed.

14. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I am so happy that I have both one AM-21 and two LCC for OTA. Also, I see Heroes and Icons is available OTA. OTA number of channels that I am seeing is now 129 with three more new channels with programming unknown coming during the current FCC repack.

15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Given that Directv doesn't carry any diginets on subchannels there would be no loss to local affiliates if the diginet networks offered them national carriage switch to a provider who offered the local one that carried the local ads. I doubt the affiliates actually believe people would leave Directv over diginet carriage alone. There might be a few who would, but the number would be so small it could hardly be measured. The diginets could cut the rates they charge the affiliates a few percent to make them happy out of the money they got from Directv.

The question is what is in it for Directv. They increase their costs and have to pass that along to customers as higher prices or reduce their profit, but it isn't something that's likely to retain the customers who are leaving or induce people to come to Directv who otherwise wouldn't in any great (or even small) numbers. Dish might be doing it just to differentiate themselves. They have diginets, Directv has NFLST, and so on. Each has their own things that appeal to certain customers.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The concept is that DISH carries ONE channel nationwide and everyone who can receive that channel watches the same feed. DISH is not carrying every subchannel of every diginet nationwide via a separate feed. Uplinking a few national feeds should not be a heavy burden, even on AT&T|DIRECTV. They simply have not made the decision to carry those feeds.

I agree that DIRECTV doesn't need to carry the diginets. Neither does DISH, although to remain competitive with cable companies that DO carry every subchannel having access to the major diginets via satellite isn't a bad idea. For the diginets not carried the OTA tuners come in handy (for compatible receivers).

Dishdude714 likes this.
  17. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I wish DirecTV had a nation wide version of H&I

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

18. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Dec 28, 2014
    new york
    How does H&I work on AT&T U Verse?

dtv757 likes this.
  19. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    KAZA is owned by Weigel Broadcasting,which owns ME-TV. KVME used to air ME by piggybacking off the signal from KDOC(which also airs ME OTA on Channel 56.3 for those who can’t access KAZA due to its being based near Catalina Island in Avalon)

Dishdude714 likes this.
  20. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    Trying to get some more traction here for Directv to add MeTV and the other Diginets. Anyone switch to Dish Network to get them and how was your experience? What I've heard about picture quality on Dish is holding me back.