1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MGM HD Are You Serious?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by bullitt, Oct 12, 2007.

1. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    I guess our providers believe we will accept anything that has an HD designation. MGM HD is evidence of that since the choice of movies seems to be limited to anything sold in those $4.99 DVD bins at Wal Mart. Anyone else feel the same way? :(

2. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    No.

3. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    Nope, couldn't agree less. MGM has many of the best modern & classic movies of all time. MGM owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising over 4,000 titles. http://www.imdb.com/company/co0020206/ They have just begun releasing to HD disc format and I believe as many films are encoded for disc we will see the MGMHD channel content grow very large and diverse. I also wouldn't expect near first run movies ie: HBO/STARZ/Showtime from a channel in a non premium tier, Which it seems some who are disappointed were expecting.

4. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    OK I get it, 20 year old "B" movies need a venue also but answer this question, would you pay an extra $4.95 for this channel based on current assortment of "films"? If so, then you have addressed my original concern - you will watch anything if it says HD. Sorry but I'd choose content over eye appeal anytime and many of the so called HD channels like UHD and MGMHD are just recycled TV shows and old movies that failed to capture an audience because of poor content. Yes you can put lipstick on a Pig but its still a Pig.

Just my $.02

5. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    There is nothing wrong with showing older movies that were filmed in widescreen. I have watched a few, Play Dirty, 633 Squadron, that are very old but were good stories and they looked great. All the new movies are shown over and over and over on the premium channels. You may find 3 or 4 new movies a month on those channels. And yes alot of those new movies are "B" and "C" movies. I am waiting for them to remaster Casablanca in HD 4:3 aspect. Would watch it in a heart beat.

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Would I pay... yes.

Next week 2 Bond films that will be in the best shape since I saw them in the theater. The other nite I recorded the classic 633 Squadron. Beautiful print.

If you dont like classics, dont watch, but consider this... MGM channel was see in 141 countries across the planet BEFORE it came to the US through DirecTV.

Got to be somebody out there watching

7. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    The 4.95 / 4.99 tier MGM, UHD, HDNET, HDNETM, MHD & Smithsonian is a fair value when compared to premiums at what $12 for the first.........

8. apexmi

apexmi Godfather

Jul 8, 2006
    The HD-DVD of Casablanca is awesome. 4:3 HD B&W almost looks 3d it really is stunning

9. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    To follow up on apexmi's comment, you'll probably need to wait for Turner Classic Movies HD for Casablanca to be broadcast in HD. Casablanca is a Warner Bros. film. Even it had been produced through MGM, you probably would still have to wait for TCM HD since Warner Bros. owns the vast majority of MGM's "classic" films.

As for the topic itself, whether I'm interested in the films or not I'm happy anytime a film studio makes more of it's catalogue available to the public.

10. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    Yes, but movies like Casablanca, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Bridge over River Kwai etc. are not "old movies" they are classics and I'd watch them in any Aspect Ratio. These are not in same category as "dreck" that MGMHD is throwing at us.
    Here's a sample of some of the "classics" we can sample this month:
    Cheech & Chong's Corsican Bros.
    Ned Kelly
    Hot Dog The Movie
    Easy Wheels
    Fireball 500
    Yes, sprinkled throughout are some good movies but they are always available on TBS or some other "Premium Movie" channel.
    I agree and I would not subscribe to any "Premium" channel were it not for their home produced series like The Wire, Dexter, Weeds, Californication, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage. I can't remember the last time I was compelled to watch a movie on HBO, Cinemax Starz or Showtime. And based on this years crop of replacements on HBO, I will shortly sever my relationship with them for first time since 1982.

What really bugs me is that I can't watch a PPV movie when I want in HD and DD5.1.

11. Inkeyes

Inkeyes Mentor

Oct 12, 2006
    I went and looked at the 4000 movies in MGM's library by following the link to the IMDB site. Wow ... do they have a lot of dog crap movies, or what? As someone pointed out, they may have a lot of great classic and modern movies, but it looks like the other 98% of their movies are dog crap. Is it just me? Please go and look a the movie listing at IMDB.

12. notnufbw

notnufbw Legend

Dec 10, 2006
    I went, I saw, I strolled down memory lane and I agree there is definitely some doggy do-do on that list......but there's plenty of great stuff too....hope they put some of the good stuff on the tube someday.

VR

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's all personal choice, but personally I think the selection is pretty good.

14. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    If its not for you, don't subscribe. Yes, most better-known and classic MGM movies are currently licensed to other providers in the US.

Most of the movies on the schedule have not appeared on a premium movie channel in a long time, IMHO, and I appreciate the chance to see them in commercial-free, unedited HD.

15. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    Actually, MGM HD seems to have some of the sharpest HD in the group of channels just released.

What is surprising is how many movies with recognizable names, like Kirsten Dunst and Elizabeth Shue, are out there that I seriously don't remember being in the movies. Some are quite good.

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I recorded On The Beach this morning. After reading the book years ago I've always wanted to see the movie.

I'm very glad we have MGM HD.

17. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Oh man! That is one of my all time faves!!! And I missed it!!! I've got to do some serious searches on MGM so I don't miss something else!!

18. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    Even if there are only 2 or 3 movies a month on MGM HD then for me it is worth it. Did anyone say that you have to watch all the movies on a movie channel to find value?

19. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Sums it up for me as well.

20. bullitt

bullitt Legend

Apr 26, 2002
    That's because they don't belong on a Premium Channel. :nono2:
    So let's see, we now will pay $15 for HD channels with content from cancelled TV shows, part time channels with paid programming most of time like NEW Fox Business and movies that are bad in any format.

BTW, my wife turned on Desperately Seeking Susan on MGMHD and the sound was VCRish bad. Watching HD Movies with VCR sound is not very enjoyable. It's only a matter of time before they do to HD what they did to NFL, split it up into packages and keep charging us more for same old crap. I'm sure they will add more new packages with one must have and three losers for $4.99 and you will keep subscribing because it's HD.

Sorry, but if you keep saying yes with your checkbook they will consider that as a validation of their actions. Believe me its not the 5 bucks but its the principle. Some of you have shelled out hundreds of dollars to upgrade to an inferior device (compared to Tivo) and a new dish with the promise that there would be no additional charges once they turn on the "100" HD channels and now you are offered recycled programming for more money.
    If we all balk, I certainly can live without new HD Package, they will get a different message and offer it for the $10 we are already paying. The Season Ticket people did this and now they are offering Super Fan for nothing, exactly what it's worth.