METV+

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, May 3, 2021.

1. May 3, 2021 #1 of 20
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I just read that Weigel is launching METV+ May 15th. I wonder if Dish will add it? After all Dish does have METV, H&I, as well as Start TV.

2. May 5, 2021 #2 of 20
    Joybandit

Joybandit New Member

Mar 7, 2003
    I wish Dish would add Decades and Antenna tv.

mwdxer likes this.
  3. May 5, 2021 #3 of 20
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I get Antenna TV OTA here, but no Decades. Decades was carried by KOIN (Nexstar) in Portland, but dropped it a few years back for Bounce, which I never watch.

4. May 5, 2021 #4 of 20
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd imagine that it would probably not happen until the MeTV contract come up.

According to an article on Reddit, MeTV+ will initially debut only in Chicago and Phoenix. MeTV management has declared that MeTV+ is an "experiment" so I wouldn't expect a huge swell of interest until management decides it is definitely worth expanding beyond O&O stations.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    METV+ is supposed to be carried on all of the Weigel stations. They have them in Seattle, LA, Chicago, Phoenix, and other markets. Took a look at their schedule on Titan Chicago listings. They are similar to METV on some of their line up. They do carry Westerns like "Branded". Mayberry RFD they also carry.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This makes the rather grand assumption that the aforementioned test marketing yields satisfactory results.

Don't count your chickens...

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Starting May 15 “MeTV Plus” will join the array of diginets programmed by the Chicago-based station owner. Locally it will air on WCIU 26.5 — replacing Bounce TV, which is moving to a digital tier Ion WCPX-Channel 38.

At the outset the network also will air on a digital subchannel of KMOH, the Weigel station serving Phoenix, Arizona. Weigel-owned stations in other markets are expected to follow.

8. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    I did a google search with no luck. I found this video that will give you instructions on how to view METV Plus schedule.

9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    A friend in Chicago now has it OTA. A mix of the current METV programming and some other material like Mayberry RFD, etc. He likes it as it offers offer classic TV. Luckily he also has Decades.

10. southsider

southsider New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Dallas
    Pluto TV has some fun channels that play 24 hours of one classic show all day long: Family Ties, Carol Burnett, Happy Days, Three's Company, Love Boat...

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I suspect that mwdxer is talking about TV decades before the likes of those shows.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The problem with so many of the classic TV networks like Antenna TV, ME TV, etc, they re-run the same dozen TV shows over and over. There are so many classic TV shows that are never aired and haven't in years. I have picked up some on DVD when available. A few from different decades, how about Trapper John, Ironsides, Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat, Decrember Bride, The Bill Dana Show, Eight is Enough, The Jimmy Stewart Show, etc? Antenna TV does run a few oddball sitcoms like Lots of Luck and the Paul Lynne Show. Going back to the 50s & 60s, variety shows like The Kraft Music Show (Perry Como), The Dean Martin Show, for two others. Johnny Carson "Here's Johnny" is a disappointment as they run few musical guests. Probably high ASCAP or BMI fees. One thing I liked about Johnny Carson was all of the old movie & TV stars he had on there. There are 70+ years of TV fare out there in a vaults, why not try out some new old material? Maybe a different old TV show each week. Get TV did some of that in the beginning. They ran "7 Brides for 7 Brothers" from the early 70s. That show I had not seen since it was on. But Get TV runs too much of the same old fare over and over now. They have ran a few old variety shows like Johnny Cash, and Sonny & Cher though.

13. Jillxz

Jillxz New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I get Decades here in Central Georgia OTA

14. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Weigel owns a full-power station here in Nashville that just shifted to a tower located nearer the city making reception easier for more people. MeTV is on the .1, of course. Surprised that they haven't added MeTV+ yet.

15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    METV+ is supposed to be added to all Weigel stations in the near future. I think Seattle has a couple too.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Source? Or the same speculation posted earlier?
    "Expected to follow" doesn't mean immediately after the primary launch.

17. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I read it somewhere, as Weigel wants to first test it out in Chicago. It make sense to add METV+ to their other stations, since Weigel owns them. Now getting other owners to add a channel may be harder. METV is one of the top diginets. So why not have a METV+ for more additional classic TV shows? People love the old shows. My only complaint, we need more variety. So many are re-run over and over of multiple services. There are many popular old shows that could be run. I can think of several, 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye, Trapper John, Eight Is Enough, to name a few.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I pointed this out in post #6. Test marketing is rarely done on a property-wide basis and before it goes any further than the test market, it needs to have captured some viewership.

At the very least, they need to figure out whether it should be an SD or an HD offering.

19. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, totally agree. I presume the test will be successful. Their line up looks pretty good, via the OnTV Chicago OTA guide.

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most of those shows didn't appeal to me 40+ years ago and they still don't appeal to me now. I don't imagine the situation is much different for anyone else under the age of 60.