1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MGM HD - Commercials

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nmetro, Sep 17, 2008.

1. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    DISH Network is now inserting commercials on MGM HD. At least one case where a commercial ended up in a middle of a movie (obviously a miscue). Isn't this a non-commercial HD channel? Something similar to a premium channel?

As for the commercials, they were standard definition.

A way to make revenue on channels that normally don't run commercials. It is bad enough that they stick in the fill in commercials on the cable channels (Enzyte, Maxaderm, Super Claening Cloth, etc.), but doing so on non-commercial channels is going to far. No wonder they are losing subscribers.

And yes, no new HD for over six weeks.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I haven't seen what you are talking about... but I don't believe Dish could insert commercials to a non-commercial channel without permission of that channel... which would then make that channel a commercial channel. IF there are commercials here, like UniversalHD started doing, then blame the channel for it.

3. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I think you can blame the channel because there are commercials on this channel from DirecTV, also.

I've only seen them between movies, however.

4. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Another reason why I don't subscribe to that tier. it's not worth $10.. Dish must be hurting since the VOOM days.

5. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

Those ads are from the Google partnership from two years ago.

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    DANG! I keep forgetting that TCM isn"t in AT 100. I'm dumping Comcast for Internet next month for DSL $19 VS $60 Comcast.

7. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I watched a concert on Palladia the other day and was amazed at all the commercials. At first it was one about every 20 minutes. Later on it was one every 3 songs.

8. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I want RAVE!! ;)

9. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Hey, don't bring that up or the moderators will close the thread since there is another........oh, never mind. :p

P.S. I miss it too!

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    No questioning moderation!!! ;)

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    About the only good thing about Palladia and all of its commercials are:

(1) they haven't sold anywhere near enough to fill the hour so most commercials are just short promos, and

(2) as opposed to when it was MHD, the breaks are a lot quieter than the program. I often just listen to a concert off of Palladia/MHD - the Dave Matthews one running now is excellent - only sitting down ocassionally to watch the songs I really like, and this way I can easily ignore the promo breaks.

12. Terry740

Terry740 AllStar

Nov 15, 2005
    That's about right for the music channels. That why I pause it for about 30 or 40 minutes while I do something around the house then I watch and listen.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Remember...

All things in moderation... including moderation.

;)

14. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Moderately speaking?:lol:

15. grog

grog Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    :)