MeTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jal, Dec 19, 2019.

1. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I would really appreciate Directv adding MeTV to their National Lineup, as Dish Network did. I love watching the old shows. Is there a link anyone has to Directv to request channels so we can start requesting that the channel be added?

2. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I think that you will find that MeTV is available in many cities on the subchannel of local broadcast stations.

MeTV – America's #1 Classic Television Network

ericknolls likes this.
  3. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You'll also find that Directv rarely carries subchannels, so that doesn't do most people any good.

compnurd and Dishdude714 like this.
  4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Nah, don't waste your time ....

Unless you're lucky enough to have MeTV carried on the primary channel of a local station in your market, like we have here in L.A. on KAZA 54-1. Then DIRECTV won't carry it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

5. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    They added a subchannel in my area a couple of years back that is a MyNetworkTV affiliate but outside of MNT hours its affiliated with MeTV.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Here in the NY Metro its on Channel 33, and DirecTV is carrying it.

7. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    It's channel 2 in the Philly area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

8. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    You're better off begging them for a LCC unit and pulling in your local MeTV OTA and having it integrated into the guide. Besides, I think even the Dish national feed is blacked out for some/many because the local affiliate has the rights.

9. Jan 3, 2020 #9 of 17
    JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    my local nbc station carries metv as subchannel and appears on channel 4 on my directv guide. I love the classic programming but I hate that nbc (wsaz) inserts their own programming like old episodes of law and order, as well as other older nbc shows in place of scheduled metv programming. would be nice if directv would add it like dish did or if my nbc station wouldn't mess up the metv shows with their own programming.

10. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    WSAZ's second sub-channel has a primary affiliation with MyNetworkTV which is why its branding is myZTV. The MeTV affiliation is a secondary affiliation used to fill most hours outside of MyNetworkTV's schedule which is Monday - Friday 8pm - 10pm. This is why you see re-runs of Law & Order: SVU, Chicago P.D., Dateline, Law & Order: CI and CSI: Miami on channel 4 (OTA 3.2).

I've watched myZTV regularly OTA before D* added it as a proper channel. When this sub-channel originally launched OTA (without D* carriage) in 2009 it had a secondary affiliation with This TV until 2015 when it switched to MeTV.

Except for Mondays - Fridays @ 7:00 AM (when they show a repeat of WSAZ NewsChannel 3 Today) and MyNetworkTV programming (8:00-10:00pm) it is pretty much a full time MeTV affiliate.

Prior to Gray Television (WSAZ's owner) purchasing WQCW in 2014, myZTV had more primetime syndicated shows from 10:30pm - 7:00am which blocked out ThisTV programming during that time. 10:00pm was for their 10 PM newscast in a half hour format which moved to WQCW in 2014 and expanded to an hour.

With the switch to MeTV, WSAZ eventually moved the syndicated programs they bought for myZTV to WQCW allowing myZTV to exclusively air MeTV programming outside of MyNetworkTV's primetime schedule. This was around the time DirecTV added the sub-channel as channel 4 in the market.

In most markets where MyNetworkTV is affiliated with a sub-channel this setup is the most common scenario which is to pair MyNetworkTV with a diginet and show all the diginet's programming outside of MyNetworkTV's regular hours.

Even if D* added the national feed of MeTV like Dish has done the local station can request the national feed to be blocked out when a local version is available. There is also a law called SyndEx (syndication exclusivity) and depending on their agreement with MeTV they can possibly invoke SyndEx causing D* to black out the national channel.

So the TL;DR prior to Gray's purchase of WQCW and during the days of the secondary ThisTV affiliation it was way worse as WSAZ actually did replace ThisTV's schedule with alternate programming. Praise be when Gray bought WQCW and switched the secondary affiliation on myZTV to MeTV cause we now get the full MeTV schedule on Saturday & Sunday and 21/23 hours per day on Mondays - Friday. :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    JcT21 likes this.
  11. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky

thank you for the detailed reply. I am glad wsaz bought wqcw. before they did cw prime time programming was always interrupted by sporting events. I called wqcw many times to complain and did a 3 way call with directv & wqcw to request a waiver so I could get the national cw feed. that was not successful. I am glad for the metv programming and prime time cw shows with no local sporting event messing that up. I remember their old facebook page was flooded with complaints.

for my area of eastern ky wymt is trying very hard to get their channel added to satellite. last I heard that's not going so well. id like for heroes & icons as well as this-tv to be added but I guess that's extremely unlikely.

12. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    If DTV goes all HD they won’t want to carry the national feed classic TV show network because the are in SD.

13. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    They are already doing this for ION.

14. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They are not going "all HD". They are dropping MPEG2 SD, there will still be plenty of MPEG4 SD channels after they do that.

15. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I did say if. Stuart over at the Solid Signal Blog says they are going all HD and no MPEG 4 SD channels. Has their been any official confirmation about DTV still offering some SD channels in MPEG 4 and would DTV have to carry them? I guess the only ones could be P/I? Or ones under contract or paying to be on their lineup but once those are done they could drop them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe you are misreading Stuart's words.

17. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I don't know what statement of Stuart's you are referring to but he probably said no MPEG4 SD duplicates. So all channels will be carried in MPEG4 (except 4K) but will be in either HD or SD, unlike the current situation where all[*] channels carried in HD also have an MPEG2 SD duplicate.

[*] Might not quite be "all", I think there are a few channels carried in MPEG4 HD that don't have an MPEG2 SD duplicate.