1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MFH2- The nightmare goes on!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by djjolietjake, Apr 17, 2009.

1. djjolietjake

djjolietjake Cool Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Need some advice-Some background first: This a 38 story building. The 6th floor has the second to the last Master Stacker and has the MFH 2 system installed off the FTM ports.6th floor closet

"Problem: Missing transponders off the Swm 8 mods. Lower signal on the MFH 1 side as well.

-MFH 1 on 9 was running at the mid-20's – from the MS into a 4way, into 2 -8 ways.(LMX'S)
    on the 6th flr, I was running in the low to mid -40's – 2 way into 2 eight ways.

MFH 2 on 9 was running good
    MFH2 on 6- Missing transponders of all the swm's except the swm that was connected off the bottom of the chassis. This swm also has its own power supply so technically, its independent of the chassis.
    I also noticed that when the power coax feeding the first swm on the first slot, the light would go dim(like it was shorting out) but the signal would still be there.

I decided to first change the line coming from 9 into 6 just to see what would happen. My signal did increase by 3 db. I then decided to split the signal going into the SA 6A. When I did the first 2 lines, 101 even and odd, the chassis did not respond- signal went down a little( MFH1, at-9, and swm) and transponders did not restore. When I put those lines back on the master stacker, the chassis stopped receiving signal. The signal was there(coming out of and going to the chassis), but my lights on the chassis were flashing red. I also noticed that the amber light that shows power for the bottom slot was out, and the light for the second slot was dimming. I went to double check the input to the 101 even and as soon as I removed the line, the other lights went green!. When I put the 101 even back on, POOF! It would go back out.

I decided to bypass the the stacker for the 101 even by splitting the signal before the sa 6a. This fixed the problem. My swm signal went up a little,and no transponders were missing on a swm that had missing transponders before.

Before I did all this, I decided to check my c/n noise ratio. Checked it at the 33rd floor closet(2nd sa-6a in cascade), and at the 6th floor. Unfortunately, nothing changed(I had 14's on both floors in trp 1). As I checked other transponders, I was getting various readings on both floor varying from 10 to 15. I know that single digit c/n readings are bad but that was not the case.

After I put everything back together, I was able to verify pics in two units."

Any ideas? Did I miss something? Or should I blame it on Trump Tower going up?!? LOL!

Any advice would help...

2. D-Bamatech

D-Bamatech Godfather

Jun 28, 2006
    I just saw a SWM extender (sep pwr-ed from chasis) that If connected to the chassis bottom ports .. well???.. it screwed up the Whole world!!!
    = We split the cbl before the chassis and ran independent lines to the swm extender.

Your scene?... Who knows but enough to make me read this post twice.

3. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    No clue as to your problem but a flash says FMC-6 chassis designed to be powered from the bottom up.
    If wires, swm-8 or PI in bottom unit not right the whole chassis may be flakey.

Doctor j

4. woodybeetle

woodybeetle Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Just a quick question
    Are you putting satellite into the chassis from a SA6a directly? If so, are you blocking the voltage from the SA6A before the chassis. This system is designed to use(yeah I know) a MST Tap which blocks the voltage on the lines from the amps, I work around using Voltage Block Couplers and the problem goes away. we have also just used taps to feed our chassis in the closets with multiple chassis and have no problems.

5. MFH2Master

MFH2Master Cool Member

Dec 3, 2008
    This problem has happen to me before and the more common fix is terminating all of the empty port in the button of the chassis or any other device that you have on your riser. just make sure that you terminate this with Voltage Blocker terminators.

6. djjolietjake

djjolietjake Cool Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks guys! Now if I can only figure out why I can't get the 95 dish to work past the first closet at another building- My newest vendor/tech support dude (20 plus years of exp.) is scratching his head... Because of the size of this building, we're thinking its an EQ issue...

7. MFH2Master

MFH2Master Cool Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Make sure that at the Begining of your backbone you have a PI-6S. This will take care of your Issue with the 95.

8. djjolietjake

djjolietjake Cool Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks dude- its there... The 95 still isn't showing up... More to come I'm sure.

9. djjolietjake

djjolietjake Cool Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Flex port 5 self terminates itself and Flex port 6 when 5 has nothing connected to it(ergo 72.5). Solution: Connect the 95 to Flex Port 5.